Right now, I am…

by Kristen on August 9, 2012 · 41 comments

in Right Now

-planning to make some yogurt. And zucchini bread. Probably the chocolate variety.

-a little behind on things around the house, mostly because we’ve been at the pool a lot this week.

-glad that we’ve been able to go swimming a lot, even if I am behind on housework.

-delighted that we’ve been having fairly regular pool visits with Mr. FG because the kids have a lot of fun when he comes along. And of course, I like having him there, seeing as he’s my best friend and all. :)

-anxious to show you a little something I did with some old picture frames. But I need to take pictures first!

-hoping Lisey likes her new pair of cut-offs as much as Sonia likes hers (Sonia’s been wearing them nonstop.)

-happy that cut-offs let me easily salvage pairs of holey jeans (no knee-patch sewing necessary).

-thinking about what to do with all the cut-off jean legs I now have. I could make bags like I did before….

-wishing I had everyone’s schoolbooks ordered. I do have Sonia and Zoe mostly taken care of, at least.

-remembering again how much I hate auctions on ebay. I really prefer buying things for a set price. It’s so much less time-consuming.

-thankful that I can do most of my school shopping on half.com instead of ebay. Yay for set prices!

-planning (hoping?) to get some more decluttering done this week.

-relieved that the wrist exercises I’ve been doing have mostly taken care of my pain. I was worried I was going to have to take a little break from blogging (mousing especially was causing pain).

-delighted that my trip to the library and to the local store were waste free. The library receipt will get shredded and composted since it’s not thermal paper (thermal paper has BPA in it), the library books went into cloth bags, and the chicken from the local store went into a pyrex container, which I carried in a cloth bag.

-looking forward to digging into the new America’s Test Kitchen cookbook I received this week (it’s a quick cooking cookbook.)

-thinking, as always, about how best to balance all the different roles I play, and how to live my life in a way that reflects the priorities I espouse.

_________________________

If you feel so inclined, you can do a little “right now…” post in the comments. It’s fun…give it a try!

_________________________

Today’s 365 post: This is called an egg.

Joshua’s 365 post: Keys (this was not at all what I expected when I clicked on the post!)

1 Live and Learn-Toss and Turn August 9, 2012 at 7:10 am

At our library, they always ask if you want a receipt or not. Most people don’t get one since they can look up when their books are due online. I don’t know if you have that option, but you could ask.

2 Kristen August 9, 2012 at 8:55 am

I actually prefer to get mine because then I can shred it and compost it. The receipt prints no matter what, so if it’s going to print, I’d rather have it so I can dispose of it properly.

3 Stacey August 9, 2012 at 12:37 pm

I heard that receipts have high levels of BPA. Do you think that matters in compost?

4 Kristen August 9, 2012 at 1:13 pm

Yep, that’s why I mentioned that my library receipt isn’t thermal paper. The thermal paper is the stuff with BPA, and it shouldn’t be recycled or composted.

If I have the option to not have a receipt printed, that’s the option I always choose (like at the gas pump or ATM).

5 Stacey August 10, 2012 at 10:05 pm

Whoops, I see that now. Ineffective speed-reading! :P

6 Renee @ Feedingourlives.com August 9, 2012 at 7:42 am

Thanks for the idea for a post like this! I went and did one of my own at my site! I t was fun way to start the day :)

7 Kristen August 9, 2012 at 8:56 am

It is fun, isn’t it? Sort of like a stream of consciousness post.

8 Victoria@Snailpacetransformations August 9, 2012 at 8:05 am

Right now I am
contemplating …why my morning green tea tastes a bit off..perhaps the 10 year old added just a bit too much homemade dishwasher detergent and not enough vinegar as a rinse agent
stressed…..about school starting next week! The first 5 days of every new homeschooling year are always the worst for our family.
delighted…about getting to spend another day out at the state park reading books all day to review while my daughter attends their day camp.
in agreement…..with your comment about waiting for auctions on eBay, I tried to get some of my sons books their this year and was shocked at how many auctions I entered that went over full price for new!
Thankful…..for God’s provisions when I couldn’t find a deal and had to buy new books.
Blessed….a roof over my head, a car to drive, a hubby who loves me and three great kids.

9 Gail August 9, 2012 at 8:09 am

What a beauty Lisey has grown into! She was always cute, but this photo shows a very pretty young woman. I just went back and looked at some of the older photos of your kids. Thanks for sharing. I feel like they are my “other” grandchildren, almost.

10 Rebecca August 9, 2012 at 8:16 am

Right now, I am… wondering where the heck the first half of August went. Lol! Great post. Great to hear you had a no waste shopping day!

