3-Minute Homemade Slushies

by Kristen on July 10, 2012 · 27 comments

in Desserts, Snacks

I found this recipe a few years ago on the Hillbilly Housewife site. It’s super cheap, lightning fast, and at the very least, no more unhealthy than the slushies one can buy.

And they’re dirt cheap.

To make a slushie, simply combine cold water, ice cubes, sugar, and a Kool-Aid packet and blend until the ice is finely chopped the the texture is slushy.

It seriously takes less than 3 minutes.

Plus, these slushies, unlike commercial frozen treats, have no disposable packaging. Serve the slushies up in glasses or cups, and just wash them up when you’re done.

You can use any flavor Kool-Aid you like, but we think the lemonade variety is the most delicious.

Homemade Slushies

2 cups ice water

4 cups ice cubes

2/3 cup sugar

1 packet Kool-Aid mix

Combine all ingredients in a blender jar. Blend on high speed until mixture is slushy. Serve immediately.

__________________________

Today’s 365 post: Joshua saw this…

Joshua’s 365 post: KA-POW!

1 Lori July 10, 2012 at 7:23 am

We *love* these, and drank them on a semi-regular basis during the heat wave. (We are also a fan of the Hillybilly Housewife Orange Jubilee recipe.)

I figure that, like you said, they are at least no unhealthier than slushies we might buy at the gas station, and may be healthier, since they don’t use HFCS.

2 Beth in TX July 10, 2012 at 8:24 am

My kids have been asking for slushies but we don’t do anything artificial flavoring or coloring. My only idea is to make a fruit syrup and go from there. Anybody have any other ideas?

3 Samantha July 10, 2012 at 9:10 am

Here are some good home made natural slurpee ideas: http://blogs.babble.com/family-kitchen/2012/05/24/9-homemade-slurpees/

4 Amanda @ Flour and Lace July 10, 2012 at 12:58 pm

Using a juice concentrate would work well, we particularly like apple juice.

5 Niusha July 10, 2012 at 9:07 pm

You can replace Kool-Aid mix with cantaloupe pieces.When in season (during summer) they often go on sale for $1.5 each.
The only thing is that you need to peel and cut the cantaloupe which takes a bit longer but it’s delicious and healthy.
This is a traditional drink in my homeland and could be found everywhere during the summer months.

6 Stef July 10, 2012 at 8:28 am

o that is a great share, thank you!

7 Mindy @ Debt Free By 26 July 10, 2012 at 9:21 am

This is so simple! Will have to keep in mind for a treat when the nephews come to visit. Thanks for sharing! :)

8 Anna July 10, 2012 at 10:08 am

Yum! Also fun to try on a hot day are sugared grapes with Kool-Aid. Simply add a grape flavored Kool Aid packet to a zip top bag along with some sugar. Rinse the grapes and toss them in the bag while they are still somewhat wet and shake closed bag gently until grapes are coated. Then freeze grapes in a bowl. These are delicious and are a great way to use grapes that are about to get too soft. They are somewhat sparkly and are pretty served at teas and showers as well.

9 Jenny Fretz July 10, 2012 at 12:36 pm

I make lemonade from lemon juice concentrate and sugar- I would think you could do this in the slushie if you wanted it more natural- just substitute some lemon juice for some of the water.

10 Megyn @MinimalistMommi July 10, 2012 at 12:42 pm

For those looking to create a slushy sans artificial colorings/flavorings, here’s what we do (along with McDonald’s in their cherry berry chiller)…juice + ice + blender. I do this with lemonade all the time! Good luck :)

11 Amanda @ Flour and Lace July 10, 2012 at 1:02 pm

Hmm… time for me to start blender shopping! I really feel like I’m missing out on all the smoothies, slushies, and shakes!

12 Monique DiCarlo July 10, 2012 at 2:50 pm

I make this in a very similar way, but with natural ingredients…I use organic lemonade (so I don’t add water in that case) or I used fresh lemons (with a little water added) and I use honey to sweeten it a bit. This way it also has some nutritional value and no chemical stuff…http://www.livestrong.com/article/300572-ingredients-nutrition-information-for-lemonade-kool-aid/

13 Lindsay July 10, 2012 at 3:31 pm

Do you think it would be a bad idea to replace the sugar with sweetener if you are looking for a lower calorie drink?

