Is homemade pizza cheaper than takeout pizza?

by Kristen on April 24, 2013 · 80 comments

in Cheaper than store-bought, Price Comparisons

IMG_7326

Can a homemade pizza beat the $5.55 pepperoni pizza from Little Caesar’s or the $7 frozen pizza?

I’ll tell you right now that I don’t know!

So, I’m going to bust out of my usual don’t-sweat-the-details-or-be-very-precise mode of operation and calculate this down to the last penny.

Ready?

Crust Ingredients

Here are the ingredients that I use to make the crust of my pizza.

IMG_7814

Flour

I generally buy my flour when it’s on sale, so a 5 pound bag costs around $4. That means each cup costs $0.20, and the four cups necessary for the pizza dough add up to $0.80. If you use a cheaper brand of flour, this could easily be as little as $0.40. But I really like my King Arthur bread flour for pizza dough, so I splurge.

Salt

The teaspoon and a half called for in the recipe costs a little less than $0.008. In other words, it’s negligible. We can just round it up to a penny to make things easy!

Water

I use plain old tap water, which is so cheap, it’s practically free. I’ll throw in a penny, but I kinda doubt it costs even that much.

Yeast

Because I buy mine in bulk, each “packet” (2 1/4 teaspoons) costs $0.03. If you don’t buy yours in bulk, though, your pizza dough is going to be WAY more expensive. Individual packets of yeast are craaazy expensive.

Olive Oil

I think this bottle costs around $3.50 (I can’t find my receipt!) which means that 2 tablespoons costs $0.21.

So, the cost for two pizza crusts is $1.06.

And that’s even with olive oil (not canola or corn) and expensive King Arthur flour.

Huh.

Henceforth, I will not even blink at the price of my King Arthur pizza flour, because $0.53 for a pizza crust is a screaming bargain.

Toppings

I’m just going to calculate this for cheese pizza because then you can simply add on the cost of the toppings to compare.

IMG_7815

Tomato Sauce

A jar of tomato sauce costs me $1.19, so the cup I need for the pizzas costs $0.40.

Mozzarella

An 8 ounce block of mozzarella is $1.79. I generally use the whole thing for two pizzas, so that’s coming in at $1.79.

So, the toppings for two cheese pizzas total $2.19.

Total Ingredient Cost

The total cost of ingredients for two cheese pizzas is $3.25, or $1.62 per pizza.

That’s pretty impressive. I thought it would add up to a lot more.

Electricity Cost

This is a little difficult to calculate, but when I figured the cost of a loaf of homemade bread, I found out than an hour of 350° baking at $0.12/kwh costs $0.24.

For this recipe, though, I have to heat the oven to 500° and it has to stay there for a good hour. I imagine this would cost maybe double what an hour of 350° baking costs, so I’m going to go with $0.50.

Total Homemade Pizza Cost

IMG_7324

<drumroll, please!>

$3.25 for ingredients and $0.50 for electricity comes to a total of $3.75 for two pizzas, or $1.87 per pizza.

So, that means I could add $3.68 worth of toppings to each of my pizzas before they’d reach the Little Caesar’s $5.55 level.

I know for sure that I don’t add $3.68 worth of pepperoni (A whole package only costs about $3.) or vegetables (Mushrooms and peppers are really cheap!), so it’s safe to say that my homemade pizzas are indeed cheaper than Little Caesar’s.

And they even beat the super cheap frozen pizzas (you know…the sort that have almost no cheese on them!) Plus, homemade pizzas produce less trash overall than frozen pizzas do.

Conclusions

Homemade pizza, even with the cost of electricity factored in, is ridiculously affordable.

However, it does take some time to make. Most of it is hands off time, though (oven heating, dough rising), so as long as you’re at home already, it won’t feel like it takes that long.

IMG_7322

If, however, you’re working outside the home and don’t have long to prepare dinner, the rising time and oven heating time could feel really inconvenient. So, frozen or takeout pizzas could look very appealing.

