Wednesday Baking | Hot Fudge Pudding Cake

by Kristen on May 19, 2010 · 43 comments

in Desserts, Recipes, Wednesday Baking

Every Wednesday (ok, most Wednesdays!) I share a baking recipe. And lots of pictures of said baking recipe. I don’t call this Wednesday Baking because I bake solely on Wednesdays…no, my oven gets a workout much more frequently than once a week! Wednesday just happens to be the day I share baking recipes with you. All the past baking posts are archived in the Wednesday Baking category, which can also be found in a tab underneath my blog header.

Today’s recipe is not at all healthy. Not in the slightest. So, if you are the sort of person who shuns all things unhealthy, you can go and bake some whole wheat bread. Or whole wheat rolls. Or you can make a spinach salad. Or a zucchini salad.

But if you like to have some yummy dessert every now and then, make yourself comfortable, because I’m going to show you how to make this:

My husband and kids love this dessert, and since I bake desserts fairly infrequently, they’re usually over the moon when I serve this.

Not only is this recipe delicious, it’s also super-duper easy compared to most cakes. No frosting is necessary, you don’t have to mess with trying to get a cake out of a pan without breaking it, and you don’t even have to cream any butter.

To start, mix the dry ingredients together. I find that cocoa powder tends to have stubborn lumps in it, as does baking powder, so I always send mine through a sieve first.

Hot Fudge Pudding Cake

Mix the milk, vanilla, and melted butter together.

(there’s only milk and vanilla in that picture. Could you please just imagine some melted butter? Thanks.)

Gently mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients.

Spread the batter (dough? It’s sort of stiff to be called batter. Though, I have never heard of cake dough, so we should probably stick to calling it batter.) into an ungreased 8×8 pan

(see? I told you this was easy! You don’t even have to grease a pan.)

Mix 1/2 cup sugar, 1/2 cup brown sugar, and 4 tablespoons of cocoa powder together. My brown sugar always has some lumps in it, but I obviously am not too concerned about it.

Dump the sugar/cocoa powder mixture over top of the batter.

Next, pour 1 1/4 cups of hot water over top of the whole thing.

Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 40 minutes.

During baking, the cake rises to the top and the liquid settles to the bottom and makes a kind of pudding-y sauce.

This cake is at its best when it’s freshly made, so I usually like to mix this up and put it into the oven when we sit down for dinner. That way it comes out of the oven just as we’re ready for dessert.

You really should serve this cake with ice cream. The ice cream kind of melts into the sauce and cuts the sweetness just perfectly.

Go make this! Your family (or roommates. or friends.) will love you.

Hot Fudge Pudding Cake
Printable Hot Fudge Pudding Cake Recipe

3/4 cup sugar
1 cup flour
3 tablespoons cocoa powder
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup milk
1/3 cup melted butter
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla

1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
4 tablespoons cocoa powder

1 1/4 cups hot water (I usually boil mine)

Heat oven to 350 degrees.

Mix sugar, flour, cocoa powder, and baking powder together in a medium bowl. Combine milk, melted butter and vanilla; add to dry ingredients. Stir gently to combine, then spread into an ungreased 8×8 inch baking pan.

Combine brown sugar, white sugar, and cocoa powder; sprinkle over top of batter. Pour hot water over top of cake, and bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 40 minutes. Let cool for 5-10 minutes, then serve in bowls with vanilla ice cream.

1 Jessica @ This Blessed Life May 19, 2010 at 7:57 am

Oh my gosh, I’m drooling. And I just had breakfast. :)

2 Pam May 19, 2010 at 8:07 am

I have this same recipe in an old cookbook and it is SO good. I like to make it b/c usually one has all the ingredients on hand. In an emergency case of sweet cravings :)

3 Kristen May 19, 2010 at 9:20 am

I like it for that reason too…although, I don’t usually have vanilla ice cream around, so I have to think ahead on that end.

4 Tammy May 19, 2010 at 9:07 am

I have this recipe. It was handed down from my grandma to my mom and down to me. COMFORT FOOD!!!!

5 Melissa May 19, 2010 at 9:16 am

I made this a couple weekends ago. I guess it’s the season for hot fudge pudding cake!

