Way back in 2003, when I was pregnant with Sonia, we bought a bunkbed for Joshua and Lisey to share.
Later, Lisey and Sonia shared it, and then until last year, Sonia and Zoe shared it.
So, every kid in our family has slept in this bed!
Once Joshua moved out, Sonia and Zoe both got their own rooms, and Mr. FG and I unstacked the bunkbeds.
I wasn’t about to paint the beds in the cold of winter, so I put this on my summer to-do list.
I took the beds apart, which required me getting underneath Sonia’s with a drill.
I had Sonia and Zoe help me sand these down, using my Bosch orbital sander.
A nice thing about refinishing is that you can even out colors. These had fade marks from where the top bunk rail used to be.
I also was able to fill the screw holes left from the rail and the ladder (both not necessary once the beds were unstacked.)
Also…a certain unnamed child chewed part of the top bunk when said child was small and the bed was quite new.
So, I was glad to finally be able to sand that damage down and paint over it!
After sanding, I primed everything with Zinnser water-based primer.
And then it was time for paint; Benjamin Moore Advance, satin sheen, in Cloud White.
Once all the painting was done (two coats, three in places that were especially hard to cover), I let the pieces dry for a day or two, just to let the paint get nice and hard.
And then I put the beds back into Sonia and Zoe’s rooms.
Zoe’s now matches all the rest of her white furniture.
(The things around her bed are hung low because they had to be when her bed was a lower bunk. We’ll rearrange them when we paint her walls.)
She’s getting rid of this wall color this month, but the white bed does look great with it!
Sonia’s is lookin’ good with her gray walls.
When we got this bed in 2003, I put the included finials in a bag and I’ve stored them ever since, on the off chance we’d un-stack the beds one day.
And I’m really glad now that I did!
This project took me two days to complete, mainly because I had to sand and paint both sides of the headboards and footboards.
That means a lot of extra sanding, painting, and drying time.
But it’s done, and now the girls both have beds that look new and that match their rooms so much better than before.
I got Sonia’s dresser painted as well, so keep an eye out for that later this week!
A white twin bed with drawers
A craigslist pine bed, painted white
Before and afters of kitchen cabinet painting
I turned my pickled oak cabinets white with Benjamin Moore Advance paint.
A duo of Goodwill nightstands
I painted a pair of nightstands from Goodwill to replace our old Ikea nightstands.
Before and afters of a tallboy dresser from Freecycle
This dresser was in really bad shape, but a coat of paint fixed it up very nicely.
A freecycle nightstand
It almost perfectly matches the freecycle dresser!
A freecycle dresser and nightstand
Here's my first foray into white furniture painting.
Twin beds turned white
An unstacked bunkbed set, made fresh with Benjamin Moore Advance paint.
Black Ikea loft bed
I turned a walnut craigslist loft bed black for Joshua.
Black hand-me-down bed
I fixed a terrible paint job from the past, when I had no idea what I was doing!