Also, if you’re choosing not between homemade and frozen pizza but between frozen/takeout pizza and eating out, then of course the frozen/takeout option is generally the more budget-friendly option.

If you’ve got the time, though, homemade pizza is the cheapest way to go.

___________________________________
Joshua’s 365 post: Winter’s gone!

1 Ma April 24, 2013 at 7:53 am

I did this cost breakdown myself (sort of) a while ago and was very pleased at the results. I make 4 pizzas every Friday night. That’s plenty for all of us and company, too.

BTW, I was sick last Friday and my hubby brought us some Little Caesar’s. My kids said my pizza was better….:) I’m sure yours is, too.

2 Melissa April 24, 2013 at 7:58 am

Not only is your homemade one cheaper, it’s likely much healthier (and tastier) without mystery ingredients.

3 Dede April 24, 2013 at 8:00 am

I make pizza when I need bread, I make 2 loaves of bread and one large pizza, using the same dough. Which makes it super fast and easy. I used to hate making homemade pizza, now we have it all the time, and I love it!

4 WilliamB April 24, 2013 at 8:06 am

My solution to homemade pizza when you’re not at home all day is this: make and bake the crust ahead of time, then freeze them. When I want pizza all I need to is make sauce and top the crust.

5 WB April 24, 2013 at 8:09 am

One solution for busy people is to make a lot of crust ahead of time to go in the freezer. I use a recipe that doesn’t require oil and you don’t have to let it rise, so it really takes no more than an hour of hands on work to make eight medium size thin crusts that can be easily frozen.

6 C McGregor April 24, 2013 at 8:32 am

Could you possibly post or send me the recipe? I’ve (shock horror) never actually made my own crust and as I work and find it hard to find the time after the kiddos come home hungry from school but being able to make it on a weekend and freeze and be ready to go – sign me up!!! I’m trying to minimize bought and take out and this would be perfect. Thank you in advance :)

7 Renee McD April 24, 2013 at 11:39 am

I would love the non rising dough recipe also. My email is bboop7 (at) yahoo (dot) com. Thanks.

8 Libby April 27, 2013 at 11:26 am

I work full time and make dough (Kristen’s recipe) and freeze one pizza’s worth in a plastic bag. All I need to do in the morning is pull the bag of frozen dough out and leave it on the counter. When I come home, it has thawed and risen and is ready to roll out and bake.

One note – leave enough space in the plastic bag to allow the dough to rise.

9 Krissy @ Just Take Two Bites April 24, 2013 at 8:11 am

We love homemade pizza. We have pizza night every Saturday night. To save time, I make several batches of dough in the bread machine and keep it in the freezer. Then I just lay it out before my son’s soccer games in the morning, and it’s ready when it’s time to make dinner. My family really loves it!

10 Jennifer April 24, 2013 at 8:14 am

I am so thrilled to read this! Thank you for taking the time to break it down. We make pizza at home with refrigerated Pillsbury dough, and really love it. We add whatever toppings we happen to have on hand (leftover bits of turkey bacon, mushrooms, etc.). I have never attempted homemade dough, though, but for that price, I think I shall!!!!

11 Linda M April 24, 2013 at 8:24 am

I am retired…so the convenience factor isn’t usually a problem for me…but do remember needing a break at times. Totally get that part. However, when it come to cost of homemade versus cost of “boughten” pizza….I would make mine even if it did cost more…providing I have the time. The quality and taste are just soooo much better. And then I know exactly what is in it….I can control the additives, etc. But, it is nice to know I am having something that tastes so much better and is still cheaper. But…that is usually typical for homemade versus purchased.

12 Stacy April 24, 2013 at 8:25 am

I love making my homemade pizza and, when you use natural/organic ingredients, the cost goes up slightly but not too much! I try to shop at Trader Joe’s for cheese and organic sauce and I use King Arthur flour as well. I buy mozzarella cheese for close to $5 for 16 oz. and a jar of organic sauce is around $3. I have found that I like to use crushed tomatoes or tomato sauce (in the can) on pizzas just as much as marinara and that will lower your cost considerably, even with organic canned tomato products. It is a great way to use up the leftover in the cans!

