Food Waste Friday | a peach problem

Every week, I post a picture of the food that has gone bad over the last seven days. Why do I do this? Because in March of 2008, I finally got fed up with the amount of food I was wasting, and I thought that showing my waste to other people would motivate me to use up my food instead of wasting it. Because this often embarrassing practice was so helpful for me, I invited other bloggers to join me in posting their food waste photos, and Food Waste Friday was born. If you’re not a blogger but still want some food waste accountability, feel free to participate by leaving a comment.

So, you know how I bought those two bags of peaches? Well, something is wrong with them…they’re behaving like grocery store peaches, turning brown and rotten before they become soft and ripe.

This isn’t my fault, of course, and I’m going to call the orchard to see if they can give me replacements or my money back.

Sigh. I’m bummed…I was so looking forward to juicy peach goodness.

________________________________________________

How did you do this week? If you blogged about your food waste, link us up by entering your info into the widget below. You’ll save money, reduce your trash output, and get a little publicity for your blog! And if you don’t blog, you can still share about your food waste by leaving a comment.

Comments

Did your peaches get banged around? Nothing like all over bruising to make a peach go south fast! I feel you about the grocery store produce though. A few weeks ago I bought a half pint of raspberries and the one in the center was completely molded right after I brought it home! I carefully extracted all the other raspberries, rinsed them off, and placed them in a new container not touching one another. The lasted for over a week!

It’s been almost a year since I started participating in Food Waste Friday proving that little by little your habits can immensely improve! Every Friday I do No Waste Tastes Great, and am at a point where there just isn’t anything in the fridge. Well apart from 1x egg 1x tomato 1x small block of cheddar – and of course they got their picture taken!! Just enough leftovers (still fresh and would last for many days to come – but that’s all I have to cook with)for toasties and an omelette today – Takeaway for Hubby and I (He’s missing his takeaways. I’d put a stop on them after my cooking from scratch experiment and discovered I could make it considerably cheaper – which I know isn’t the point of a takeaway but once I’d done it I was struggling to order one knowing the price increase). Every day this week I have been inspecting the fridge (I had a ‘use it up’ week where I didn’t grocery shop apart from essentials as required – milk, eggs etc…). I really enjoy doing this and the added bonus this week was just as the cupboard and fridge were about to run bare, we were given ripe homegrown tomatoes from a work colleague! Hurrah! Slow-cooked some tomato soup yesterday and had with cheese and toms on toast. Thanks again Kristen for the inspiration! have a lovely weekend – car boot sale for me so hopefully a few pennies coming our way from our old junk…
    pps – sorry very long comment – haven’t had much company today and the lack of conversation has obviously affected me…
    ps – there’s some media in the UK about best before and sell by dates. It’s likely they are being reviewed and potentially scrapped! About time! How dried pasta can have a use by date has always been a mystery to me??????????? Let’s hope it goes some way to reducing the 600+ that an average family in the UK throws away each year. Imagine throwing away approx. 10% of your food each week!

3. Maureen says

When I purchased peaches 2 weeks ago at my orchard, they told me they were at the end of the season and the juiciness isn’t there anymore. They are sweet, just not juicy. So maybe since it’s at the end of the peach season, they ripen a lot faster.

4. jessi says

Peaches are tricky. I’ve had my fair share of local organic peaches go bad like yours did. I really think the best peaches are the ones that ripen on the tree.

5. Cat says

Hey Kristin~ I belong to a fruit and veggie co-op, Bountiful Baskets, and last week they offered extra cases of peaches. There have been a multitude of complaints on their facebook page that the peaches looked fine one day, and the next, moldy and rotting from the inside. Sounded very similar.

This a common stone fruit issue. Peaches and nectarines are the worst culprits around here. I think they are just super delicate.

If you cant get refunds/replacement, what about using them for jam? Thats become my go to solution to ‘fruit on the verge’.

7. SarahD says

Hmmm, I’ve had similar problems with peaches and plums this week. They are fine one day, and then the next, have fuzzy mold on them. I did read in a news article that allergy season is going to be long and difficult this year, due to so much mold in the air from all the extra rain and flooding in some places. I do wonder if this mold has something to do with the fruit going bad so much more quickly this season. Don’t know if this hypothesis holds water, but it’s a thought.

8. Jenessa says

I have about four slices of store bought white bread that are going to get fed to the birds. The boyfriend bought it and I only like white bread as french toast, so I didn’t use it up. I have a bunch of dairy products in the fridge that I am still working on using up. They are past their sell by dates, but still smell fine which is all I really care about.

