The nightstand-painted!

by Kristen on January 27, 2009 · 42 comments

in freecycle, Home Decorating, Painting

Last week the weather was indeed warm enough for me to spray the primer onto the nightstand, and I also got a couple of coats of paint done before it got dark. Although it got colder the next day, I was able to finish up the rest of the painting indoors(since I brush on the actual paint, I can do it indoors in a pinch).

I think the new nightstand matches Zoe’s dresser a lot better, and I think it fits the scale of her room better too(for those of you that are new, here’s the original post about this nightstand).

As a reminder, here’s what it looked like before.

img_0261

After sanding, priming, and painting(and also a bit of caulking), here’s what it looks like now:

img_0719-1

Here’s what the old nightstand looked like in her room:

And here’s what the new one looks like:

img_0731

Just to show how surprisingly well they match…
img_0723
You want to know something super fabulous? I didn’t end up having to buy any hardware! I poked around in the toolbox and lo and behold, there were two silver knobs that matched the two silver knobs on the larger dresser. This means that I didn’t lay out any extra cash for the nightstand at all, since I already had sandpaper, primer, paint, and hardware.

I did remember to take pictures while I did this project, and once I edit and organize them, I’ll do a painting tutorial. I had to do this post first, though, because I was just too anxious to show you all the nightstand!

1 Renee January 27, 2009 at 3:37 pm

You did such a wonderful job! Cant wait to see the tutorial for some painting tips!

2 Jenny January 27, 2009 at 4:32 pm

Unbelievable!

3 Whitney January 27, 2009 at 4:40 pm

Awesome job!! I can’t wait for the tutorial. I found two great finds(a dresser and twin bed) and I am waiting on your tutorial to fix mine up!

4 Frugal Dreamer January 27, 2009 at 5:25 pm

Looks Great!! :-) And matches nicely!

5 Daisy January 27, 2009 at 7:33 pm

It came out beautifully!! I love it. It’s amazing to me what a great match it is for the dresser.

6 Annie's Granny January 27, 2009 at 9:00 pm

Absolutely beautiful, Kristen! I have an entire bedroom set consisting of two twin beds, a nightstand and a large dresser with mirror. I’ve been tempted to paint it white, and you are tempting me further. I’m looking forward to your tutorial, as you do such a wonderful job on yours.

7 Amy N January 27, 2009 at 9:45 pm

Well done! So profesh!

8 maddie January 27, 2009 at 10:14 pm

Really impressive…and inspiring!

9 Indeeds January 28, 2009 at 7:00 am

Nicely done! And yay for finding ‘free’ hardware!

10 Kimi January 28, 2009 at 7:50 am

Thanks for sharing your nightstand story. I appreciate your honesty. When you aquired the piece saying you’d have to wait until spring to refurbish it. Yet you took the first opportunity of nice (well a tad above freezing) weather to work on it. It motivates me to get projects done at the first opportunity, rather than use excuses and put them off. Your nightstand looks great!

11 CanadianSaver January 28, 2009 at 8:45 am

That looks very professional! Great job!

12 Another Kristen January 28, 2009 at 1:06 pm

Looks so great! The whole room is very pretty.

13 MakingUpForPastMistakes January 28, 2009 at 2:10 pm

Great job! And I love the new fish in her room too! :-)

14 Dana January 28, 2009 at 2:25 pm

WOW Frugal Girl…it looks so beautiful!! I love to paint furniture, I used to paint everything white, now I paint everything black. Black is much easier. You continue to inspire and impress me.

15 Kristen January 28, 2009 at 2:31 pm

Thanks, everyone. :) Dana, I’ve painted almost all of my furniture black(a chair, a table, a desk, two dressers, and a file cabinet), but I’ve done white for everything in Zoe’s room. Somehow, I didn’t think black would work with her light pink room. lol

16 denise January 28, 2009 at 9:24 pm

That looks terrific!

17 Katy Wolk-Stanley January 29, 2009 at 12:09 pm

Kristen,

The lil’ dresser turned out perfect! I have a very similar one that my neighbors put on the curb. I’m trying to locate some free primer, and I think I’ll step up that search now! My 13-year-old needs a bedside table.

Okay, I have to ask . . . Is your daughter’s room really that free from crap?

Frugally yours,

Katy Wolk-Stanley
“Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.”

The Non-Consumer Advocate

18 Battra92 January 30, 2009 at 8:08 am

I can’t be the only one who sees faces in both pieces. The nightstand is all like “nom nom nom” while the dresser is more “serious dresser is serious.”

Ok, I need a nap.

Great work though. I do have to wonder how your daughter keeps her room so clean. I know for a fact that no matter what my parents did, I never had my room that clean.