6 wanda May 19, 2010 at 9:16 am

I just made this over the weekend and it was fantastic and easy. But is this a coincidence or were you inspired by Tasty Kitchen (http://thepioneerwoman.com/tasty-kitchen-blog/2010/05/a-tasty-recipe-my-grannys-chocolate-cobbler/)? Maybe it’s just that everyone is thinking about warm gooey chocolate…

7 Kristen May 19, 2010 at 9:20 am

lol! Nope, I rarely manage to read PW’s blog (I find it to be overwhelming in scope and size!), so this was a coincidence. I actually thought about posting this because I made it on Sunday when we had some company over.

I got the recipe from my mom long ago, and she got it from one of those old freebie Hershey’s recipe booklets. This recipes been around for a while!

Edit: I just went to read the recipe on Tasty Kitchen, and my goodness! The pictures there are much nicer. My photos are embarrassed now. lol

8 Crystal May 19, 2010 at 11:38 am

I stumbled across her blog one day and was just captivated for, like, a whole afternoon! I LOVE it, but like you I rarely visit because it is overwhelming for me as well. My mom bought me her cookbook for Christmas (boo that I have to wait for Christmas though! lol), so I’m super excited about that.

9 Kristen May 19, 2010 at 12:10 pm

Yeah, I feel silly for not reading her more often, but I just feel like I can’t keep up! lol

I feel silly for saying this too, but I find that I don’t tend to read blogs as much when they’re set up like hers…I want to go straight to the blog, not to a front page where I have to click over to more stuff (I feel the same way about blogs where I have to click, “Read more”. ) I know it’s just a click, but I guess I’m sort of lazy about that. lol

10 Faith May 19, 2010 at 2:30 pm

Me too!! I don’t like to click to read more.

11 Nancy May 19, 2010 at 9:26 am

I have a recipe like this that I make for my family on special occassions. It is so dang good. They love it and so do I. Serving it with ice cream is a must!

12 Mrs Green @ my zero waste May 19, 2010 at 9:31 am

You have so convinced me to make pudding this evening LOL! That looks totally awesome – thank you!

13 Mary Ann May 19, 2010 at 9:41 am

I just recently attempted to make this. Have no idea what went wrong, but the top never turned to cake. I then over-baked it in an attempt to get the top to turn into cake, and the bottom was like a super-chewy brownie. Until, it cooled and then it was like cement in the pan. That recipe went in the trash. So disappointing.

14 Kristen May 19, 2010 at 9:43 am

That is so weird! I’ve made this recipe tons of times and it’s always turned out perfectly. Hmn. I wonder what made yours go so wrong. lol

15 julie May 19, 2010 at 10:36 am

looks super yummy! my husband will love this.

16 Kristin May 19, 2010 at 10:42 am

This brought back a fun memory for me….
When my husband and I were first married we went to Applebees and shared their triple chocolate meltdown with this chocolaty sauce in the center. My husband cut away a piece of the cake so all the gooey goodness would spill out on his side of the plate….I resolved the non sharing issue by rotating the plate so all the gooey goodness was on my side…I sure showed him! Boy will he be suprised when I make this and let him eat all the chocolatey goo he wants. Thanks for sharing this.

17 Vicky Kelly May 19, 2010 at 10:43 am

Oh my, this looks good! I will have to double or triple the recipe to make it for my family lol but yum!

18 Carla May 19, 2010 at 10:50 am

Pudding Cake! I haven’t made it in years! Thanks for the reminder, Kristen. It’s easy and yummy.

19 Jeanine May 19, 2010 at 10:58 am

It is quite possible that I just fell in love, online, with a cake………

Or maybe the pictures…..

I need a bib.

20 Crystal May 19, 2010 at 11:41 am

LOVE this stuff!!! My aunt always makes it with her Christmas dinner so a few months ago I called and got the recipe. It’s one of those really neat ones where it’s just mystifying that it works the way it does. And, sooo yummy!

21 Kristen May 19, 2010 at 12:23 pm

It is really odd the way it works! You’d never think it would turn out the way it does.

22 magdalena May 19, 2010 at 11:49 am

Oh, yes, a treasured family recipe. Funny, I just blogged about allowing some unhealthy choices into our lives – like cake. Mary Ann may not have added the right amount of flour or the baking powder may be dead. It doesn’t last all that long. Mine’s gone flat after six months.

23 Laurie May 19, 2010 at 12:20 pm

Love this! I have every ingredient sitting right there in the cabinet at home. Can’t wait to get off work to try this.

Have you ever sent this in Mr. FG’s lunch? I always send a treat/snack in my husbands and am wondering if this would transport well.

