Prosciutto-Crusted Mini-Quiches

by Kristen on March 26, 2013 · 22 comments

in Aldi

Hey guys!

Just popping in really quick to share a recipe. The people at the Aldi test kitchens sent me a $10 certificate and several Easter recipes and projects to choose from, each under $10. I decided the mini quiches were calling my name.

IMG_7105

These are perfect for me because while I love quiche filling, I am seriously not a fan of pie crust (unless it’s graham cracker crust!)

The original recipe had no crust, but I decided to line my muffin tin with prosciutto, which is actually from Aldi, so it’s a totally legit addition. ;) (I first saw this idea on Nom Nom Paleo.)

Sadly, no one in my family shares my affection for quiche, so I made a half recipe with just four eggs.

IMG_7101

I also left out the mushrooms (not a fan!) and subbed Swiss cheese for the cheddar.

Incidentally, I am so very happy that Aldi carries Swiss year round now. Woo!

IMG_7102

These were pretty tasty right out of the oven, but I thought they were even more delicious the next day, cold out of the fridge.

IMG_7109

They make a very easy grab and go breakfast, and unlike many portable breakfast foods, they’re not filled with sugar and refined carbs. So, that’s a nice little plus.

A few notes: if you’re using prosciutto, I’d use less salt in the filling, since prosciutto is quite salty. Also, next time I’d stir in some heavy cream to make these a little bit more rich and creamy. I do that when I make scrambled eggs, and I think most quiche recipes call for that as well.

And, I’m sure you could go pretty crazy subbing veggies in here…sauteed red peppers would be good, and so would sliced green onions. Chopped spinach would work well too.

Prosciutto-Crusted Mini Quiches

8 large eggs
1 cup shredded sharp sheddar cheese
20 grape tomatoes
1/2 cup mushrooms (quite optional!)
1/2 cup onion
1/2 tsp. salt (use a little less if using prosciutto)
1/2 tsp. black pepper
salsa (optional)
prosciutto (optional)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Saute onions and mushrooms in a small pan until veggies release their juices (I sauteed mine in a bit of butter.)

In a medium bowl, whisk eggs, salt, and pepper together. Stir in cheese, sauteed veggies, and diced grape tomatoes.

Grease muffin cups, and if using prosciutto, neatly press prosciutto into each muffin cup.

Pour quiche batter evenly into muffin cups. Bake 15-18 minutes, or until quiches are firm and slightly brown. Serve with salsa if desired.

P.S. You can see some of the other spring Aldi projects on the Aldi pin board.

disclosure: Aside from the $10 certificate, this post is not sponsored in any way. All opinions and photos are my own, because even if I was a sellout, $10 wouldn’t really do the trick. ;) Hee.

________________________

Joshua’s 365 post: Snow, snow, snow!!!

1 Economies of Kale March 26, 2013 at 7:58 am

Yum, thanks for sharing :) I think they would also be a tasty and portable lunch to take to work. And I can’t believe no one else in your family likes quiche – more for you I guess :)

2 The Norwegian Girl March 26, 2013 at 8:33 am

oh, I love quiches! especially mini sized! this recipes looks really easy too, definitely something I have to try sometime. I mean, prosciutto? eggs? it`s a done deal!

3 Tina Ray March 26, 2013 at 9:15 am

Love quiche. My mom stopped using pie crust as somehow she figured out (she makes a whole pie) that the cheese cooks just right and makes its own crust!

I made chicken cordon bleu with all Aldi ingredients. So easy:
-Pre-heat oven to 350
-Pound a piece of boneless skinless breast or thigh (we buy the thighs that are in the bags)
-Put a slice or two of ham lunch meat (depends on how this the ham is) on the thinned out chicken
-Put a slice of swiss cheese on top of the ham
-Roll up and secure with toothpicks
-Season with your favorite spices
-Place chicken in baking dish for about 30 minutes (or until juices run clear)

I mix a can of Fit N Active cream of chicken soup with a little bit of milk (you want it a little thick) and drizzle of the chicken.

4 Tina Ray March 26, 2013 at 10:03 am

*thick the ham is

5 Lili@creativesavv March 26, 2013 at 9:54 am

Mmm, that looks yummy!