19 Kristen January 30, 2009 at 8:15 am

LOL Battra…I can’t say I’ve seen faces there before. Perhaps I’m too well-rested. :p

Regarding the cleanliness of the room, yes, her room does look like that a lot of the time. But, that’s because she’s the youngest one, so I’m mostly responsible for maintaining her room. Plus, most of the toys are stored in my son’s room(his is the biggest room by far). Katy, you’d feel much better if I posted pictures of Joshua’s room…he is SUCH a clutter magnet, and he never gets the cleaning urge. I do make him clean it up every day, but it’s a struggle for sure.

20 nmcg22 February 1, 2009 at 8:50 am

Wow! That looks fabulous!

21 Renee February 24, 2009 at 10:17 pm

Freecycle is awesome! I am looking forward to the painting tutorial. It seems like everytime I attempt to paint a piece the paint scratches off easily :( Yours looks professional!

22 Zizo November 1, 2011 at 10:41 pm

Hi Kristen,

Thanks so much for sharing your experience with us, I love your blog!
I have a quick question for you: when you sand and paint a dresser, do you actually take it apart first? It seems hard to reach some of the corners and sand them properly if you don’t.

Thank you!

23 Kristen November 2, 2011 at 10:07 am

Nope, I don’t take them apart. I do as much sanding as I can with the orbital sander, and then I hand-sand the corners and edges.

24 BJ April 6, 2012 at 12:17 pm

Hi! I’m painting an old dresser of my Dad’s and was wondering–do you put laquer on top of the paint? Your work is so beautiful. Thanks, Barbara.

25 BJ April 6, 2012 at 12:18 pm

26 Dixie Depp September 20, 2012 at 2:28 pm

Do I use a semi-glosspaint when I want to add some darker color rubbings to make it look old or add gold triming?

27 Kristen September 20, 2012 at 3:41 pm

I’m really not too sure…I haven’t ever distressed my pieces.

28 Dixie Depp September 20, 2012 at 7:14 pm

Distressing furniture is fun! I asked the guy at the hardwared about that and he suggested to use flat paint so the rubbings (stain)will adhere to the surface.

29 Colleen Jackson November 19, 2012 at 11:44 am

Can you tell me how you painted the night stand? I have to paint one to and yours looks great. Do I use oil based paint? What type of primer does one use? How much sanding is needed? Thank so much!

30 Kristen November 19, 2012 at 12:20 pm
31 Dawn Bundy December 29, 2012 at 1:39 pm

I made a 3 cabinets.and one one them I had already painted..well I don’t like the end results at all..the cabinets r really nice..but I need a nice finished look to it….I would like the color to be a medium to dark color.. But not to dark..what primer do u recomme..nd

32 Kristen December 29, 2012 at 3:45 pm

Here’s the low-down on how I paint all of my wooden furniture: http://www.thefrugalgirl.com/2009/03/how-to-paint-wooden-furniture/

33 Renee January 23, 2013 at 7:19 pm

What brand of primer did you use when you painted the dresser black?

34 Kristen January 23, 2013 at 8:45 pm

I use the Rustoleum gray spray primer.

35 Jenny February 3, 2013 at 1:30 pm

Great job on painting old furniture! I just started this week and love it. After priming and spray painting (bc it’s faster and I don’t want streaks from a brush-which always happens to me) should I put polyurethane on it? Do you? Like for your girls furniture? And what type do you use, gloss, satin? Thank you!

36 nataly May 22, 2013 at 12:29 am

I have an old bedroom set, (dresser, night stand and headboard). This is of wood and its color is like oak. What paint will be good for it ? Thank you so much.

37 Kristen June 18, 2013 at 7:25 pm

Here’s a post all about the method that I use: http://www.thefrugalgirl.com/2009/03/how-to-paint-wooden-furniture/ It includes paint and primer recommendations.

38 Jedi June 11, 2013 at 4:23 pm

very inspiring for my first piece. Thanks again!

39 B. Rena Holland June 14, 2013 at 4:48 pm

Hey Frugal Girl,

I like making things pretty! My friend is giving me a dresser for my twin grand daughters. My dauther does not like to recycle, I do. I have my before picture and I can’t wait for my after picture.

The tutorial was straight to the point. I can do this. . . However the sanding part I may need my husband.

40 Beth October 15, 2013 at 3:11 pm

I found you via pinterest when I was searching how to refinish old furniture. I love how this turned out!
In the process of looking through the pictures I also noticed the paint color on the wall. It seems like a very light pastel pink. Any chance you remember what color you used? I would love to use this color in my daughter’s room. Thanks!