13 kris April 24, 2013 at 10:56 am

Or use up leftover spaghetti sauce! I put up some in the freezer last night that’ll be the perfect amount for pizzas and the kids don’t feel like ‘eww, leftovers again’ lol

14 Deb April 24, 2013 at 8:28 am

This made me smile. Yesterday I tried your recommendations for the KA bread flour and baking on a pre-heated stone. WIN!
We just moved and I’m adjusting to using a gas range/oven. I’m loving the more precise control for baking pizzas.
Thanks for this break-down – now I am even more motivated to keep making/baking our own.
Blessings!

15 Julie (Kid Deals Chicago) April 24, 2013 at 8:34 am

We have now had this pizza two weekends it a row and it has been a hit. It is amazing the difference with the bread flour. We like to make BBQ pizza using barbeque sauce instead of tomato sauce. We usually add spinach, onions and some meatless meatballs for topping and often I use at least half cheddar cheese mixed with the mozzarella.

16 Christie April 24, 2013 at 8:35 am

I LOVE that you even included the cost for electricity! That’s awesome! I’d like to see this cost breakdown with ice cream. *hint hint*

17 Battra92 April 24, 2013 at 9:52 am

I did it myself (though not published or anything) and homemade ice cream is comparable to Hagan Daas or Ben & Jerry’s but without the Corporate Hippie junk. Plus even the premium brands have pretty unnatural ingredients.

Cooks Illustrated has a fantastic coffee frozen yogurt recipe that I used homemade yogurt (from Kristen’s recipe, of course) and it was really good. That is probably cheaper than buying heavy cream.

18 Kristen April 24, 2013 at 9:56 am

The trouble with homemade ice cream is that heavy cream is pretty darn expensive. So, unless you’ve got a really cheap source of cream, homemade tends to be more expensive, although the upside is that it doesn’t have any gums or other odd ingredients.

19 WilliamB April 24, 2013 at 10:07 pm

I did a rough comparison of homemade vs. storebought. At my usual store it was about even. My usual is pretty cheap so I’m guessing homemade is a bit less for most people.

However, this is *heavily* ingredient-dependent. Vanilla ice cream is cheap to make. Chocolate-raspberry-walnut is not.

I don’t understand why one is supposed to use heavy cream + milk when, if you calculate the milkfat levels out, you end up with the much less expensive half-and-half. I’ve been using half-and-half for a few months now, no complaints yet.

20 Erika April 24, 2013 at 8:36 am

I’m having a major “duh” moment for myself! I’ve always felt that the biggest cost in making pizza is the shredded cheese on top. It definitely makes more sense to buy it in block form and shred it yourself!

Also, in a pinch the Betty Crocker pizza crust packets (in the tomato/pizza sauce aisle) are pretty tasty, and they only cost around $1 each. They also don’t require much rising time, so they are great for busy nights.

21 Jean April 24, 2013 at 9:31 am

To cut costs the pizza makers use less expensive, more fatty cheeses. So making it at home, you can buy better quality product and “still save.”

22 Shawna April 24, 2013 at 9:57 am

It’s much healthier in block form too! There’s nothing added to keep it from clumping.

23 Libby April 27, 2013 at 11:29 am

And you can shred the block cheese and freeze it!

24 Freya April 24, 2013 at 8:50 am

You can reduce the cost much more (and have even better pizza) by making your own tomato sauce rather than using jars.

I fry up some finely chopped onions in olive oil, add garlic and chilli flakes, add tinned chopped tomatoes (0.30 each in the UK), herbs (thyme, oregano, whatever) and a pinch of salt, and boil it all up for 30 mins or more until you get the thickness you want. If you want it super-smooth you can blitz it with a stick blender. Then you can batch it into freezer bags (or jars). I make loads and freeze it in portions, then just defrost them in a jug of warm water when I want to make pizza.