Kristen, there’s a recipe for a gluten-free rice crust that’s pretty good, if you’d like a crust but don’t like traditional pie pastry. It just uses leftover rice, egg white and cheese. Spray a pie plate with non-stick cooking spray. Combine 2 cups cooked brown rice, 1 egg white and 1/4 cup grated cheese. Press into pie plate, up sides and on bottom. Bake at 350 F for 5 minutes. Cool while putting together the rest of the filling.

6 Kathy March 26, 2013 at 1:28 pm

This sounds great!

7 Canadian Budget Binder March 26, 2013 at 10:39 am

I love quiche and these are so easy to make and won’t cost a lot to make. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

8 Kathy March 26, 2013 at 1:27 pm

Yay! I am going to make these this week, as we are observing Passover so we don’t use flour. (Will leave off the prosiutto, though :) )

9 WilliamB March 26, 2013 at 3:36 pm

How about duck prosciutto?

10 Hannah March 26, 2013 at 1:32 pm

Definitely on my list!
Thanks for the idea!

11 Susan March 26, 2013 at 2:23 pm

so funny, selling out for a $10 coupon. hee-hee

12 WilliamB March 26, 2013 at 3:36 pm

No, FG, hold out! Your commercial soul is worth a lot more than $10.

13 Kristen March 26, 2013 at 5:55 pm

Um, that was my point. I can’t exactly be bought for $10. =P If I wasn’t already enthusiastic about Aldi, $10 couldn’t convince me to change my mind.

I mean, honestly, I’d like to think I couldn’t be bought for any amount of money, but I suppose I’d have to think hard about it for a million dollars. Hee.

I don’t think I’m ever going to have to face such a moral conundrum, though, more’s the pity!

14 Samantha March 26, 2013 at 2:51 pm

Yum! I think I may make these and freeze them for easy on the go snacks

15 Susan March 26, 2013 at 4:53 pm

I don’t like the pie crust on quiche either.
When I make it, I rub butter on the pie pan, and then sprinkle bread crumbs and swirl around, just like when you grease and flour a pan for a cake, but you use butter and bread crumbs instead. Then make your filling, pour it in the pan, and cook how you usually cook it.

16 Grace March 27, 2013 at 3:19 pm

I saw you mention making your own vanilla extract. Would you be willing to share the recipe? Also, do you know how to make home made almond extract?

17 Katie March 27, 2013 at 7:28 pm

How long do you think these would be good for in the refrigerator after cooking? I’m new to quiche making and these sound delicious but I would probably be the only one to eat them so I’m trying to decide between a whole or half recipe. :) Thanks!

18 Erin@TheWellGirl March 28, 2013 at 9:27 am

Hey, I noticed you linked to one of my favorite Paleo blogs! Are you interested in Paleo or just randomly found the recipe? There are lots of good Paleo “egg muffin” recipes out there for those who don’t do dairy/cheese.

19 Kristen March 28, 2013 at 10:03 am

Well, I enjoy reading Nom Nom Paleo because of the food photography, mostly! ;) And although I’m not a Paleo eater (I’m not entirely convinced that things like whole oats are a bad choice, but I do think we Americans eat way too much in the way of sugar and refined grains), I have been on a mission to find ways to incorporate more vegetables into our diets, and Paleo blogs are good sources for that.

20 Alison Wood March 28, 2013 at 11:22 am

Hi Kristen!
These look so yummy! I am pinning it so I can make it when I get my oven. My family and I are missionaries in Asia and ovens are hard to come by, but I am finally getting one in May, so your recipe is on my “to bake” list! I love quiche!
I want to thank you for your great posts and most importantly for your stand for Christ. It is so refreshing to see another blogger who puts their complete trust in Jesus Christ for salvation. I am a new follower and am going to recommend your blog to other Christian moms that are looking for blogs to read for inspiration. I am from the Southeast too:)
Visiting from Pint-sized Treasures

21 Miriam March 30, 2013 at 9:48 am

Thanks for this recipe! I have stopped eating wheat and sugar last year and came here less frequently because of it. But seeing you also enjoy the nom nom paleo blog and sometimes even cook her stuff makes me very happy! I will check back more regularly once again.

22 Courtney April 3, 2013 at 3:32 am

i have never like quiche, i think because of the crust/egg mixture. i can’t wait to try this as i love eggs but i get sick of scrambled or over hard. thank you! love your blog by the way, so down to earth and honest.