Wednesday Baking | Blueberry Oatmeal Bread

by Kristen on July 14, 2010 · 33 comments

in Quick Breads, Recipes, Wednesday Baking

Every Wednesday (ok, most Wednesdays!) I share a baking recipe. And lots of pictures of said baking recipe. I don’t call this Wednesday Baking because I bake solely on Wednesdays…no, my oven gets a workout much more frequently than once a week! Wednesday just happens to be the day I share baking recipes with you. All the past baking posts are archived in the Wednesday Baking category, which can also be found in a tab underneath my blog header.

This week, I bought a 20 pound box of New Jersey blueberries (which are sort of local…just a few states away!), which means I have blueberries on the brain. We’ve been eating them by the handful, on yogurt, on cereal, and in fruit salad, but I do like to do some baking when I have fresh blueberries. Of course, you can bake all year long with frozen blueberries, but they’re not quite as nice to use…even straight from the freezer, they almost always bleed and turn the batter/dough an unappealing green shade in spots.

I found this recipe in a Pillsbury cookbook when I was a teenager and I used to make it for my family, as my parents have a number of blueberry bushes along the side of their house. I haven’t made it as often since I got married, as cheap blueberries are harder to come by now! But with 20 pounds on my hands, I thought a loaf of two of this bread was appropriate (I’m going to be making some blueberry streusel muffins too, of course).

This is a quick bread(it rises with baking soda and baking powder, not with yeast), which is good news for those of you who quake in your boots at the mere mention of yeast or kneading. If you can operate a mixing spoon, you can totally make this.

Before you start, turn the oven on to 350 F. That way it’ll be hot when you’re ready to bake your bread.

First, you’ll need to mix all the dry ingredients together. A whisk is GREAT for this.

Second, mix up the milk, oil, eggs, and vanilla (and lemon peel if you want).

(when I first combine these ingredients, the milk bubbles caused by the oil were much larger. Zoe peered into the measuring cup and asked me why I put rocks in!)

Gently stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients along with the blueberries (if you’re using frozen blueberries, mix the batter first and then fold in the berries).

Don’t overstir your batter…if you do, you’ll develop the gluten in the flour, and your bread will be tough. Pour the batter into greased 9×5 inch loaf pans (I think you could use 4×6 pans as well…you’d just want to maybe bake them a little longer).

Bake for 40-50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.

Cool on a wire rack. Quick breads can be beaten while they’re warm, but they’re a bit easier to slice if you let them cool completely.

Blueberry Oatmeal Bread-makes 1 loaf
Printable Blueberry Oatmeal Bread Recipe

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup quick cooking rolled oats
3/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups milk
1/3 cup oil
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
2 eggs
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries (do not thaw)

Heat oven to 350 F. In a large bowl, combine flour, oats, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; mix well. In a small bowl (or a measuring cup), combine milk, oil, vanilla, lemon peel and eggs; blend well. Add to dry ingredients all at once; stir just until dry ingredients are moistened. Gently fold in blueberries.

Pour batter into greased 9×5 inch loaf pan. Bake at 350 F for 40-50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pan. Cool completely on wire rack.

Today’s 365 post: What can I say? We’re easily entertained!

1 jewels July 14, 2010 at 8:42 am

looks very yum!

2 erin July 14, 2010 at 9:14 am

I pretty much love all things blueberry! Adding oatmeal sounds awesome!

3 WilliamB July 14, 2010 at 9:16 am

You can dry them, too. I like dried blueberries better than frozen for baking because it avoids the bleeding problem.

4 Faith July 14, 2010 at 9:37 am

You can add yogurt or applesauce for the oil and you will never notice. I actually think it is better. People rave about my banana blueberry bread when I use yogurt and applesause. :)

One other thing, sprinkle oatmeal and brown sugar over the top when you bake it and it gives it a little more fiber and my family likes it more.

5 Monica July 19, 2010 at 10:18 pm

Does the yogurt have to be plain or could you use vanilla? Regular yogurt or low fat?

6 Mandy July 14, 2010 at 10:04 am

We just went and picked 10 lbs of blueberries too. I have already frozen half of them, but they are so much better fresh. I’ve already made a few blueberry things, but haven’t ever tried this bread. Thanks for the great recipe. I can’t wait to try it.

7 Halli July 14, 2010 at 11:32 am

Kristen these look so yummy! Ever since I started reading your blog I have been doing a lot of baking and my family LOVES it! I will definantly be trying this.
Faith- thanks for the suggestion on using yogurt or applesauce instead of oil. I will be using that little trick too.

8 Kristin July 14, 2010 at 1:43 pm

I always read 2 blogs every day yours and http://www.annies-eats.com. Today you both have the same theme…..fresh blueberry baking recipe’s. Looks like I’m going to be baking with fresh blueberry’s this week:)

I’ve made your French Bread about 10 times now and it so yummy! Do you use a french bread pan? I am hearing rave reviews about the William Sonoma French Bread pan and I know you use their loaf pan so I was curious if you used it?

9 Sarah Smith July 14, 2010 at 2:07 pm

This looks delicious and EASY! I just need a couple of those loaf pans to get started. :)

10 Franci July 14, 2010 at 2:30 pm

hmmmm the yumness quotient on these looks pretty high. :-) Out of interest, where did you get your blueberries from in NJ?

11 Kristen July 15, 2010 at 7:24 am

Hee. I don’t know. My pastor’s wife drives up every year and brings back a trailer full of 20 pounds boxes.

12 hiptobeme July 14, 2010 at 5:29 pm

I made blueberry pancakes while we were camping, just sprinkled them on the pancake before I turned them. My husband tried to mix the berries into the batter, but it didn’t work as well as the sprinkling. The loaves look great.