25 Krissy @ Just Take Two Bites April 24, 2013 at 11:28 am

I make a pizza sauce that requires no cooking at all and only requires a can of tomato paste and a few spices. It is so good and easy. And very frugal. It’s on my website if anyone would like it.

26 Ellie April 24, 2013 at 8:52 am

I love making homemade pizza! For busy working people, you can double the dough when you have time and freeze it. Then stick it in the fridge before work when you want pizza for dinner and it will thaw and rise in the fridge. Take it out about a half hour before you want to bake it so it can come to room temp.

27 Amy April 24, 2013 at 8:54 am

My crust making technique is still lacking, and sometimes I just don’t have time to do it. Jiffy makes a fairly good crust mix, and it only takes about 20 minutes. Still way cheaper than a store bought pizza, plus they taste better and we personalize our own pizzas (only way I can get mushrooms)!

28 Becky aka SimplyBurbs Mama April 24, 2013 at 9:10 am

We LOVE LOVE LOVE our homemade pesto spinach pizzas! I made it without cheese once, and it was so good, that the family requested it cheese-less from there on out … which made it even more frugal. Yum!!

29 Economies of Kale April 24, 2013 at 9:15 am

I agree with most of the other commenters that I would still make my own pizza even if it was a little more expensive because it’s so much healthier and doesn’t have any extra chemicals and preservatives.

I use buckwheat or chickpea flour to make my pizzas, which is more expensive, and I add a lot more veggies to my topping (but less cheese). Even so, I doubt the cost of my pizzas is more than $3, which makes it a cheap tasty dinner.

30 Lili@creativesavv April 24, 2013 at 9:27 am

We had “pepperoni” pizza last night, using scratch crust, from tomato paste homemade sauce, large bag mozza and cheddar cheese and an Italian hot link (bought on moarkdown), sliced thin for pepperoni. I just made 1 large, and figured the cost at around $3, including electricity.

Here in Washington, Little Caesars would also add almost 10% tax to that $5.55 price, whereas my homemade pizza is not taxed.

31 Battra92 April 24, 2013 at 9:43 am

I know moarkdown was obviously a typo but I’m reading it in a Coach Z voice. :)

32 Battra92 April 24, 2013 at 9:42 am

If you’re really bad at making dough, our local grocery store often has a bag of pizza dough from their stand mixer for around $1 when it’s on sale. My wife gets them from time to time but I do homemade dough at times too. Even with the bakery made dough,

If I could find a way to buy and store a 25lb bag of Sir Lancelot flour (KAF’s high gluten brand) I would. Bagels and pizza are so much better with it!

If you make pizza in the winter you have the added benefit of heating up your kitchen. This isn’t so much a benefit in summer. :-P

33 Kristen April 24, 2013 at 9:55 am

That’s why I grill pizza in the summer! Pizza bagels are also a good hot weather option since they don’t need a long baking time and the oven temp doesn’t have to be very high either.

34 Battra92 April 24, 2013 at 3:11 pm

Grilled pizza is on my to-do list for this summer. I foresee using a lot of propane this year. ;)

35 Libby April 27, 2013 at 11:32 am

You can freeze flour!

36 Nathan April 24, 2013 at 9:45 am

Better yet, make frozen pizzas! I have a bread recipe which substitutes flaxseed, oat bran, wheat germ, whole wheat/soy flour, and vital wheat gluten for the bread flour (I’m in the process of losing 140 lbs.. 43 down, 97 to go!) so while it is nowhere near as cost effective, it helps me meet my nutritional goals and from one batch I can make two loaves, a set of hamburger buns, and two pizza crusts.