11 Erin Makes a Home August 9, 2012 at 8:47 am

Anxious about my upcoming move. We’re moving to be closer to my husband’s job, but I haven’t found a job in our new town yet.

Rested, since I fell asleep at 9 last night (on the couch, in my jeans, where I stayed all night).

Debating whether I should be responsible over Labor Day weekend and pack, or go see my sister instead.

Hoping it stays rainy and dreary all day. I’m in the mood for a rainy day :)

12 Becca S. August 9, 2012 at 9:55 am

Right now I am…
~wishing I had more coffee because I don’t think that first cup worked very well.
~thankful for the cool morning, even though I know it’s still going to be hot today
~planning to bake bread and some sort of homemade hot pocket thing for dinner- we’re eating on the go tonight.

I was wondering, have you ever been to a chiropractor for your wrist pain? Our family goes regularly to get our backs ajusted and whenever my wrist acts up (about twice a month or so) our chiropractor adjusts it and it feels SO much better. Just a thought. :)
I hope you have a wonderful day!

13 Becca S. August 9, 2012 at 9:56 am

oops, I misspelled “adjusted” the first time. :)

14 Madeline August 9, 2012 at 10:08 am

Right now I am:

Enjoying the second cup of coffee sitting on my patio.

Planning the next few days dinners.

Thinking about baking bread.

Getting ready for an astrology client tomorrow:Have to go into my home office and clear off the desk so we have somewhere to meet!!

Studying my aromatherapy materials.

It’s 113 degrees in Arizona.. have to move verrrry slowly this week!

15 WilliamB August 9, 2012 at 10:10 am

PLEASED … about all the coupon matching websites for school supplies. Between their assistance and my scrounging extra coupon inserts I got a huge bag full of supplies for my local public school for $16 including tax: 14 spiral bound notebooks, 7 Scotch tapes, 9 boxes of 24 crayons, 4 boxes of 10 markers, 5 boxes of 12 colored pencils, 5 wood rulers, 6 little pencil sharpeners.

MORE PLEASED … that that was one of three runs so far, with more on the horizon.

WORRIED … about all the food that’s built up in my fridge. My freezer is pretty full already.

WONDERING … if I should stop getting great food deals. Also wondering if I ~can~; full freezer or not I’m going to Harris Teeter to get free guac and other stuff. It will be used (eventually) but I’m wondering where I should draw the line.

PLEASED/WONDERING … about my most recent foray into food waste prevention: drying corn. I saved 4 ears of slightly dried out corn from the compost pile by dehydrating them. Now what?

PLEASED … that my first foray into selling on Craig’s List went so well.
WONDERING … when I’ll get my act together to clean and list the many other items I think will be worth selling.

WONDERING … how to appropriately dispose of decades old sports gear. The skates have lost all ankle support and the skis are so far beyond dated that I’m wondering if they should be a museum exhibit. But I don’t want to put them in the trash.

16 Erin August 9, 2012 at 10:27 am

Right now I am:
–trying to figure out how to escape the brutal heat with the kids for the next two days. Feels too hot for the pool, even!
– enjoying a batch of library books.
– starting to feel anxious about school starting on Monday.
– looking up this mouse to share with you: Evoluent vertical mouse. Even though I’m a righty, I use a left Evoluent mouse now because my carpal tunnel has gotten so bad. (My husband works for a large corporation doing a computer graphics kind of job, and their ergonomics expert recommends this mouse.) If mousing is critical to your job, this mouse can help.

17 Raye August 9, 2012 at 11:09 am

Erin,

I kicked two birds with one stone one hot evening with my grandkids by turning on the sprinkler for them to run through but also for watering my much needed backyard grass! My grandkids had a blast and my grass also thanked me tremendously!

18 Elizabeth August 9, 2012 at 12:19 pm

I remember my dad doing that with me when we were little. With my kid we put water in the baby pool so the kids can play. They like to splash around and then use their buckets to water their veggies in the garden. I love multitasking. The water isn’t just dumped into the lawn and my kids feel a sense of responsibility to take care of the garden (I help them weed).

19 Raye August 9, 2012 at 2:44 pm

That sounds like fun! I might have to try the small garden with my grandkids!

20 WB August 9, 2012 at 11:24 am

Jeans legs make a great dog toy. Just tie a knot in the center and use it as a chew toy or play tug with a dog. I know you don’t have a dog, but perhaps some of your friends do.

21 Kristin at KlingtoCash August 9, 2012 at 11:30 am

Relieved and excited that I paid off our last credit card yesterday.

Happy that dinner is prepped and in the fridge for tonight.

Annoyed with myself for not doing more grading during my summer class so I have to rush to get it all done by tomorrow.

