Wednesday Baking | Cinnamon Crumble Coffee Cake

by Kristen on January 6, 2010 · 49 comments

in Quick Breads, Wednesday Baking

Today is the day to use c’s in blog titles, apparently. It’s also a non-yeast day here on Wednesday baking. Although I made this recipe and took pictures a few weeks ago, coincidentally, I am completely out of yeast at the moment (boo!). So, it’s appropriate timing.

I received this recipe as a newlywed from not one, but two women at my church, and I’ve used it here and there over the last 12 years when I need a coffeecake but don’t have time to mess with yeast.

You may have noticed that yesterday, I managed to upload a printable PDF version of the Tortellini Soup recipe (woo!). I’m doing the same thing today, and I plan to continue that every time I post a recipe. Thanks for all the free PDF writer suggestions…I’m most appreciative!

Because this coffeecake uses no yeast, the preparation is about as simple as that of muffins. You mix the dry ingredients together:

Cream the butter and sugar, and add an egg and some milk.

Combine the two, and spread into a greased 8×8 pan (or a 9×13 if you’re making a double recipe, as I was this particular day).

Now, that boring-looking white blob of dough is a coffeecake, but it’s not a cinnamon crumble coffeecake. So, to lift it out of the boring realm and into the heavenly, mix the brown sugar, butter and cinnamon together.

and dump it all on top of the coffeecake.

Using a fork, swirl the cinnamon mixture all through the coffeecake dough.

Then, bake it and enjoy the cinnamon-y goodness.

Here’s a printable Cinnamon Crumble Coffeecake Recipe, and for those of you who don’t have a PDF reader, here’s a regular version.

Cinnamon Crumble Coffeecake

1/2 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons flour
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
2 tablespoons melted butter

Directions

1. Heat oven to 350.

2. Cream butter and sugar, and mix in egg and milk.

3. Combine dry ingredients in a small bowl.

4. Gently mix dry ingredients into wet ingredients just until moistened, and spread into a greased 8×8-inch baking pan.

5. Combine cinnamon crumble ingredients and sprinkle atop coffeecake dough. Using a fork, swirl cinnamon mixture through dough.

6. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 25-30 minutes.

1 Mrs Green January 6, 2010 at 8:55 am

That looks and sounds delicious – thank you for sharing the recipe. Can I ask then, is ‘coffeecake’ something that you eat with a cup of coffee rather than a cake flavoured with coffee? Over here it’s the latter and I was thinking ‘hang on a minute, she forgot to add the coffee powder’ but I assume not?

2 Kristen January 6, 2010 at 9:35 am

Yes, it’s the first! lol I have seen the odd coffeecake that has coffee in it, but mostly they are sweets that accompany coffee.

Of course, since I loathe coffee, I never eat coffeecakes with a steaming cuppa Joe. lol

3 Reese January 6, 2010 at 10:44 am

I am jumping up RIGHT NOW to make this! Thanks so much for sharing : )

4 Elizabeth January 6, 2010 at 11:10 am

My husband looked over my shoulder as I read your post and cried, “Hey! I think my father used to make that! I loved it!”

So I’ve nabbed it (thanks for both the recipe and the PDF version) and will make it in the next few days. Smile…

5 Merritt January 6, 2010 at 11:15 am

YUM! This sounds like something I’m definately going to try. I’m not sure if someone may have mentioned this to you, but over here in England it’s ok to ask the bakery section of your grocery store for some yeast & they’ll give it to you for free,as long as they have some going spare. Worth asking the question over there, right?!

6 Lindsay January 6, 2010 at 11:28 am

The PDF is a nice touch. Very cool. I should probably learn to do that too. Looks delicious, by the way.

7 Kristen January 6, 2010 at 1:57 pm

It was really easy. Just google Cute PDF, download it, and follow the instructions. Let me know if you have any questions.

8 Mrs. R. January 6, 2010 at 12:31 pm

Yummy for our tummy—gonna make this yet this week! Thanks so much.

9 Erika January 6, 2010 at 12:41 pm

Mmm…that looks so good! I love coffee cake. I especially love that I have all the ingredients on hand!

I was never much of a baker, but since I’ve started reading your blog (probably a few months now) I’ve started baking more. I bought ingredients piece-meal for every recipe (one time flour and yeast, one time baking powder, etc). It only took a few trips for me to realize that I had a fully-stocked baking pantry! Coming from a non-baking background, I never realized that you could make so much with a few variations of the same ingredients.

Perhaps you could do a post on what baking ingredients you make sure to always have on hand? I’d be curious to see if I’m missing anything!

10 Kristen January 6, 2010 at 1:57 pm

Duly noted!