When baking the crusts, place a pizza stone (I use my stovetop griddle) in the oven and set it to 450. Bake the crust for 8 minutes, allow it to cool and then add the toppings. Then wrap in plastic wrap and aluminum foil, and place a baking sheet on top, then a weight of some kind to flatten the pizza. After flattening for 15 minutes or so, remove the weight, place the pizza on the pan and move to the freezer. After 3 hours remove the pan.

To reheat your pizza, bake at 400 with the pizza stone for 15 minutes or so (depending on how well you like your pizza cooked).

37 Diane C April 25, 2013 at 10:03 pm

Can’t let that feat pass unremarked upon! Way to go on your weight loss!You’re almost halfway there, and the first half is the most difficult. Good luck to you in reaching your goal.

38 Shawna April 24, 2013 at 9:51 am

Even if you do work outside the home you can make your dough with a bread machine. All you do is set it on the dough setting and mine even has a delay. Just make sure you put your wet ingredients on bottom then cover with your flour and last, place your yeast on top so it’s not activated until the machine starts mixing. The bread machine mixes and then has a gentle heat that allows the rising time. Mine takes an hour and half for the dough setting.

39 Amanda April 24, 2013 at 9:52 am

We love our homemade pizza for all the reasons others have mentioned. But I’ll add one more–my husband does all the work. He says it is like meditation for him after a long week. Our son helps him, so I get a much deserved break to go for a bike ride, read a book, etc. and then settle in to a delicious dinner with my men.

40 ~Dorthey April 24, 2013 at 9:58 am

Yum !
Does your Homemade Pizza Crust have a CRUNCH to it ?

B’cuz I went to a Villa Italian Kitchen ( a little fast Food place ) & OMyGOSH ! They hay a Greek Stromboli that was Soooooo GOOD ! But what made it Good was the CRUNCH of the Dough ;)

It was Spinach & Tomatoes & Feta rolled into a crust then the Crust was cut ( holes ) like a Pastry ;)
I wanna make this but I HATE waste so I’ve been looking for a crust that’s got a Nice crunch but yet still soft

41 Rebecca April 24, 2013 at 5:30 pm

The key to that crunch is a smokin hot oven and pizza stone, hence the 500 degrees in Kristen’s recipe. Many good commercial pizza places have stone ovens that go over 1000 degrees and the pizzas cook for only a few minutes, that gives you the crunch. plus a high gluten flour, like bread flour helps, rather than regular bread dough.

42 Kristen April 24, 2013 at 7:12 pm

What Rebecca said! ;)

43 Rachel April 24, 2013 at 10:01 am

I’ve generally suspected that homemade was cheaper, but honestly I’d still do it even if it wasn’t because then I know exactly what’s in it. I also pre-cook the pepperoni if it’s a topping to get most of the grease out, so the finished pizza isn’t greasy and gross like some takeout.

What I’ve been wondering is if I could make the pizza ahead of time – roll out dough, add toppings – and freeze it at that point so that it can be comparable to a regular frozen pizza. Should I cook it first, or freeze it raw?

44 Nathan April 24, 2013 at 10:35 am

You want to par-bake the crust. Give it 5-8 minutes in the oven, let it cool, then add all of your toppings, wrap it, and freeze it.

45 Rachel April 24, 2013 at 10:38 am

Thanks!

46 Kari April 24, 2013 at 10:25 am

I am glad I read this bc I have been wondering the same thing about homemade vs store bought. I personally think homemade taste better, so it’s a double plus!!!!

47 Pamela @ Brooklyn Farm Girl April 24, 2013 at 10:30 am

I’ve thought the same thing everytime we make homemade pizza which we do often because we love pizza in this household. One thing we get costs down on is picking tomatoes in the garden and making our own fresh sauce, practically free and tastes so much better!

48 Wendy April 24, 2013 at 10:34 am

$1.79 for 8 ounces of mozzarella is a great deal. Cheese isn’t that cheap where I live (near Portland, OR), but even if I double your cheese price, which I think would be more than I pay, it’s a better deal than takeout. Time to clean the oven so I can heat it to 500* without smoking us out and trying your traditional crust recipe! (I usually do French bread pizza.)

