Food Waste Friday | Well, that was sad.

by Kristen on April 27, 2012 · 39 comments

in Food Waste Friday

Every week, I post a picture of the food that has gone bad over the last seven days. Why do I do this? Because in March of 2008, I finally got fed up with the amount of food I was wasting, and I thought that showing my waste to other people would motivate me to use up my food instead of wasting it. Because this often embarrassing practice was so helpful for me, I invited other bloggers to join me in posting their food waste photos, and Food Waste Friday was born.

I bought three containers of strawberries this week, and sadly, some berries in one of the containers became fuzzy prematurely.

But I am entirely sure that this is sad, because we love berries, and it’s an unhappy thing when they can’t be eaten.

Boo.

I absentmindedly threw them into the compost before I took a picture, but you probably know what moldy strawberries look like.

So, um, here’s a picture of something pleasantly inedible. ;)

________________________________________________

How did you do this week? If you blogged about your food waste, link us up by entering your info into the widget below. You’ll save money, reduce your trash output, and get a little publicity for your blog! And if you don’t blog, you can still share about your food waste by leaving a comment.

Those of you who participate in Food Waste Friday can now grab a fancy-schmancy button to perk up your posts. If you copy and paste the following code into your Food Waste Friday post, this little graphic will appear.

FoodWasteFriday

If you blog on WordPress, just make sure you’re in html mode when you copy and paste the code, or it won’t work properly.

_____________________________________

Today’s 365 post: Yes, I’m SURE that’s what those suction cups were for.

Joshua’s 365 post: A video!

1 Jessie@Jessie:Improved April 27, 2012 at 7:04 am

Funny, I lost some not-that-old fruit this week too. A tip for strawberries, raspberries, and anything else like that that comes home in a clamshell package – I open the packages up immediately when I get home and separate all the fruits with bruises from the ones without bruises. Usually there are a lot of bruises on the bottom of the package, and that’s where it invites mold in. Eat those berries first, and your whole batch will last longer!

2 Jo@simplybeingmum April 27, 2012 at 7:05 am

“I’m not entirely sure that this is my fault because they were only a few days old when they became inedible.” – my sentiments exactly this morning as I photographed half a cucumber. Pretty sure unless it had all been eaten the day it was purchased then it would have been thrown – near mush very quickly – very odd, maybe it’s how I stored it? Or maybe not? The Stilton however is my fault. I’d decided mouldy cheese probably wouldn’t deteriorate so it was kept in foil (aka non-transparent). Oops – it can go orange – apparently! I didn’t photograph that as I hate Stilton, and the thought of giving my cherished (but not yet mastered) camera an aroma of smelly feet did not appeal.

3 WilliamB April 27, 2012 at 7:20 am

Cilantro!

After all the bright ideas I get for other people’s cilantro, I had none for myself. At least none in time. Maybe we should create a cilantro cookbook. One of my favorite cookbooks – Half a Can of Tomato Paste – is designed to use up leftovers, and is organized by food type.

4 lisa April 27, 2012 at 7:25 am

Kristen and others
A tip for storing berries longer, is once you get them home from the store, remove them form the package and dunk them in a 10% vinegar solution (white or cider) and swish them around. Drain and put in fridge. You can rinse if you would like, but with the vinegar so dilute, you don’t taste it. The vinegar kills the mold spores so the berries last longer. Doing this and removing any ‘ugly’ berries sure will keep your berries fresher longer. Just a tip for the upcoming berry season.

5 Mindy @ debtfreeby26 April 27, 2012 at 8:49 am

This is an interesting tip – I will have to keep that in mind the next time we get berries!

6 WilliamB April 27, 2012 at 10:05 am

I just read this in Cooks Illustrated and am looking forward to trying it. Strawberries have been very tasty recently and I’ve been buying several pounds a week.

7 lisa April 27, 2012 at 7:26 am

Kristen and others
A tip for storing berries longer, is once you get them home from the store, remove them from the package and dunk them in a 10% vinegar solution (white or cider) and swish them around. Drain and put in fridge. You can rinse if you would like, but with the vinegar so dilute, you don’t taste it. The vinegar kills the mold spores so the berries last longer. Doing this and removing any ‘ugly’ berries sure will keep your berries fresher longer. Just a tip for the upcoming berry season.

