Whole Wheat Pancakes

by Kristen on February 16, 2009 · 31 comments

in Breakfast, Recipes

I have a number of different breakfast recipes I’ve been wanting to share, and I thought I would just dedicate a week to posting them. Of course, we don’t usually eat these at breakfast…these are the foods make up our usual Sunday night dinners. ;)

First up is a whole wheat pancake recipe. These pancakes are 100% whole wheat, but they are light, fluffy, and delicious.

The kids and I often have these for lunch(I know…we’re weird! Pancakes for lunch or dinner, but not breakfast!) They’re very quick and easy to make, inexpensive, and they’re far more nutritious that the kind you make from a mix.

If you are unlike me and enjoy making pancakes ahead to reheat later, you can cook a large batch of these, let them cool, and store them in ziploc bags in the freezer until you need them.

I usually double this recipe when the five of us eat them for lunch, as one recipe really doesn’t make that many pancakes.

Whole Wheat Pancakes

img_1077

Ingredients

1 cup whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt

1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 cup buttermilk
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 egg

Mix dry ingredients(except for the brown sugar) in a bowl with a whisk, and, using a whisk or an egg beater, mix the brown sugar, buttermilk, oil, and egg in another bowl. I like to do this in a 4 cup measuring cup, so as to avoid dirtying another dish.

img_1057

Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, and mix gently. There will still be some small lumps of flour in the batter when you’re done, and that’s just fine. If you overmix the batter, you’ll have tough, chewy pancakes.

img_1062

Let the batter sit for 5-10 minutes. Meanwhile, heat a skillet over medium high heat until it’s hot enough to make a drop of water sizzle. If your skillet is nonstick, you probably won’t need to grease it, but if it’s a traditional pan, you’ll want to put some oil or butter in the pan before you make the pancakes. Drop 1/2 cup portions of batter into the hot skillet and cook the pancakes until bubbles form on top(by the way, do you see the lumps in my batter? That’s exactly how it should be.)

img_1074

Flip and cook for another 2-3 minutes. Serve warm, topped with butter and syrup.

1 Stacey February 16, 2009 at 8:00 pm

Yum!!! I was hoping for your whole wheat pancake recipe! Just in time for Mardi Gras when we are planning a pancake supper! Thanks so much!

2 Brenda February 2, 2011 at 9:43 am

Hi,
I just made some pancakes for breakfast. I put a 1/4 cup of rolled oats and chunks of freshly cut up apples in my batter. Oh, soo yummy! We don’t buy the boxed mix either, too much stuff in it that’s not necessary.

3 CanadianSaver February 16, 2009 at 8:07 pm

Oh those are nice and thick… I’m going to try them because I have a big 20# bag of whole wheat flour to use up!!

4 Kristen February 16, 2009 at 8:13 pm

Yup, they are nice and thick! I love thick pancakes…I think it’s the buttermilk that does that. When I’ve made them with regular milk in the past, they aren’t nearly as thick.

Since they’re so thick, it’s easy to overcook the outside before the inside is done, so err on the low side when it comes to the heat you cook them at.

5 Christie February 17, 2009 at 10:13 am

I’ve enjoyed reading your blog for some time now. I actually stumbled across it in a google search for homemade yogurt and voila! All my kids and my husband love the yogurt. We have started putting it in our pancakes in place of buttermilk. The result is much fluffier and moister pancakes. Also, do you mill your wheat or store buy it? I know this has made a huge difference for us in our ability to eat whole wheat anything :).

6 Kristen February 17, 2009 at 10:33 am

Hi Christie! That’s interesting about the yogurt…I’ll have to give that a try, as homemade yogurt is cheaper than buttermilk.

I mill my wheat…happily, I got a grain grinder as a wedding present 11 years ago, and it’s still going strong.

7 Gail February 17, 2009 at 11:16 am

Wow! This is a timely post. I’ve rediscoverd pancakes, and have been on a pancake kick. Hubby always made Sunday breakfast of bacon and french toast. I got tired of that, so now I make sausage and pancakes, but should really be doing whole wheat. Thanks for the recipe!

8 Just Gai February 17, 2009 at 6:27 pm

I make my yoghurt in a vacuum flask and strain it through a muslin cloth to thicken it. The last time I did this I kept the liquid and successfully used it to make a batch of scones. I’m now thinking that it might work just as well with pancakes. I’ll let you know how I get on.

9 Stacey February 17, 2009 at 7:15 pm

I’m interested in milling my own wheat – I’m currently paying $1.39/pound for the local, organic variety here and that is obviously pretty pricey. We make about as much bread/baked goods as you do and I think there is a good chance for more savings if I milled our own. I’ve never seen a “home mill”. I have a Kitchen Aid mixer and I’ve seen there are a lot of different attachments to add to it – do you know if there is a grain mill? Or do you know where you get a mill like you have and how much it costs? Where do you get your wheat and what does it cost per pound? Thanks in advance!