49 Nathan April 24, 2013 at 10:38 am

I buy my shredded cheese at Gordon’s Food Service. Only $12 for a 5 lb bag, or about $1.20 for 8 oz.

50 Liz April 24, 2013 at 10:37 am

Another option if your short on time is buying fresh pizza dough from the deli at your grocery store. I know mine sells it for $2, which still makes it cheaper than little Caesars, and it has no crazy ingredients. Just roll it out, add toppings, and you’ve got almost completely homemade pizza :)

51 Maureen April 24, 2013 at 10:46 am

….and so much healthier too! I make my own pizza sauce, so you have peaked my interest to figure out the cost of that as well!!

52 kris April 24, 2013 at 10:54 am

My son work(ed) 2 jobs, one day job and an evening job at Pizza Hut. He’s decided to start back to school, so he gave up his Pizza Hut job. So now he will be home more and I’m going to get him to show me how roll the dough out JUST right. I never get the shape right and I always have thin, stretched out parts once it’s rolled out. Other than that, I love homemade pizzas.

53 Raevyn April 24, 2013 at 11:05 am

I don’t make homemade crust, but I use olive oil & rosemary flatbread. I get a package of 6 for $2, the alfredo sauce I like is about $3 and will make me about 15 of the small pizzas I like, the pepperoni runs $3, and the cheese another $3, and both of those last me about 5 pizzas. That’s $1.26/pizza, without the cooking, but that’s about 12 minutes in the oven, and at your calculation is about $.05.
Granted I’m a single girl, but this is a perfect amount of pizza for me, because, well, my favorite delivery pizza’s smallest size with the toppings I like is about $10, and I’ll eat every bite, even though it overstuffs me and is probably 3 times what I should eat. My homemade version satisfies my craving without overeating.

54 Sharon April 24, 2013 at 11:22 am

The other “hidden” cost to takeout, in our family at least, is the food waste. If I make homemade pizza, it all gets eaten & there’s no waste. With takeout or store-bought freezer pizza, my family doesn’t like it as much so the leftovers don’t get eaten.

55 Ted S. April 24, 2013 at 4:15 pm

Holy smokes! In our house, even bad pizza gets eaten! I admire the restraint of your family members.

56 Jenny L. April 24, 2013 at 11:55 am

I used to be able to buy the dough for $1/ball of dough at one of the local Italian restaurants. We took a pizza making class there and they taught you to toss your dough. The pizzas always turned out amazing! Unfortunately, they went out of business :-(

57 Barbara April 24, 2013 at 12:05 pm

I like to make up a double-batch once in a while, and prep cheese pizzas and stick the extra in the deep freezer. We can then add toppings right before cooking, but have the convenience of “frozen” pizza once in a while. We like to make pizza every other weekend, but sometimes due to timing it just doesn’t work out to have time to make the dough.

Also, Dei Fratelli makes amazing pizza sauce. I used to make my own, but when hubby is making pizza he wants it “easy”. So he bought Dei Fratelli one time since it was on sale cheaper than anything else, when normally it’s more expensive. I LOVE it better than my sauce, I seriously need to try to recreate it. It’s more expensive generally, but when it goes on sale we stock up now.

58 Sharon April 24, 2013 at 12:09 pm

Thanks for doing all of the legwork of how much homemade pizza costs. We don’t buy tomato sauce, we use our leftover homemade sauce from a spaghetti night, so it might be even less expensive for us. The only thing we add on our pizza is mushrooms.

Last week we picked up some pizzas, a large cheese and a medium mushroom. Total cost was $25.00. Ouch. That’s a huge difference. We’ll be making homemade this coming Friday night. :)!

59 SarahD April 24, 2013 at 1:01 pm

I really enjoyed this post, Kristen. :-) I always ASSUMED that homemade pizza was cheaper, but then when you raised the question at the beginning, it made me wonder and doubt. The breakdown with photos all the way to the end kept the suspense up. Homemade pizza rose triumphant!! :-) Loved it.