8 Jo@simplybeingmum April 27, 2012 at 7:46 am

Cheers Lisa! Great tip! I’ve just been given a book on 1001 uses for vinegar, as was amazed at what it can do. I’ve been using it for years to clean, and wash some items, but the book was an eye opener…

9 lisa April 27, 2012 at 7:50 am

Jo
Since you are vinegar user also, do you know about using warm vinegar and dawn dish soap(1:1) for cleaning bath and showers..gets rid of soap scum in a jiffy. It is probably in the book, but if you haven’t heard about it, let me know and I will send the details. :-)

10 A Frugal Spinster April 27, 2012 at 11:10 am

Lisa- Please share the details here for all of us to profit from- Thanks

11 lisa April 27, 2012 at 11:43 am

OK here it is. You will need to mix 1:1 white vinegar:Dawn (that is what I use but another dish soap would probably be fine). I have a small squirt bottle, so I use ~1 cup vinegar, heat it up in the micro until warm or a little hot, then add 1 cup of Dawn (this seemed a little excessive to me, so I ended using like 3/4, then added 1/4 cup hot water from the faucet). Shake it up. Then spray the tub, tile, etc. I do this first then clean the rest of the bathroom ~15 min. The I get a sponge and hot water and wipe it off and rinse. Some people will go 1 hr or overnight depending how bad it is. However, after the first time, I just do it once a month or so. I have a cast iron tub, and it works great. I have tried all the scrubbing bubbles, lysol etc, but none them ever got off the stains/scum from buildup etc like this… any hardly any scrubbing. As I said earlier you could probably use a different dish soap..I believe it is just to mainly hold the vinegar in place so it doesn’t go directly down the drain. Hope this helps ‘Frugal Spinster’.

12 Jo@simplybeingmum April 27, 2012 at 11:59 am

Thanks for that Lisa! I’ll most certainly be trying it out…

13 A Frugal Spinster April 27, 2012 at 9:10 pm

me too, thanks.

14 Cindy@Rhinebeck April 27, 2012 at 8:07 am

I have this little tid bit of cranberry sauce left over. It must have been in my fridge for a few weeks. It looks good. I think I can still eat it. Perhaps put it in a turkey sandwich? Wish me luck!

15 Mindy @ debtfreeby26 April 27, 2012 at 8:55 am

No waste for us this week! Used up some broccoli that was getting to the end of it’s life by making Cheddar Broccoli dip. Found an orange that was moldy on the outside, but when I peeled it, it was fine inside :)

16 The Frugal Gal April 27, 2012 at 9:08 am

I had more waste than I hoped to have this week…threw out a corn on the cob, some ravioli, and some taco meat (all from last weekend or earlier this week), and about half a pan of chicken and rice…I think that’s what made me sick last night into this morning…it was probably sitting out on the counter a little too long. I’m a little disappointed, but what I’ve thrown out has been worse. Hoping for way less waste next week!

17 Valeri April 27, 2012 at 9:33 am

I love this idea, and have been thinking about taking up the challenge of posting about what I waste each week. I figured now was as good as a time to start as any. Your blog has inspired me and I am so happy I found it. It is by far one of my favorites.

18 Becca S. April 27, 2012 at 9:34 am

I had some strawberries go bad as well- and some bits of odds and ends from the kids not finishing their sandwiches.

19 Keeping It Simply Thrifty April 27, 2012 at 9:36 am

Just some mashed spuds and cooked leeks this week. 1 portion I think.
Real shame!

20 April April 27, 2012 at 9:39 am

This was my first no waste week!! I hate it when strawberries do that. We love them around here.

21 Donna April 27, 2012 at 10:17 am

Worth a try — since I swear I can HEAR berries threatening to turn on their way home from the market:

22 Kayla April 27, 2012 at 10:24 am

Were they strawberries from Aldi? I usually love my Aldi but I was very disappointed with them this week. I purchased two containers of strawberries from them and threw them out 3 days later…they were already molded!

