Food Waste Friday | It’s a tomato-y week.

Every week, I post a picture of the food that has gone bad over the last seven days. Why do I do this? Because in March of 2008, I finally got fed up with the amount of food I was wasting, and I thought that showing my waste to other people would motivate me to use up my food instead of wasting it. Because this often embarrassing practice was so helpful for me, I invited other bloggers to join me in posting their food waste photos, and Food Waste Friday was born. If you’re not a blogger but still want some food waste accountability, feel free to participate by leaving a comment.

I bought a pack of tomatoes at Aldi and last night, I noticed that one of them had started to get hairy. I routinely salvage tomatoes that have a bad spot or that are getting a little wrinkly, but hairy tomatoes are never the recipient of such effort.

Nope, those go straight into the compost bin.

Also, this jar of tomato sauce got moldy while we were away on vacation and I forgot to mention it in last week’s food waste post.

I really need to remember to freeze opened jars of tomato sauce before we go away, because this is not the first time I’ve lost tomato sauce this way.

On a more cheerful note, I had some leftover salmon to use this week, and I’m proud to say it’s all gone (those of you who remember my bad adding-salmon-to-scrambled-eggs experience will appreciate this fully).

________________________________________________

How did you do this week? If you blogged about your food waste, link us up by entering your info into the widget below. You’ll save money, reduce your trash output, and get a little publicity for your blog! And if you don’t blog, you can still share about your food waste by leaving a comment.

space

Today’s 365 post: Lisey: Mommy’s making brownies!

Comments

I love the idea of freezing the spaghetti sauce! I will be using that! There is nothing worse than opening a jar and seeing green stuff! Yuck!

One little tomato is not bad, and I am sure you are not the only guilty one with a splash of sauce left! Thanks for posting this because it helps me save money by not tossing food that could have been used up!! Thanks agian

You can freeze spaghetti sauce?! In the jar?

My fridge almost always has half of a jar of spaghetti sauce in it (which speaks more to poor menu planning on my part). This is a revelation.

• Kristen says

Yep, you certainly can! If you buy the type in a metal can, you’ll want to transfer it to a different container, but a glass jar totally works.

• Kristen says

I do, but it’s too cold here for tomato plants, and also, I’m pretty sure this plant is a hybrid and the seeds are probably not any good!

So, I’m composting it and turning it into dirt for my tomato plants.

4. Danielle Myers says

I love reading your blog daily!!! It really inspires me to be more frugal! I was wondering if you have ever used a food dehydrator? I have never heard you mention it before and know that it is a great way to stop leftovers from going bad as well as save money on produce.I also love making my own homemade dried fruit, veggies,fruit leathers,jerky, and seasonings with the dried pulverized veggies. I just got my dehydrator and have found that I have become addicted to it! I just bought a flat of tomatoes for $5.00 and a flat of strawberries for $5.00 and dried both of them. Now I have dried strawberries to add to my cereal and I can add the tomatoes to any soup/sauce, or grind them up to have tomatoe powder…which can be used to make homemade v-8 juice, spaghetti sauce etc etc. I love it!!!

• WilliamB says

I make meat jerkey. Doing the cost comparison was a real revelation! Even using extremely pricy organic pastured meat, the jerkey was only a little more expensive than storebought crud. A simple dehydrator is about $35 last I checked, or you may be able rig your oven – you need a temp of about 150F to dehydrate foods.

• says

I love, love, love my dehydrator. My only problem is trying to dry stuff faster than I eat the finished product. Must get on and do lots more apples soon. Pretty soon there won’t really be any nice ones left and it always seems like a long time until the new harvest arrives at the end of summer.

• Kristen says

I don’t have one, but have considered it before. My one big hang-up is space. My kitchen isn’t long on storage space, and a dehydrator isn’t small.

• WilliamB says

Sounds like an oven experiment may be in order. How low does your oven temp go? Or how high with just the bulb on? You need to hit about the right temp to dry meat but you can dry produce at oven temp. If you’re not comfortable with the not-quite-right temp of oven dried produce, you can keep in the freezer after you dry it.

• says

Mine lives on the bottom shelf of a telephone table in my hallway. When I want to use it, I take it out, load it up at the table and then plug it in wherever I happen to not be, i.e. if I’m going to be working in the kitchen or sitting room, I plug it in in the bedroom where it’s not going to be bothering me. If I’m putting it on overnight (most common), I just plug it in in the hallway and leave it sitting on the stool there.

I would like to get a much larger one but the small round one I have at the moment is fine and the portability of it works well for me at the moment.

If you do decide to dry using your oven, don’t forget to wedge the door open with a wooden spoon or similar so that the moisture can escape.

I am such a crusader for as I like to say… ‘fresh frozen!’ My husband thinks I’m crazy! But I’m tickled to know that I’m not the only one that chucks things in the freezer to extend their life!!

6. wanda says

No waste for me this week. I’ve been a stickler this week and didn’t buy any apples at the famers market. Got things I will actually eat.

I had some moldy cheese and moldy grapes. I lost the cheese in the fridge and didn’t find it until I was going through everything.

I have no excuse for the grapes. Sigh.

8. Frances says

Since you have a family of six, and a busy schedule , you should be proud that was all that was wasted!!!

9. Diane says

I routinely make my own spaghetti sauce. Unless we have the entire family over for dinner, it is way too much for the two of us to eat at one time. Therefore, I always freeze the leftover sauce in two-portion size containers. Great on busy days with little time to cook.

I always toss leftover sauce straight in the freezer, although I buy it in the can so it goes in Tupperware first. I have thrown out too much moldy sauce to ever put it in the fridge again! I try to remember to take it out of the freezer in the morning if I’m using it that night, but if not I use the soup defrost setting on my microwave.

11. Erika says

I’m kind of surprised you don’t make a whole jar of sauce and a whole box of pasta for your family of 6! Or was this for another culinary adventure? :)

Thought it was about time to get back in the food waste Friday habit. Actually, I haven’t been buying much food at all recently because I was tired of having to dump stuff just because I haven’t had the wherewithal to cook or prepare it. So for the last few weeks my fridge has just been nearly empty most of the time.

From the storecupboard though, this week I threw out some popcorn. I can’t actually remember when I bought it, because it was in Tupperware rather than its own packaging but it was something between three and five years old and it did taste funny when I made some so I decided to just cut my losses and get rid of it all.

I’ve always wanted to use a compost. Where do you put it? Do you have a post about starting one. I try to challenge myself not to waste anything. It’s trendy to use coupons now, I just hi=ope people really eat most of the food to get the savings. Great post.

14. Jenny says

The last 4 strawberries in the carton. They were on sale, and of course, they had no flavor because it was February. Managed to get through almost all of them, but lost the last few. It’s amazing how wretched out of season stuff tastes once you get used to eating more in season, or freezing/canning when stuff is at peak ripeness.

Wow! I never knew you could freeze jars of sauce! I was under the assumption the glass would shatter or some such. I usually just pop the rest into an ice cube tray like I do tomato paste.

What a fabulous idea! Will def do from now on.

we didn’t manage to use up about 1/2 cup of krab before leaving on a trip. couldn’t refreeze it, so it sits on the refrigerator shelf still until time to empty the trash can. It shames me every time I see it in there, but it is the only thing we wasted recently!