11 Elizabeth January 6, 2010 at 12:42 pm

Whoo-hoo! A bread I can make without a mixer or yeast – I love it! (I love your other breads too, but this one I can make in the comfort of my shoe-box apartment.) I’m drooling at my desk just a little right now. Thanks for posting! :)

12 HeatherS January 6, 2010 at 1:49 pm

If I weren’t already making a birthday cake and pizza dough today, I would be baking this for sure! Will have to save it for later.

13 Kristen January 6, 2010 at 1:57 pm

I think you have a good excuse for waiting. lol

14 Sarah January 6, 2010 at 2:18 pm

This looks so easy, and so yummy! Thanks for sharing. Now for a more random question – what font did you use for the PDF? It’s so cute!

15 Annette January 6, 2010 at 3:03 pm

I just jumped up and made this too so it would be ready for when my youngest child gets off the bus. She will be so excited – as she loves this sort of thing. I have been looking for a recipe like this for awhile – well, thinking about one I used to make like this – but with Bisquick. I like this version better since I often don’t have any Bisquick. Thanks!

16 Dani January 6, 2010 at 5:46 pm

This sounds like the coffee cake my family makes every year at Christmas time … I think the only variation is that we add pecans with the cinnamon mixture. Thanks for the recipe!

17 Striving for a Simple Life January 6, 2010 at 9:47 pm

Is it possible to gain weight by reading posts? :-)

All your recipes look so good. Even my family is drooling over your post for today. Looks like I’ll be making Cinnamon Crumble Coffeecake for breakfast this weekend. :-)

Stephanie

18 Compact UK January 6, 2010 at 11:23 pm

Thank you so much for this recipe, I am going to try it gluten and sugar free, will let you know how it turns out :)

19 beany January 7, 2010 at 12:07 am

Kristen, I made the cake! and it’s Awesome!
I swear, I haven’t baked in over ten years because everything I made was such a disappointment, but I plucked up some courage, and first tried the chocolate cake and then decided to try this one.
At the point where I mixed the milk into the creamed sugar, butter and eggs, the whole thing looked like it had separated, as if my milk had gone bad, but I plugged along and it really is delicious. Now I have to tell myself not to have another piece!

Thank you for the awesome recipes!

20 Jen B. January 7, 2010 at 10:22 am

I ALSO made the cake yesterday! It was quite cold here yesterday and this turned out to be the perfect match to a hot beverage pick-me-up in the afternoon. It was super easy and requires no trip to the store to pick up obscure ingredients. Great recipe!

21 Indeeds January 7, 2010 at 3:57 pm

Having grown up on this cake…I can vouch for its yummy-ness :-)

Also, Kristen, thanks for asking – so far my pregnancy has been really easy! Other than being really hungry (and consequently my pants being tighter), I pretty much don’t feel any different – and I am now officially in 2nd trimester, so I think the worst (as far as nausea is concerned) should be over!

22 Sonjiatx January 7, 2010 at 10:43 pm

I made this cake today! It was a very cold day in Texas, low 20′s. The smell of cinnimon in the air was wonderful. I intended the cake for desert, after dinner. But, my husband and 2 sons got into it WHILE dinner was cooking…..all gone. Thanks for the recipe. It will be well used.

23 Megan January 8, 2010 at 2:34 pm

Made this on Thursday during my snow day! It was great to snack on all day long, which is what I did. And I had some for this morning for my two hour delay and I didn’t have to worry about make anything extra! Love it! Will be making this again! Thanks for the recipe!

24 Dawn February 3, 2010 at 4:30 pm

This was a delicious recipe, and easy, I tried it this weekend on my company and not a speck was left! Thanks for sharing. Love your web sight!

25 Rhona February 10, 2010 at 10:02 am

I just made this cake last Friday night and I have to say, it only survived until Saturday afternoon. I LOVED this recipe. Extremely simple, quick to prepare and gorgeously delicious. Thanks again!

26 Melissa February 10, 2010 at 11:37 am

Could you serve this as a breakfast cake or is it too sweet?

27 Kristen February 10, 2010 at 1:51 pm

Yup, we mainly eat it for breakfast!

28 Melissa February 10, 2010 at 6:51 pm

Made this cake this afternoon. I had the little girls across the street come over so Mom could get a break. I was going to make it later (tomorrow morning for breakfast). But, the Sugar cookie dough had to chill and the fudge had to chill so they were filling a little deprived of the fruits of their labors. So I told them we could make this and they could eat it. They actually ended up going home before it was done and after tasting I feel guilty thinking that I don’t want to share. It taste just like a yummy cinnamon roll! Especially warm. I definitely share…. And this recipe is going into my file for future use as well. Thanks Kristen.

29 Jessica February 23, 2010 at 1:24 pm

Thanks for the recipe, we made this last night and my family loved it. We doubled the recipe, and had it for a dessert last night and breakfast this morning. It was a hit and I am sure it will become a regular in our home.

30 Ashley February 25, 2010 at 11:56 am

I just made this, and it came out wonderful! Thank you for the recipe!