10 Kristen February 17, 2009 at 8:03 pm

Stacey, you can get organic hard red wheat for about $25/50 pound bag. I get mine through a place called Quail Cove Farms, but they only serve the DelMarVa area.

I think the KitchenAid has a grain grinder attachment. I haven’t ever used one, so I can’t vouch for how well they work. I own what’s called a Whisper Mill…next time I grind grain, maybe I’ll post some pictures. The one I have works very well. The flour is fine and light, just like whole wheat flour from the store.

Freshly ground grain is supposed to be a lot more nutritious than pre-milled flour, so that’s another good reason to mill your own.

11 Frugal Dreamer February 18, 2009 at 9:51 pm

I am going to make this, this weekend! I bought myself some buttermilk last night :) I love stealing your recipes!

12 Danielle February 28, 2009 at 12:50 pm

Made these today, Kristen. They were great!

13 WilliamB June 3, 2009 at 2:18 pm

Perfect timing for me. I have some ww flour to use and I’m not sure I want to use my usual recipe for it. (It’s the multi-grain bread from Mar06 CI, which I love and in which I can use my yogurt whey. But I’m trying to eat down my cabinets to use up “lost” stuff, so I’d rather not buy more hot cereal.) I shall have to try the pancakes soon.

I wonder if I can make them with buttermilk powder + yogurt whey?

14 Morgan January 23, 2010 at 7:34 pm

I have tried just about every whole wheat pancake recipe under the sun and these are BY FAR the BEST! I have never written a review before but these are delicious! My daughter and her friend and I polished off a double-batch in one sitting! So fluffy, unlike other whole wheat pancakes. Thanks so much!

15 Reese October 28, 2010 at 4:25 pm

So if you make a double batch, do you just throw twice the ingredients in when you make it? Some recipes I’ve used make the finished product turn out WEIRD from the doubling. Usually I just make a batch, finish, then make another batch. How do you do it?

They look delicious btw AND I just got whole wheat flour! Woot! :)

16 Kristen October 28, 2010 at 5:20 pm

A single batch of pancakes is never enough for us, so I almost always double this recipe and it comes out just fine. There are recipes that don’t work if you double them, but this one works great. :)

17 Kayla December 3, 2010 at 7:01 pm

My husband and I love pancakes for brunch on Saturdays. But I also love them (and other breakfast foods) for lunch or dinner too! :)

18 Cate December 3, 2010 at 9:47 pm

Ooh, yummy! I might have to convince my husband to try these! He’s the pancake-maker around these parts. ;-)

19 Navya January 11, 2011 at 5:16 am

Kristen,

This will be my breakfast tomorrow. But I think I will use all purpose flour instead of whole-wheat. My husband prefers it that way – you see pancakes is definitely a new thing for us indians ( I have tried both all purpose flour as well as whole wheat before) – but all purpose flour turns out a little crispier than when I tried it last time with whole-wheat flour. Just a doubt I had, ‘cuz we never make pancakes in India , and I have adapted reading blogs like yours – is the whole wheat flour pancake meant to be non-crispy or did mine turn out bad?

Thanks,
Navya

20 Kristen January 11, 2011 at 7:43 am

You can make your pancakes crispier by cooking them in some butter or oil. Also, perhaps adjusting your heat higher would help…when the pan is properly hot, you should be able to drop a bit of water on the pan and it should sizzle right away.

Hope that helps!

21 Navya January 12, 2011 at 12:36 am

Thanks… I think the problem was because I added bananas to the whole-wheat batter last time – had read it on some other blog that bananas could be added and that’s why it turned out so soggy.

22 Navya January 13, 2011 at 12:41 am

I made your buttermilk pancakes for breakfast today and it was yummy. I followed your recipe to the dot and my husband loved it, he has asked me to make the same for breakfast tomorrow as well. Repeating the same breakfast two consecutive days is very rarely favored by my husband, so obviously I struck gold thanks to your recipe. So Kristen, thank you… You have touched our lives across the pacific ocean, in India. If you ever decide to come to Bangalore, India do let me know – I would love to show you around. I am sorry, if this seems like a impromptu-thing to write, it’s just that I seem to feel I know you so much thanks to your blog.

23 Shannon February 2, 2011 at 7:31 pm

Those look delicious!!!!

24 Shawna April 24, 2012 at 11:18 am

I make my own whole wheat pancakes also. I use honey or molasses instead of sugar, and good old butter instead of oil. I also eat mine with sort of a strange twist. I take frozen mixed berries or frozen raspberries and “cook” them in the microwave. This makes it’s own juices. I pour that over my pancakes and then use my vanilla yogurt (yep it’s your recipe) on them. No super sweet pancake syrup for me!!! If you haven’t tried it like this you really should. It’s super yummo!!!!!