9. Simply Mommy says

I don’t even want to think about the amount of food that I throw out. I just started reading your blog and it’s really gotten me to thinking about what is hiding in my fridge. How much waste we have and the amount of money I throw out each week. I’m changing my ways. Easier said than done but I have to start somewhere. :) This weekend I’m cleaning out the fridge and cupboards. Organizing everything and finding out just what is hiding in there. I’ll try and remember to keep track of my waste so I can take ownership of it here later. I cringe at the very thought.

• EngineerMom says

Yay for another food waste convert!

You don’t have to tackle the whole pantry/fridge/freezer all at once, if that’s too big a project. I seem to remember Kristen doing a pantry clean-out pretty recently that turned up years-expired canned goods!

One of the biggest perspective shifts is that your fridge will look “empty” when it’s not crammed full of expired food. Just wanted to warn you, since my mom and MIL both think I have no food when they visit, even right after a shop, since my fridge only has what we’ll use in the next week or two!

• Simply Mommy says

I’m hoping (fingers crossed) that since we just moved into this house in the middle of July it wont be too bad….I hope.

10. Jen says

Bad week for produce here. The last bits of: grapes and celery, a pear, 2 small tomatoes, an ear of corn, and about a 1/4 c. of orange-rhubarb butter that was moldy hit the compost. I clearly ovebought and things got overlooked in a busy week. Hoping for better this week!

11. Meredith says

Same happened to my peaches. Hard one day and moldy and gross the next. I couldn’t even salvage part of them for syrup or jam. Bummer.

Aww, that’s too bad about the peaches! I hate it when that happens.
    I nearly had a bunch of Roma tomatoes go bad that I bought from Costco last week, but I cut them up (even though they were a bit wrinkly) and put them into some chili I was making.
    I had a ton of other waste though; an entire casserole, :( a moldy apple, a few chips, another apple, one sausage, half a banana and half of one of the tomatoes that didn’t quite look edible.

13. EngineerMom says

We are looking at a no-waste week!

Used up some LO mashed potatoes, mushroom gravy, geen beans, and a frozen smidge of cooked chicken in shepard’s pie.

Used up meat sauce I’d made for ravioli earlier in the week in a pasta bake that was enough for 1 diiner and 1 lunch serving.

Been eating LO baked beans as an evening snack.

Managed to resist overstocking on veggies and fruit, and only bought what we’d use easily, then made one more run for some grapes yesterday.

14. Alicia says

umm I recently adopted 2 rabbits so that I would stop throwing produce away! It’s worked beautifully and I have 2 very happy bunnies! lol

15. Megan says

One of these days I am going to have to start participating. I’m trying to get to the point where it’s not entirely embarrassing. I threw out 5 oranges and a lemon that had been there since… well I haven’t bought oranges for a couple months. They finally got beyond the point where I could use them to freshen the garbage disposable, but they had been inedible for quite some time. I have no idea why we didn’t eat them.

16. Lilypad says

Last week, I tried a new recipe (Blueberry Breakfast Cake on the King Arthur Flour website) to use up some ricotta and sour cream before it went bad. It was a big hit with my husband and son (10) and I was so proud of myself that those dairy products didn’t go to waste…then when I reached into the fridge to make dinner that night, the 7 mushrooms I was planning on using up were too far gone. Aargh. You win some, you lose some, I guess. I’m not giving up—this morning, I made some muffins to use up the last of the milk. (We don’t use a lot of dairy in this house, I’m 85% vegan, and whatever I buy seems to be too much!) I just forced down some watermelon even though it was the most tasteless watermelon I’ve ever had…the fight against food waste continues. Thanks for the inspiration, Kristen!

17. Stef says

Same thing happened to me when I go some peaches that her father had growing in his backyard, so they were fresh but the next day they were soft and moldy. I ate one peach that was on the harder side and it was actually ready to eat! It was not juicy or soft so maybe this season, you get it and eat it or ……waaaaa compost!

Don’t know about peaches (I’m not a fan anyway) but today at my Loblaw’s superstore (in Canada) the direct-from-the-orchard apples were in! I love these apples, no polish, a few “undersized,” but terrific to taste…in fact, I no longer eat apples any other time of year but for the few weeks that the directs are on sale!

19. Mairsydoats says

Same thing happened with my last bag of peaches… I was able to salvage 2 cups which I magically transformed into salsa, but sheesh! Hard and rotten at the same time. And there I was dutifully smelling their stem ends daily, waiting for yumminess to come over them…

Other food waste? I don’t know the damage until I clean out my fridge on Sunday. So I’ll stay in blissful ignorance until then. I am predicting, however, some nasty lettuce and green beans, as well as at least part of a container of ricotta (the good stuff, too). Progress, not perfection, right?