60 April April 24, 2013 at 1:13 pm

I see even bigger savings, as I buy flour in 50 lb bags. And, our frozen pizza at our only store are $9, and around $12 at our only pizza place. We make a lot of pizza at home, plus each person can make it how they want it.

61 Dana April 24, 2013 at 1:30 pm

I just wanted to add that you can make your own pizza sauce for way less than what your spending for jarred spaghetti sauce.

I was a die hard Ragu fan, grew up on it, bought it most of my early married life and then found a recipe to make it cheaper and my family actually prefers it now.

I use the .44 cent can of generic tomato paste, a little oil say a tablespoon, a couple cloves of minced garlic and some spices like oregano, basil, salt, sugar, and water and voila easy cheap sauce!!

I love cooking our fave take out foods at home, saves us money, both in food costs and driving, and my family thinks it tastes better too!!

Good job with the cost break down!! Thanks for sharing!!!

62 Rebecca April 24, 2013 at 1:42 pm

We buy our cheese at Sam’s club for about $12/5 lbs…I typically have a $2 off coupon with our membership since it’s something we always buy. I also use the large can of tomato paste and season it with some Italian herb mix and garlic powder. We almost always make supreme pizzas and I would say still come out at less than $1o for 4 fairly large pizzas or 8-10 french bread style ones. We are a family of 6 and the kids always have friends over, so pizza is a big deal at our house.

My husband will occasionally insist on buying pizza to give me a break, and they are never happy about that…Hubs, kids and friends prefer the homemade stuff.

63 Taylor-Made Ranch April 24, 2013 at 3:08 pm

We love homemade pizza as well, especially since we can customize it and typically we use lots of garden veggies on it along with any other toppings we desire. For half of the pizza I usually have jalapenos completely covering the top! Yep, I like ‘em spicy! Try finding a pizza like THAT at your local pizza joint! LOL

~Taylor-Made Ranch~
Wolfe City, Texas

64 Michelle April 24, 2013 at 4:21 pm

I was *insanely* curious about this when you brought it up earlier this week — thanks for the great post. I snickered to myself that your first picture caption should have been “Does homemade pizza save dough?” :)

65 Gena@BakeAllTheThings! April 24, 2013 at 4:42 pm

I’ve been waiting for this post and am thrilled with the results!
Also, just my two cents, but this kind of post is what I love most about your blog.

66 Eva April 24, 2013 at 5:22 pm

I made the crust recipe from a couple weeks ago, and my family loved it! Even if cost the same or more, it would be way worth it because hommade pizza is sooo much better! My husband even wants me to open a pizza resturaunt hahaha. He thought it was that good :)

67 Katy @ Purposely Frugal April 24, 2013 at 8:57 pm

I love this post! We bought a pizza just last night with $3 off and we got free bread sticks. Under $10 for a large pizza and bread sticks seemed like a good deal, until I read this! lol

On another note, if you don’t have much time to make your own, you can make your own frozen pizzas for the future:

68 kim April 24, 2013 at 9:47 pm

I’ve been making this thin crust pizza recipe for a while now: http://www.thekitchn.com/weekend-cooking-homemade-thinc-45499

It’s great and requires no rising time, so it’s ready to go in minutes. I can’t wait to try it with the King Arthur bread flour you recommended.

Our locally-owned Italian restaurant also sells dough balls for just a couple of bucks if I’m really in a hurry or out of a crust ingredient.

69 Samantha April 24, 2013 at 10:26 pm

Beautiful! My kids love that they can make their own pizzas at home which makes them taste better (per my five year old)

70 Canadian Budget Binder April 24, 2013 at 10:28 pm

We always make our own homemade pizza and I also figured out that with electricity it’s cheaper to make then buy. Same goes for my olive bread recipe as well, you can’t buy it for what I can make it for at home. Plus, homemade always tastes better.