22 Kristen August 9, 2012 at 12:06 pm

Woohoo! That is a great accomplishment!

23 Amanda August 9, 2012 at 11:50 am

Right now I am . . . .

-refreshed and reinvigorated because we are wrapping up a great vacation.
-excited to jump back into real life.
-thankful that my real life means I get to be a stay at home mom and work at home with my wonderful husband.
-wishing there was a cure for my son’s eczema which must be very uncomfortable for him because he kept me up half the night.
-happy that our schedule means we get to all sleep in.

Thanks, that was fun!

24 Sher August 9, 2012 at 12:10 pm

Consider donating your jean legs to a person in a wheelchair :)
My friend has muscular dystrophy and uses a motorized wheelchair. It is easier, she discovered, for her caregivers to put jean legs on (like leg warmers) instead of trying to pull up and button and zip the whole thing.
She wears a pair of leggings or even biker shorts underneath that are comfy and easy to pull up on her. But she still gets the fashion statement of a good pair of denim legs…and always cute shoes! :)

25 Jessica Blood August 9, 2012 at 12:11 pm

I have a lady who gives me all her school books for my kids. This year another lady gave me all her kids school books, mostly Abeka, if you are interested in them I could e mail you a list and mail you what you want, you just pay shipping.

26 Skirnir Hamilton August 9, 2012 at 12:20 pm

1. Just came back from a garden party at a local city garden. Wondering if maybe I could arrange something in September where the gardener teaches some volunteers a job/project and we help him a bit. Would prefer separating some perennials as that is a job I need to do at home and have never done.
2. Glad that I do have a church that I may consider joining. My church closed in August of last year, and this the second church I have tried and it may be one I can join and become involved in. The garden party was through the church.
3. Enjoying a delicious cup of chili and a cocoa powder dinner roll for lunch. Oh, my gosh, is it a wonderful combination! Anytime we make steak, I like to make these rolls. They are absolutely delicious.
4. Hoping that my hubby can grill tonight, as he said he would grill steaks last night, hence my making the rolls, but he was on the phone too late, so he couldn’t. He needs to teach me how to grill, so I can do it when he can’t. It is currently raining, which we need, but I do hope it is dry enough this evening for him to grill and that he gets off the phone in time.
5. Just realized I forgot to stir up some english muffin dough. I meant to do that this morning but maybe I can still do it. Had planned on making english muffins tonight, when I thought we were doing steaks yesterday. I still want my english muffins. I love to make them about every other week and then I have english muffin sandwiches sometimes at lunch, and maybe some at breakfast, etc.
6. Thinking about the things I need to know… now checkbook/bank, Aldi’s shopping list, english muffin dough, Aldi’s with a friend later, and put digital Kroger coupons on my mom’s Kroger card hopefully tonight, and work on my Pick’n Save coupon matchups.
7. Lastly, hoping that my husband can find a new job that he loves. He works for a company that he has been with for a long time, but they have been off shoring most of the IT department and those who are still there, are leaving. He is no longer happy there and wants to find a new job. He interviewed in Tennessee recently, which would require a move, but they probably won’t decide until late August or later.
8. If we move, wondering when I should start cutting back on my coupon grocery shopping. Don’t want to have to transport lots of food, and would have a new set of stores and area to learn if we moved. Wonder if I would start a coupon matchup blog there and maybe still do CVS and Walgreens that my blog partner could still use for my current area. Wish I could find her some help, if I do wind up moving, but don’t want to think too far ahead, as this company has proven to not always take hiring people and making decisions seriously.

27 Jo@simplybeingmum August 9, 2012 at 12:35 pm

I was so geared up for making your zucchini bread this AM as I have two of the largest courgettes I have ever seen in my life to use up!
I got everything out (I don’t have 4 loaf tins, but have a 12″ square tin that splits into 4 – I reckon that’d do?). Even my US measuring cups (only used once before!). Then realised alas no eggs – I’ve been on the ball this week using stuff up! Gutted! I photographed it all laid out ready to go and posted on Facebook.
It’s been postponed till tomorrow!
So… Right Now I Am… Looking forward to my first taste of Zucchini Chocolate Bread tomorrow!

28 WilliamB August 9, 2012 at 1:03 pm

Jo, you can use just about any other pan, as long as the batter isn’t too thin. An 8″ square pan (about 20 cm, for those of you who use logical measurement systems), an 8″ or 9″ round pan or even oven-safe pot, muffin tins, etc. You know the signs of a cooked quickbread, right – firm body, edges detaching from the pan, toothpick test?

Can’t help you with the eggs because there is no substitute. I once tried making box brownies without eggs having, as you did, discovered I was without. It was tasty but not, by any stretch of the imagination, brownies.