24 Kristen May 19, 2010 at 12:23 pm

This is actually not so great leftover…the sauce kind of absorbs into the cake, and it’s kind of messy. lol My kids will eat it leftover, but to me, it’s not worth the calories/sugar when it’s not hot and fresh.

25 Jessica Herbst May 19, 2010 at 12:30 pm

oohhhhh shame on you! lol Now I’ll never shake this chocolate craving. I should have taken your advice and looked at the whole wheat bread recipe. lol That looks INCREDIBLE!!!

26 Tara Morrison May 19, 2010 at 12:43 pm

The end product reminds me of a delicious Lemon Pudding cake I made this past weekend from Fannie Farmer baking book (one of my faves) SPonge cake on top and lemon curd/ pudding on the bottom!

27 Maggie May 19, 2010 at 12:45 pm

I have this in the oven right now! Here’s to brownie points with the fam :)

28 LenciB May 19, 2010 at 4:22 pm

I’m making these! I’m still on the aussie chicken recipe…my husband is a fan!

29 maura May 19, 2010 at 4:43 pm

I am all over this! It looks soooo good! Can’t wait to make it in the next day or so! Thanks!

30 Heather May 19, 2010 at 8:21 pm

Right about now I am wishing I remembered which box my square pan is packed in. :(

And I’m with you…not a fan of the “Read more…” set up on blogs.

31 Kristin @ klingtocash May 20, 2010 at 10:27 am

Making this over the weekend!

32 Kristen May 20, 2010 at 10:30 am

I made this last night for our Grow Group that meets at our house! It was super yummy! Thanks! :) Happy Thursday!

33 Sara May 20, 2010 at 10:36 am

I made this last night. Everyone loved it! I loved that I had all of the ingredients in my pantry. Thank you for the pictures. I love your blog.

34 Michelle May 20, 2010 at 11:20 am

Made this for my family last night and it was a hit! They all raved over it and it was so easy to whip up. Thanks again!

Michelle

35 Laura May 20, 2010 at 9:54 pm

made this tonight for the family. Definately a hit! Thank you for sharing!

36 Steve May 23, 2010 at 3:37 pm

Made this tonight. It reminds me of “Chocolate Casserole” that I remember once my mum making years ago and never managed to find the recipe for it. Unfortunately I over cooked this a bit due to cooking other things all at the same time and forgetting times I put things in the oven to it did not have the sauce I was hoping for. Never mind, I will redo it another night and take more care.

The amount of cocoa seems a lot, 7 tablespoons already? It really did taste nice, but it used up nearly a whole tin of cocoa :o

37 Sherry Blair June 2, 2010 at 9:37 pm

When I saw this, I HAD TO fix it (memories from my childhood made me want to try it). I have a large glass bread pan that I fixed this in by cutting the recipe in half—as much as I wanted to try it, since there are just two of us at home, eating all of a regular 8×8 pan seemed a little over the top, so cut it back and it made two small potions for each of us for dessert–first nite with a nice dollop of heavy whipped cream and tonite with our favorite dark chocolate raspberry ice cream. Good stuff!!!!

38 Lisa O Shea June 7, 2010 at 11:10 pm

Mine is in the oven as we speak, fingers crossed!Just made home-made pizza too, yum after a day at the thrift stores!Got some nice buys!

39 Shannon July 3, 2010 at 5:39 am

I make this in the slow cooker, that way I can go away and do other things while it’s cooking, much less chance of it burning! I love it!

40 Tara July 31, 2010 at 1:29 pm

Thank you for this recipe! I have tried a similar recipe that was so disappointing, but I see from yours what is lacking in the one I used. I can’t wait to try this one out; I’m sure it will be great! :)

41 Tasha August 6, 2010 at 4:28 pm

I just saw this very recipe in an old Betty Crocker cookbook from the 70s. I picked it up for a quarter, and this recipe def was a looker.. Super easy. I made it the other day, But changed a few things. It was yummy.

42 zerrin January 16, 2011 at 1:47 pm

Wow! This looks adorable! You’re killing me with this pudding cake. I can imagine how tempting it smells. Yum!

43 Trina February 27, 2011 at 11:42 pm

I made this tonight in honor of my daughters 1/2 birthday (she turned 6 1/2 today). We have never celebrated 1/2 birthdays before but she is super excited to be 6 1/2 so I decided to make a special dessert for her and THIS WAS THE ONE!!! It was absolutely delish!! thanks so much for posting it. Any more i just check your site first when needing a new recipe :)