71 Cricket @ Thrifty Texas Penny April 24, 2013 at 10:35 pm

I’d love to know how much your pair of homemade pizzas weighed in at. I wrote a post last summer (linked to my name above) comparing store bought to Little Caesar’s. Store bought pizza may be cheaper, but another may be bigger/heavier, thus filling you up more. I found that you’d have to find one heck of a pizza sale to beat the $5 hot and ready price at Little Caesar’s, even including the tax :-)

72 Amy April 25, 2013 at 1:44 am

Yep we’ve been making home made pizza for a couple of years now. I think mine would be even cheaper as the recipe I use calls for normal plain flour, and we use less flour and yeast because we like it very thin. Also just use Aldi tomato paste bought in the big jar and buy cheese in bulk to grate and freeze. I once worked that 2 pizzas which do a meal and lunch are around $3 for us. This would make it one of the most frugal meals for us.

73 Jo@simplybeingmum April 25, 2013 at 4:56 am

I did a pizza price comparisonin 2011. In fact I did a ‘cooking from scratch cost experiment’ for a week over at the blog and posted my conclusion over atex-consumer. My pizza was much more basic than yours, but still served the purpose – particularly with the kids. In the UK a medium tomato and cheese pizza delivered is about 10 my basic one came in at 76p per pizza. I’ve improved my recipe since, so it is more expensive, but I’d say maximum 1.50 which is a great saving on takeout!

74 Lisa April 25, 2013 at 11:34 am

I usually double my pizza recipe when I make, then slice up into pieces and flash freeze the leftovers. The crust does take time so why not make a little extra while you’re doing it?When we need a quick meal, we just throw a couple of slices into the toaster oven!

75 The Norwegian Girl April 25, 2013 at 12:14 pm

homemade pizza is cheaper, better-tasting and way much healthier!!

76 raven April 25, 2013 at 12:17 pm

Homemade pizza is the best. What I love about it is the fact that some fresh veggies can be added on top after the pizza is cooked. Which gives the pizza more flavor.

77 Michelle April 25, 2013 at 1:22 pm

Thank you for this post. I had just been wondering how the cost of making my own pizza compared to store bought or buying the dough from the bakery. I just made your dough recipe and the dough turned out great (I love King Arthur flour too!). I’ve been experimenting with lots of different recipes, but this one was easy and the dough turned out so nice. I also make pizza sauce with just plain tomato sauce and tomato paste seasoned with a little onion powder, garlic and olive oil. I freeze the sauce in the very small Ball jars, which is a perfect portion for one pizza. I also buy big blocks of cheese, shred it and then freeze in 8 oz portions. Keep up the good work… I love your blog!

78 janknitz April 25, 2013 at 2:57 pm

Don’t forget, for a fair comparison, you have to add the cost of baking to the commercial pizza, too!

Homemade wins hands down.

During the summer, I just slice fresh, juicy tomatoes and lay them all over the pizza instead of pizza sauce. I also like ranch dressing in place of the tomato sauce, then pile it high with veggies. Yum!

79 Lauren Phillips April 26, 2013 at 4:51 am

Hi! Your post was really intriguing and got me thinking about homemade food I make…I am off to price up how much it costs me to make my own crispy crumb fish fillets…
Thank you for the inspiration. I am following you with interest!
Frugal Student Nurse Xxx

80 Tammy May 20, 2013 at 10:17 pm

I know that this is an old entry but I just read it today. I knew that food in the US was much cheaper than in Canada but less than $1.80 for a block of cheese?? Crikey! I just bought an 8oz block of cheddar yesterday and it was $3.98 and that was at one of the budget friendly stores. If I had gone to Safeway like I normally do, it likely would have been at least a dollar more.

Even so, of course making my own pizza is still cheaper than delivery (I use whole wheat pitas rather than making dough). Pizza is ridiculously over-priced.