Hamsters. In black and white.

by Kristen on August 23, 2013 · 15 comments

in Home Decorating

dwarf hamsters

This does sort of have something to do with frugality.

Bear with me.

IMG_1371

As you know, Lisey has moved into Zoe’s room, and we needed some new wall art for her (the baby pictures weren’t going to work!).

So, yesterday I laid out a bunch of frames on the living room floor and Lisey and I decided on a visually pleasing arrangement, shape-wise.

laying out frames before hanging

Then we scrolled through my picture files to find photos of things that Lisey loves (the beach, afternoon tea, Converse), and made them all black and white so the photo wall would have a cohesive look.

(And also because black and white is veddy classy.)

IMG_1353-001

When we got to that last vertical picture frame on the right, though, we got stuck. What to put there?

That’s when we realized that of course, Lisey’s hamsters needed to be represented on her photo wall. ;)

So, that’s why we had a little hamster photo session yesterday.

IMG_1356

The cute is so out of control.

IMG_1374

(By the way, these are dwarf hamsters and they are crazy fast, so that’s why Joshua and Lisey are holding them so snugly.)

I did get all of the frames hung up on Lisey’s wall, and she’s super pleased about it.

I’m delighted that were able to decorate her wall with something that’s very Lisey, and I’m also pleased that we were able to use frames we already had (yay for not spending!) and were able to fill them with very inexpensive art (the only cost was the ink and photo paper.)

I wish I had a photo of the finished wall, but alas, I don’t at the moment. I promise I’ll include one when we do a tour of Lisey’s room.

___________________________

P.S. Food Waste Friday is over at Simply Being Mum today. And on another food waste note, Zero Waste Week 2013 is all about food waste this year. I’ll tell you a little more about that next week, but you can go check it out right here.

__________________________

Joshua’s 365 post: Half and Half

1 Economies of Kale August 23, 2013 at 8:26 am

They’re super cute :) I was wondering if you’ve ever done a post about frugal pet ownership. I have a turtle and his food/light/filer etc can be costly.

2 Kristen August 23, 2013 at 8:29 am

Oh, Sonia loves turtles. I’m nervous about the smell, though…do you find that your turtle has a strong odor?

I haven’t posted much about pets, as we have so few. Joshua has his reptiles, but he pays for the food and such for them, and Lisey pays for her hamster stuff as well (though they are not very costly pets.)

3 Kate August 23, 2013 at 12:09 pm

I had 2 turtles as a young adult, and their aquarium did have a fairly strong swampy smell. I cleaned it regularly, but it was quite a chore. I got used to the smell, but my family found it unpleasant when they turtle-sat while I was away.

4 Kristen August 23, 2013 at 12:16 pm

This kind of thing is why I’m thinking I will stick with my “You can get a turtle when you move out.” stance. =p

5 Economies of Kale August 26, 2013 at 4:20 am

My turtle is a native Australian species – the red-eared sliders that most people have for pets are actually illegal here! He looks like this one: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8189/8365592642_6d0318ce4b_z.jpg

He lives in an aquarium that is half full of water, with a platform for basking on. The only time I have noticed a smell is when I’ve been slack about changing the water and cleaning the filter (more than a few weeks).

They are great pets – I’m sure he can recognise me since when my sister visited he refused to climb out onto his platform at all. And it’s fun to watch him climbing out of the water, then diving in again. Could you keep it somewhere where you wouldn’t notice the smell as much?

6 Elizabeth August 23, 2013 at 10:02 am

Second photo from the bottom, the hamster on the right looks a tad disgruntled. Had me chuckling.

7 Dawn August 23, 2013 at 12:10 pm

Is it just my imagination, or is one of those hamsters winking!? So cute.

8 Kristen August 23, 2013 at 12:16 pm

Yep, we caught one of them blinking!

9 Katy Wolk-Stanley August 23, 2013 at 12:59 pm

I can’t wait to see the big reveal!

Mwah!

10 The Norwegian Girl August 23, 2013 at 2:22 pm

taking pictures of animals is in general extremely difficult, so I think you did a really good job with this. The dwarf hamsters are so cute, btw! didnīt know you guys had any animals!

11 Live and Learn-Toss and Turn August 23, 2013 at 5:01 pm

You are absolutely right. Those hamsters are very cute. However, I think my cats would find them cute in another way.

12 Kristen August 23, 2013 at 9:00 pm

Ohhh, they would! Once, Joshua’s friend watched our hamsters for us, and when we brought them over, his cats were mesmerized.

(The hamsters were kept behind closed doors, safe from the cats all week!)

13 KT August 23, 2013 at 8:27 pm

That 2nd picture from the bottom is so cute where the hamster has his one eye squinted shut! LOL!!

14 liberty August 26, 2013 at 1:59 pm

When I was college age I lived with roommates to save money. Some of us had more money and some less. We adopted a ‘sharing’ (but nowhere near communal) style of living that worked in almost all of my living situations (I married late and had roommates most of that time). We asked that each roommate be strictly accountable for their share of rent and utilities and we kept most of our possessions separate, but we shared so we could all join in fun times. Like if we entertained, those of us with more money contributed food and other roommates cooked. We gave rides when needed to those without cars and if we wanted to see a movie together, we went to a dollar cinema. I think Lauren would do a great service to her friends and acquaintances by helping them see how great it is to do things that aren’t expensive.

15 Charmaine October 20, 2013 at 5:05 pm