Wednesday Baking | Apple Pfannekuchen

Every Wednesday (ok, most Wednesdays!) I share a baking recipe. And lots of pictures of said baking recipe. I don’t call this Wednesday Baking because I bake solely on Wednesdays…no, my oven gets a workout much more frequently than once a week! Wednesday just happens to be the day I share baking recipes with you. All the past baking posts are archived in the Wednesday Baking category, which can also be found in a tab underneath my blog header.

Today’s recipe is maybe more commonly known as a Dutch Apple Pancake, but when I was growing up, we called them Apple Pfannekuchen, so that’s what I’m sticking with!

This eggy, puffy breakfast pancake is best eaten hot out of the oven, but the good news is that it’s fairly easy to throw together in the morning. It bakes for about 20 minutes, so if you’re in a big rush, you could put the pancake together and then go prepare for your day while it bakes.

My husband and son are not fans of anything remotely eggy (except for French Toast), so the girls and I are the sole Apple Pfannekuchen consumers. I usually find that two pancakes are enough for the four of us, though I distinctly remember singlehandedly polishing off two entire pie plates when I was pregnant with Joshua. Hee.

So, if you’re pregnant, maybe you should make a little extra. ;)

To start off, place 2 tablespoons of butter into a 9-inch pie plate. Place the plate into a cold oven and turn it on to 400 degrees. The pan will be hot and the butter melted by the time you’re finished with the rest of the pancake prep.

Next, peel and slice up a medium-sized apple. You can use a fresh apple, of course, but this is also a great way to use random leftover apple slices, an apple with a few bites out of it, or an apple with a few bad spots.

Combine 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon and 2 tablespoons of sugar.

Whisk the flour, egg, and salt together until smooth, and then whisk in the milk. If you add the milk earlier, it’ll be really difficult to get all the lumps out of the flour, so resist the temptation!

Take the now-hot pan out of the oven. The butter should be melted, but if it’s not, you can leave it in for a few more minutes.

Dump the apples into the hot pan.

Sprinkle the cinnamon sugar over the apples.

And finally, pour the egg batter over top of the apples.

Place the pan in the oven and bake the pancake for about 15-20 minutes, or until it’s puffy and brown.

It’s super hot when it comes out of the oven, so you’ll want to let it cool down a bit before serving it.

Apple Pfannekuchen
-makes 1
Printable Apple Pfannekuchen Recipe

2 tablespoons butter
2 eggs
3/8 cup (6 tablespoons) flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/8 cup (6 tablespoons) milk
1 medium apple, peeled and sliced
2 tablespoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon

Place butter in a 9-inch pie plate, and place in oven. Heat oven to 400 F.

Beat eggs, flour, and salt together until smooth. Whisk in milk.

Combine 2 tablespoons sugar and 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon.

Remove pan from oven when butter is melted. Place apples in pan, sprinkle with cinnamon sugar mixture, and pour egg mixture over top.

Bake for 18-20 minutes or until puffed and brown.

p.s.-there’s been a request for an “after” picture of my messy office, so I’ll be back later with that!

Comments

1. Theresa says

I do believe I see THIS morning’s breakfast! Everything in the fridge, now where’s my apron?

Just saw this about 30 minutes ago and I already have one baking in the oven. Seriously, this was so easy. Thank you for sharing this. I am not much of a baker, but I do keep trying. My kids are asleep and they will have such a treat when they wake up (mama baked?? Huh?)

Of course, the apple pfannekuchen may not last until they wake up. Oops.

3. Krisha says

That looks amazing! And just look at that – I happen to be pregnant and I happen to have apples in my CSA box today. Guess what mommy is making for breakfast.

• Mesha says

I love Pannekoeken! I have a special Pannekoeken pan, but really, as long as the batter can “puff” over the edges, you should be fine.

4. Faith says

I used my cast iron pan to make this this morning. My husband raved over it. I made all the stuff last night and put in the frig in bowls. Then I turned my oven on to come on at 5:15 (with my pan and butter). I woke up at 5:20 and dumped the apples, cinnamon and sugar, and egg mixture. Then we both got ready for work and the house smelled amazing. And we actually sat down and had breakfast this morning before we left for work. It was so good! Thanks!

5. BarbS says

We make this all the time… we call them “German Pancakes.” I don’t know why, that’s just what my family always called them. I also use glass pie pans, but in a pinch I have used cake pans and cast iron pots. I use a large glass casserole dish once in a while, when I’m making them for many people — doubling the recipe since it is so much bigger than my pan.

I never use salt. Since there’s no baking powder to activate, and no yeast to retard, I don’t think the salt is necessary (and it was not in my family recipe :-) We sometimes leave out the apples and cinnamon sugar. It makes the pancake less sweet, but then each person “dresses” it as they prefer: with powdered sugar, berries or maple syrup — more like a traditional pancake. My son likes to use lemon juice and powdered sugar.

It’s a great meal, I even make them for dinner once in a while. Basically flour, eggs, and milk, with a bit of butter — all ingredients that are good for you.

6. Steve says

You omitted the final step:
    Eat pfannekuchen straight out of pan…in one sitting…with your fingers.

7. AlisonT says

I just made these this morning, and they puffed up like they are supposed to… but then they fell when I took them out of the oven. Any thoughts on what might have gone wrong? (They are still yummy, but pretty flat.)

8. Mary says

Tried these this morning, easy and delicious. My husband liked it, a nice change from our usual pancakes.

9. Doreen says

This recipe was super easy and very delicious!!! My husband, who never acts too excited about things I make, raved about this dish. It’s certainly a keeper. We even thought it would be a fun recipe to make for a special afternoon treat with tea. And with summer’s fresh fruit coming, I was even wondering what it would be like with fresh peaches, apricots or plums. The possibilites are endless I’m thinking. Thanks so much for a terrific recipe!

10. Margaret says

I love this recipe! But I must admit that when I make it for my family (me, my husband and our 18 month old) I triple it and put it in a 9×13 pan. ;-)

11. Amie says

I don’t have any apples, but I wonder if a pear would work …?? Love cinnamon and pear combined.

• Kristen says

I wish I could help you, but I’m totally clueless about gluten-free baking. Maybe someone else can help. You’d think this would be pretty easy to do gluten-free, since there’s not a ton of flour and the eggs help to bind it all together.

12. Yvonne says

I make Apfel Pfannekuchen all the time and of course ate it all the time growing up in Germany but it’s different than this recipe.

1. It’s actually fried in a pan/which is why it’s called Pfannekuchen
    2. No cinnamon but add vanilla instead. Add some baking powder.

It always reminds me of Funnel Cake except that it has apples.

13. Cre says

I just made this and my hubby and I ate the whole thing before dinner. I used it as snack verse a meal. The first one rose and fell, but it had more apples than the second one. This will be a regular item at my house. Might be nice as a dessert when in laws come over on short notice.