14 Therese Z July 10, 2012 at 4:19 pm

If you’re already using Kool-aid, I sure can’t see any reason not to go with artificial sweeteners. In other words, these aren’t for every day, every time, but what the heck, there is a lot of summer and lot of hot kid and a few of these would be happily received.

I wondered if this slushy mix could go into a popsicle mold and freeze any differently than regular liquid preparations.

15 Monique DiCarlo July 10, 2012 at 7:33 pm

Yes, I think it’s a bad idea, but that’s a very personal opinion. The biggest addiction in America is sugar, try to wean yourself off a bit and just use less sugar and watch your carb intake as well. You can also make drinks with fresh mint, ginger root, or cucumber, no sugar needed. I would stay with how nature (or God) provides things like raw honey, or raw regular cane/palm sugar or agave syrup. I avoid anything that comes from a lab, but that’s me ;-)

16 Virginia July 11, 2012 at 4:04 am

I agree with you, it’s so much better to eat natural, both for your body and your pocket! People tend to think that homemade is usually more expensive and more work but is it really more work making natural lemon juice? Plus what I do is I deep freeze the lemon juice in ice cubes trays and I have them ready to use. At home we gave up on all pre-cooked food years ago and we are very happy about it.
Have a great day!!

17 Janknitz July 11, 2012 at 9:42 pm

I agree with Monique that reducing sugar is important–and children do not need chemicals that are in most artificial sweeteners. A little raw honey or plain sugar to sweeten lemon juice made from real lemons and made into a slushie is fine if it’s a treat and not an everyday thing.

However, I disagree that agave syrup is a good alternative. It’s almost all fructose, not too different from high fructose corn syrup. Fructose is metabolized in the liver and has harmful effects on the body (see Dr. Lustig’s video if you want the scientific explanation). Yes, there’s fructose in fruit, but it’s accompanied by fiber and other vitamins, and much easier to moderate portion sizes. But agave syrup is processed and isolated fructose, and neither healthy nor natural. See http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2009/07/02/agave-a-triumph-of-marketing-over-truth.aspx

18 Monique DiCarlo July 12, 2012 at 8:23 pm

Agree on Agave this is why it’s my last choice of all sweeteners and preferably the raw version, I only use it when baking something that I don’t want to give a honey taste, which is about once a month.

19 Martha July 10, 2012 at 6:41 pm

Wow, Kristen! Those slushies look amazing! I definitely have to try one! :) It sounds very good!

20 Valarie July 11, 2012 at 12:41 am

We tried these today and my kids absolutely loved them.. Thanks for recipe!!!

21 Michelle in Ory-gun July 11, 2012 at 7:58 pm

Kristin, thanks to this post, I IMPULSE BOUGHT something that wasn’t on my carefully-planned shopping list! I think you would agree that such an action is entirely contrary to the purpose of your blog, and I blame you entirely.

Just kidding. Well, not about the impulse purchase–I read your post and was mildly interested, but I didn’t print out the recipe or give it a second thought. Until I was at the grocery store and bumped up against the KoolAid display. The packets were 10 cents each, so I bought one. Lemonade flavor, of course, following your suggestion.

My kids are going to have a treat tomorrow!

Thanks–love you!

22 shannon July 13, 2012 at 3:41 pm

Just did this for my kids they loved it.

23 PigPennies July 13, 2012 at 5:24 pm

I used to make my own version of these as a kid, but a little more on the healthy side. My mom’s juice jug wasn’t big enough to fit a fully diluted can of juice concentrate, so she would make it double the recommended strength and we’d pour half juice/half water into our cups. When things heated up, I’d blend up ice and a little water and pour in some of the concentrate – delish!

24 WickedFrugal July 15, 2012 at 12:27 am

This is a great idea! I am going to try this tomorrow, and instead use an ice tea mix. Thanks for the post!

25 rachel July 26, 2013 at 11:39 am

good idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

26 rachel July 26, 2013 at 11:37 am

how much does it make?

27 Monique July 26, 2013 at 1:38 pm

Why on earth would you use a package of Kool-Aid, when you can use fresh lemons?