29 Kristen August 9, 2012 at 1:14 pm

Oh, I hate it when that happens to me!

30 Jo@simplybeingmum August 9, 2012 at 2:26 pm

Thanks Guys… I’ve made one egg-free cake before now (using a strange powder substitute for those with egg allergies) but it wasn’t great. I’ve heard mashed banana works quite well ( but presume it’d taste of …bananas?). There’s nothing to substitute the miracle that is an egg really is there?
p.s… I’ll keep an eye on thickness of batter. The tin splits into 4, so if it just does 3 then no worries – it’s a case of see what happens first time round isn’t it? I’v also opened my very first food-processor today so I’m hoping I can work out the shredding attachment! I’ll post the results of all on FB.

31 Liz August 9, 2012 at 2:53 pm

There’s a wonderful Ration-Era chocolate cake that uses no eggs, butter, or oil. It gets leavened with vinegar and baking soda. I’m not sure how to adapt it, but maybe there are some food-scientist types out there who could help?

32 Dawn August 10, 2012 at 6:33 am

I know I’m a little late on this, but I found a wonderful recipe a couple years for zucchini brownies that has no eggs in it. At first I thought it was a mistake in the recipe, but I tried them as written, and are they ever good! Not zucchini bread, but maybe it would help you get through until you got some eggs. If you have an abundance of zucchini this recipe is definitely worth a try.

33 joyce August 10, 2012 at 8:26 am

One tablespoon of ground flax seed and 3 tablespoons of water equals one egg. I haven’t tried to replace all eggs in a recipe but once needed 3 but only had 1. Substituting flax worked fine.

34 Grammomsblog August 9, 2012 at 1:16 pm

A delightful post!! Have a great summer!

35 Sher August 9, 2012 at 3:07 pm

crazy chocolate cake
vinegar/baking soda

no eggs or dairy!

36 Jo@simplybeingmum August 9, 2012 at 6:29 pm

Great stuff… Will be checking it out…

37 Jennifer August 9, 2012 at 3:27 pm

-we are canning 13 pts of salsa
- canned 7 pts hot peppers earlier
- loving how well my kids are playing together
- wishing they would be this innocent, loving, and unjaded their whole lives
-hoping for more rain this afternoon.

38 Anna August 9, 2012 at 3:58 pm

I am……
Relaxing in a gorgeous beachfront condo that I rented at a HUGE discount simply by waiting until a few hours before check in and calling the rental agency and asking for deals on unrented properties. I turned down the first offer they gave me, and then they gave me one that fit our budget! Yay! My small rent bets them receiving nothing at all, so it was a win-win, but not for the faint of heart. We were almost to the beach before lodging was secured!

Loving watching our sons play in the sand and ocean. Giggles abound.

Excited that we were able to take this awesome vacation and stay on budget!

39 SandyH August 9, 2012 at 9:29 pm

Listening… To my-neighbor-the-preacher cut his grass, at 8:20 pm and nearly dark. Don’t blame him for waiting until this late, temperature is still in the 90′s I’m sure.

Thinking…about the red velvet cheesecake I’m making for my nephew’s birthday party tomorrow night…the cheesecake layer and the two red velvet layers are made, leaving only the cream cheese frosting and assembly for tomorrow after work.

Wishing….I had a solution to my sisters health problems, and that she could thoroughly enjoy her son’s birthday party tomorrow night, like she used to.

Hoping…for a good day at work tomorrow, “good” meaning “busy”, as I am a dog groomer and August is a notoriously slow month for us….school- starting expenses and all.

Agreeing…with Kristen about eBay auctions. Have only done the Buy it Now option for a long time now. Hate having to keep up with the bidding. I always click the Buy it Now filter before I even scroll through the category I chose.

Thankful…for the eight bell peppers and three pounds of okra I got from our veterinarian’s garden. Cooked half the okra with onion, garlic, bacon and diced tomatoes, and it went well with oven fried chicken and brown rice.

40 Economies of kale August 9, 2012 at 9:47 pm

Sounds like fun :) Right now I am…

Eating homemade raisin bread and wondering why I used to be so scared of baking with yeast.

Waiting for the vanilla beans I bought on eBay to arrive.

Reading my new (to me) 1972 cookbook and loving the sections on jam/relish/baking.

Seeing pantry moths for the first time all winter when I hoped I’d gotten rid of them all.

Preparing for my classes next week, teaching third year uni students for the first time.

41 Katy @ Purposely Frugal August 10, 2012 at 8:50 pm

Right now I am reading one of my favorite blogs :) while sitting in a hotel eating a hot pocket…I know that’s not very healthy or frugal, but I figure it’s cheaper than going out to eat.