How to make Pudding Pops

by Kristen on September 14, 2010 · 19 comments

in Desserts, Recipes

My mom gave me a set of Tupperware popsicle molds years ago, and as I mentioned in one of my Kellogg’s posts, they’ve done nothing but collect dust here ever since.

I refound them while I was decluttering this summer, and I’m so glad because they are really handy for making homemade frozen treats. I’ve seen a lot of books/blogs suggest using disposable cups or ice cube trays for this purpose but the resulting popsicle is a really awkward shape and is hard to eat. The molds I have produce a frozen treat that fits into our mouths perfectly, and I really like that nothing about them is disposable…not even the sticks!

So far I’ve only made pudding pops in these (and Joshua made a calorie-free pop!), but I can see lots of possibilities now that I’ve gotten off my duff and given these molds a try.

If you don’t already own molds, you can find quite a few popsicle molds on Amazon and my aunt mentioned that she’d seen them at dollar stores as well. And of course, you can always go the paper cup or ice cube tray route.

If you’re wondering whether it’s worth it to buy molds, hang tight. I’m going to pretend to be all detail-oriented again (I’m so not…I’d have made a dreadful scientist!) and do a price comparison between these and prepared pudding pops and I hope to post that soon.

Anyhow! You’re reading this because you want to know how to make pudding pops, right?

This is so easy, it’s not even really a recipe. To start, you’ll need 2 cups of prepared pudding (whatever flavor you like). You can use an instant mix, a cook and serve mix, or you can make your pudding from scratch.

If you make the cook and serve kind or the pudding from scratch, you’ll want to let the pudding cool down just a bit before pouring it into the molds.

Don’t fill the containers quite to the top, so that they’ll have room to expand as they freeze.

If you’re not using containers specifically for popsicles, you’ll want to freeze the popsicles for 10 minutes or so and then insert the sticks. My popsicle sticks are built into the lids of my containers so I put them in right away.

Freeze the pudding pops until they’re solid (it’ll take a few hours). Before you eat them, let them sit at room temperature for a minute or two. This will make it much easier to remove them from their containers and I think it improves the texture of the pops as well.

Look for a price comparison between these and Jello Pudding Pops next week. I’m super curious to see how they’ll compare!

Today’s 365 post: Haven’t you just ALWAYS wanted one of these?

1 Amanda September 14, 2010 at 7:49 am

We had a set of those old tupperware popsicle molds when I was a kid. What a walk down memory lane!

2 Ellen September 14, 2010 at 8:15 am

so did we.. hummm wonder if mom still has them.. I bet my kids would love them!

3 Dani September 14, 2010 at 9:10 am

I was going to say the same thing … I remember those growing up. I’ll have to ask my mom if she still has them or if they disappeared in a move.

4 WilliamB September 14, 2010 at 9:50 am

I use them to make fruit pops: just pour in pureed fruit and freeze. Sometimes I use fruit that would otherwise be wasted, sometimes I buy fruit just for this. Sometimes I use the juice that collected in the bowl of cut melon — this juice causes the fruit to go bad faster so I drain it, and I prefer pops to cups of juice. Price isn’t the driver fro me, I like that my pops don’t have extra sweetener.

5 ImaFrugalGirl.com September 14, 2010 at 10:26 am

Those look yummy! I wonder if it would work with the ready made pudding cups I have a huge stash of? Hmmm…

6 Kristen September 14, 2010 at 5:21 pm

Yes, I think it would. :)

7 Katy Wolk-Stanley September 14, 2010 at 10:35 am

I have to say that I still have freezer envy. ;-)

-Katy

8 Kristen September 14, 2010 at 5:20 pm

Oh, the freezer in the pictures is just my below-the-fridge freezer, not my chest freezer. ;) I use my chest freezer for long-term storage, and pudding pops just never need to be stored for long. lol

9 Barb @ 1SentenceDiary September 14, 2010 at 10:54 am

My freezer is full-to-bursting most of the time, but once in a while I do make homemade popsicles. Never thought of pudding pops, though. Great idea.
The sticks/covers of my popsicle mold have a bit of a tray to catch the melts, with a sort of a straw on the side. The kids like them better than store-bought popsicles, for sure.
I love WilliamB’s idea of using the leftover juices from cut up fruit. That’s definitely going into my repertoire!

10 Merritt September 14, 2010 at 11:59 am

Love, love, LOVE this idea! Guess what I’ll be making tonight…! Thank you!

11 Michelle September 14, 2010 at 12:04 pm

You can still buy these from Tupperware! I, however, have a “vintage” set (make that several vintage sets) from back when my mom was a Tupperware lady.

I have to admit that I don’t use the provided sticks…they always get left lying around outdoors and are forever getting lost, so I bought a big box of “craft sticks” (ie popsicle sticks) and use those instead.

You can put ANYTHING into these little molds! Yogurt freezes really well and leftover smoothies are great. Or fruit/juice pureed with yogurt. When my kids were little I would sometimes put their half-eaten bowls of yogurt into the molds, topped off with some juice or fruit. You can dress them up with chocolate chips if you want, or mini marshmallows, or whatever. Plain juice is okay, but if the kids suck on them, they’re left with just barely-flavored water, which isn’t as yummy. Basically, if it’s a flavored liquid, you can freeze it into a popsicle.

Also, there are tons of popsicle recipes online, if you still lack ideas.

12 Melissa September 14, 2010 at 2:46 pm

Thanks for the great idea! My son is home sick today and we made orange juice pops and pudding pops.

13 priskill September 14, 2010 at 10:22 pm

Ooh — luscious!! Like a Martha Stewart Living layout!

14 c,faye weber October 2, 2010 at 9:24 pm

So blessed to find you today…Thanks

15 Shelainia May 9, 2011 at 8:46 pm

These are so good!! My daughter wanted cheesecake pudding so I added left over strawberries and mushed the strawberries up. I think the husband liked them more then the kids!!

16 Melisa September 25, 2011 at 11:18 am

Thanks for the recipe. I thought that was how you made them just wanted to be sure before I wasted ingredients.

17 Ardie October 14, 2011 at 4:39 pm

If you like the fun of shopping on EBay go there for the old tupper molds…I just bought 5 sets…..THANKS for receipes

18 Amber B. July 3, 2012 at 12:48 am

do you think i could just use a small round tupperware to put the pudding in? The tupperware is about 2 inches wide, and 2 inches long.

19 Kristen July 3, 2012 at 8:55 am

I think so…it just might be a bit difficult to eat once its frozen!