13 Erin July 14, 2010 at 8:55 pm

I was reading your blog tonight while making dinner and quickly whipped up this recipe for desert.

Between Gail Vaz Oxlade’s blog and your’s more recently I know that we can live on one income now. It just takes lots of organizing, an open mind and realigning our priorities (no more disney for awhile:)

I love the word frugal now..it is so much more positive than “cheap”. I don’t know why I called myself cheap for so long…considering I only like good quality items and vacations…

14 Kristen July 15, 2010 at 7:24 am

Absolutely. I think frugal is a fabulous word…to me, it equals peace and freedom, and that’s happy stuff. :)

15 Tiffiny Felix July 15, 2010 at 2:53 am

Yum! I love blueberries :)
@Mandy’s comment, I’m so jealous about your 10 pounds of blueberries!! :)

16 HeatherS July 15, 2010 at 7:19 am

I have everything I need to try this but I don’t think my oats are quick cooking. Can I use the regular oats?

17 Kristen July 15, 2010 at 7:23 am

I think you could, though I’ve not tried it before. Quick oats are smaller in size, so I wonder if it would be good to run your oats through a few quick pulses in a food processor.

18 WilliamB July 15, 2010 at 9:30 am

I have found that regular flaked oats (20 min cooking time), 5 min oats, and 1 min oats are freely interchangable. But instant oats (that don’t need to be cooked, only hot water and stir) and Irish cut oats (which aren’t flaked) are bad substitutes.

19 Barb @ 1SentenceDiary July 23, 2010 at 9:28 am

I made this recipe last weekend with regular (non-quick-cooking) oats, and it was delicious. I brought it to a small pot-luck-style dinner with friends, and there wasn’t even one bite left. It was quite gratifying. (Someone else brought store-bought fancy cookies, and these were barely touched.)

I’m not sure why I love it so much when friends, family, and even perfect strangers eat my baked goods. I’m such a nerd! But that’s OK. I embrace my inner nerd!

20 Sharon @UnfinishedMom July 15, 2010 at 4:54 pm

Just a quick tip – if you’re using frozen blueberries, DO NOT let them thaw. Dredge them/coat them in flour before adding them to our baked good. This helps reduce the bluish-greenish-icky color batter factor.

21 Jill July 17, 2010 at 6:24 pm

I made this bread yesterday. I was wondering if you ever have a problem with the bread being undercooked in the middle but brown and almost dry along the edges? The part that was baked thoroughly was yummy but I had to throw out some mushy stuff in the middle. Any suggestions, Kristen?

22 Kristen July 17, 2010 at 7:21 pm

In the past I occasionally had a similar problem when I was using frozen berries, but I’ve never had a problem when using fresh berries. Were yours frozen?

Did you use a dark nonstick pan? If you did, try reducing the oven temp. to 325 and baking a little longer. That should keep the outside from getting dried out before the inside is cooked.

23 Jill July 18, 2010 at 4:02 pm

Kristen,

The blueberries were fresh and I used a Pyrex loaf pan that I normally use for bread. I seem to remember having this problem with a sweet bread I make at Christmas time and I had to kind of cover the edges with aluminum foil while I waited for the center of the loaf to bake. Do you think a non stick metal pan would work better?

24 Kristen July 18, 2010 at 5:06 pm

Ah, with a glass pan, I’d lower the temp to 325 as well…for some reason, glass tends to behave similarly to a dark finish and a lower temperature is required.

And do make sure to test the middle of your loaf with a toothpick before taking it out to ensure that the inside is done.

Another option is to make even smaller loaves (I have some small pans that my kids love!), as it’s easier to get the inside done without burning the outside.

25 Jill July 18, 2010 at 10:16 pm

Thanks for the advice!

26 Millicent July 18, 2010 at 6:33 pm

This bread turned out YUMMY! Despite the fact that, to use up blueberries I put in double and, halfway thru making the recipe, I discovered I did not have oatmeal (substituted corn meal). Despite these two deviations, the bread was dense and full of blueberries and held together nicely. HUGE hit with my family and was ready nearly instantly.

27 Kristin August 18, 2010 at 9:41 am

Made this last night, mine took way longer to bake but turned out great. My husband woke up this morning and said “Oh I’m so excited to eat blueberry bread for breakfast.” I think that means he likes it.

28 Katie January 9, 2011 at 5:28 pm

Finally got around to trying this, I have lots of frozen blueberries we picked this summer. Very yummy! Mine also took 55-60 minutes to bake, using frozen berries. Trying to do more with whole grains, blueberries amps up the antioxidants, yummy and healthy!

29 wanda March 17, 2011 at 8:48 am

Oh no….I finally made this recipe but I totally missed that it was for TWO loaf pans. When it said “Pour batter into greased 95 inch loaf pan.” that’s exactly what I did. It’s in the oven now. Think it will be done in TWO hours? Live and learn…..

30 wanda April 5, 2011 at 12:59 pm

It turned out okay in one pan …. took a looooong time to bake and it did rise up over the edge a little but fortunately my pans have a fairly wide rim around them. All is well that ends well.

31 Geraldine Lester February 28, 2012 at 12:29 am

Can dried berries be used?

Can dried blueberries be used in this recipe? Do you have a recipe fo dried blueberries? Thanks.

32 Kristen February 28, 2012 at 9:27 pm

I wouldn’t recommend using them in place of fresh or frozen. They have must less liquid in them and that would probably throw off the rest of the recipe.

33 Lilia June 28, 2012 at 5:08 pm

I’ll definitely need to try this with our farmers market blueberries!

I’m curious… do you have central air or maybe you just have a window AC near the kitchen because I COULD NOT imagine turning on my oven to bake during the summer.