31 France February 28, 2010 at 4:13 am

thanks for the recipe!

32 Amanda Matthews March 20, 2010 at 6:37 pm

Oh My Goodness! This is SO yummy! It was really easy to make too! My Grandma would be proud! Thank you so much you posting.

33 Deb April 25, 2010 at 8:00 am

Mixed this up for a quick Sunday morning breakfast. BIG HIT! Thanks!

34 Lisa O Shea June 8, 2010 at 8:49 pm

In the oven as we speak, pudding last nite, and coffee cake today , i added cocoa because i love it and we still have ice-cream to eat, lol!

35 Megan July 5, 2010 at 4:29 pm

Hey I just made this and Although it tastes WONDERFUL! For some reason my topping did not crumble. Is there a special way to do it? I am new at cooking/baking and am thinking I mixed everything wrong. I completely melted the butter and just mixed everything. It was a thick liquid. Thank you so much for posting this great recipe.

36 Jennia Hart August 21, 2010 at 9:31 pm

This is a new family favorite at my house. Thanks for the yummy recipe!

37 Cheryl January 8, 2011 at 8:35 am

I had the same problem as Megan. Is it really supposed to be 2 T of melted butter? Once I melted that and added in the 1/2 cup brown sugar,2 tablespoons flour, and 1 teaspoons cinnamon it was more of a thick liquid than a crumble.

38 Danielle February 12, 2012 at 9:31 pm

FYI: I made this gluten-free with the flour mixture from “Cooking For Isiah”. Turned out great! Ratios stayed the same, except I had to bake it 35 mins. Though, my dish wasn’t 8×8, so maybe that is why.

Happy GF baking!

39 Marisa May 21, 2012 at 12:33 pm

My husband always requests Sara Lee coffee cake for camping (a tradition from his childhood), but I don’t particularly like to pay $6 for a frozen coffee cake. This year, I offered to make a coffee cake instead. He was *thisclose* to vetoing (I think the puppy dog eyes I gave him made him relent), but when I brought this out on Saturday morning, he said that it was the best thing I’ve ever baked AND even better than Sara Lee! So that’s high praise for an awesome recipe – thank you for sharing!

40 Kristen May 21, 2012 at 1:12 pm

Oh, that’s lovely to hear. Yay!!!

41 Brittnay Urdahl April 4, 2013 at 12:58 pm

This was shared with me by a dear friend and I finally made it today! Thanks for sharing it’s super simple and so far has made my house smell amazing:)

42 Christine June 9, 2013 at 12:46 am

I made this a few weeks ago and it turned out amazingly! The recipe is so simple… Very easy for a beginner baker like me! Thanks very much for posting such a detailed explanation of how to make it. The pictures really help!

I have another one of these in the oven, and I have a feeling I’ll be baking it many more times in the future. Great recipe. :)

43 Hannah June 30, 2013 at 4:57 pm

I just put it in the oven 10 minutes ago and the smell filling my house is DELICIOUS. I’m going to surprise my mom with it when she gets home from work! I also love how easy it is (being a teenager) and how it uses ingredients most people have on hand!

44 Svea November 10, 2013 at 1:07 pm

I just put this in the oven…I’m so nervous! :)
Things with baking powder have historically not gone well for me…No one can forget the great baking powder biscuit debacle where I used baking soda instead of powder…blech!
I’m worried about this one because the batter seemed so much thicker than in the pictures-more like a cookie dough before the last cup of flower than a cake batter…But I double checked all my measurements, so hopefully I’m just crazy! :)
nomnomnom. I’ll have to update once it comes out to tell people how awesome it tastes!

45 Svea November 10, 2013 at 1:50 pm

Pretty good!
Not as moist as I expect a coffee cake to be, but I also had to bake it for about 40 minutes because it was so goopy at first! My oven’s not very good at the whole cooking evenly thing, so take all that I say with a grain of salt. :)

46 Anindita January 14, 2014 at 6:10 pm

Hi!

I have made this recipe SO many times and it has come out perfectly each time (thanks to the recipe – not me!!). I was just about to make it again and the proportions for butter, milk, flour, salt, and cinnamon aren’t showing up (though I feel like I should know them by heart!!). Could you please repost them for us? Thanks!!

47 Kristen January 14, 2014 at 7:29 pm

Oh, geez…that must have gotten messed up during the migration. And darn it all, something is wrong and I can’t edit the post. I just submitted a support ticket to get it fixed.

To tide you over, try this printable link: http://www.thefrugalgirl.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/Cinnamon-Crumble-Coffeecake.pdf If you print it, then you’ll always have it!

48 Christine January 14, 2014 at 7:30 pm

Yes, it does look broken! Gosh, I knew I should’ve saved this recipe… I use it all the time!

Thank you in advance, Kristen!