I should have suspected something was amiss because the day I went there were onions in the bin that were sprouting (i’m talking 4-6in shoots!) and potatoes growing eyes.

I usually have great results from Aldi and I hope they get their act together!

23 Mindy @ debtfreeby26 April 27, 2012 at 10:43 am

I saw the same problem at my local Aldi’s (onions and potatoes). I skipped buying any produce there last week. Their onions haven’t looked good for at least a month. Very disappointing

24 A Frugal Spinster April 27, 2012 at 10:57 am

week two of NO waste fro me, but I did throw a bouquet in the compost

25 A Frugal Spinster April 27, 2012 at 11:04 am

Happy Birthday

26 Glory Lennon April 27, 2012 at 11:17 am

This may gross you out, but figure I’d tell you anyway. I use mushy, inedible berries, even moldy ones, to make a cheap rejuvenating mask for my face. Just mash up, spread on face and leave on for a few minutes while sitting back and relaxing. Then wash it off and your skin will be tingly feeling, toned and nicely scented! What do you think fruit acid exfoliating masks are?

27 Amie April 27, 2012 at 5:45 pm

Someone who has mold or penicillin allergies may want to deter from this. But yes pretty much what those masks are based off of.

28 Barb @ A Life in Balance April 27, 2012 at 11:25 am

Can I just say I love this challenge? I’m so much better about using stuff so I don’t have to post about it on Fridays. ;)

29 Karin April 27, 2012 at 11:43 am

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, KRISTEN!

(To make it relevant, 1/2 cucumber here…)

30 Reese April 27, 2012 at 1:12 pm

Wait, Birthday?I see how that sneaked in there… I didnt have a menu plan to look at the birthday food. I totally expect to see a birthday food recap for this event!

And Happy Birthday, too, darling sneaky girl ;)

31 Sharon April 27, 2012 at 11:58 am

I’m brand new at this & I’m shocked at how much food waste I have! I just haven’t really paid attention to it before. Thanks for bringing it to the front of my mind!

32 Stef April 27, 2012 at 12:26 pm

3 smallish soggy/moldy cucumbers, and 2 pieces of chicken thighs. I really tried eating them thighs but I don’t know… In our family we tend to eat chicken once and hate having to warm it up in the microwave for next time. Poor chicky…

33 A Frugal Spinster April 27, 2012 at 9:17 pm

You could use the chicken in sandwiches or salads. I like Cobb, Asian & Chicken Caesar.

34 Stef April 27, 2012 at 12:31 pm

To save strawberries for a few extra days, slice them up and sprinkle some table sugar and refrigerate! My mom told me this and it works great, it really adds up to maybe 3-4 days longer fresher juicier strawberries!

35 {Adventuresindinner} April 27, 2012 at 2:59 pm

Really, really not a great food waste week. Eek! But at least we have homemade bread.

36 Melody, Countrified Hicks blogger April 27, 2012 at 4:42 pm

Glad to be a part of your “Food Waste Friday”. I linked up and look forward to being a part of this on a regular basis.

37 Skirnir Hamilton April 27, 2012 at 10:13 pm

This was again not a good food waste week for me. Tossed out a bit more cold cuts and a tablespoonish of brown rice and a small piece of a breaded chicken breast. With our easter ham, no one was eating the cold cuts and I make a few too many good left overs for lunches sometimes that people don’t eat cold cuts. But the Easter ham has been used up. I do have some ham broth and that may be used in a split pea soup with some smoked sausage tomorrow. So not much left overs in the fridge and that should set me up for a much better week this week.

38 Laura Vanderkam April 29, 2012 at 10:55 pm

Kristen- If you haven’t already read it, you might enjoy Edward Humes’ new book, Garbology. He talks a fair amount about food waste (the book is broadly about the American trash logistics chain — where it goes, what is done with it). Apparently, analysis of garbage finds that people lie a lot about what kinds of food they consume and what they throw away. I can’t say I’m surprised. We overestimate the veggies, and underestimate the booze :)

39 Kristen April 29, 2012 at 11:04 pm

I always think people must do that sort of thing with time studies too…overestimate the hours they spend reading and underestimate their TV watching.

I’m going to go see if my library has a copy of this book!