A current happy list

by Kristen on June 14, 2011 · 25 comments

in Thankfulness

As you regular readers know, I think contentment is a key part of living a frugal life, and part of being content is focusing on your blessings.

(In case you’re new, you might want to read my series of posts about contentment (you can click on the link or on the tomato picture to be taken to those posts).

Because I need to regularly practice focusing on my blessings, I thought I’d make a little list of the things I’m feeling thankful for right now.

I’m grateful for:

the rain we got on Sunday. It’s been so dry here for the last couple of weeks, and I was glad to see the rain.

a break from homeschooling. I’m so grateful for the privilege of teaching my kids at home, but I really, really like having some time off in the summer to get caught up on other things.

time to work on my ebook. See above. Writing an ebook while you’re trying to homeschool is sort of hard, I’ve discovered. I’m aiming to be done with this one by the end of June, and I think that might actually happen!

(a photo for the ebook ;) )

Mondays off with Mr. FG. We didn’t do anything fancy yesterday, which is fine with me…I just like spending time with him, even if we’re staining the pesky rails of our second-story deck.

the weather right now. After a week of August-like weather, we’re in the midst of a sweet reprieve…dry air, cool mornings, and refreshing breezes. I think this calls for a lunch at the pier today.

the multiple blooms on my hydrangea plant. Remember when it was just a stick?

a husband who loves me so much. Mr. FG makes me feel special and loved and I’m so glad to be his girl.

a lovely breakfast with my mom yesterday. I took her out for breakfast (a late Mother’s Day breakfast, since I was in Myrtle Beach with my sister on Mother’s Day!), and we were there from 8:00-12:00 (which maybe means we should do this more often…apparently we needed to catch up a bit!). I’m glad my mom wants to hang out with me, and I appreciate that my children are at an age where it’s not a problem for me to leave them for 4 hours.

You know what’s interesting? I just listed things as they came to mind with no particular agenda, and as it turns out, almost none of them cost money.

Apparently, I think the best things in life are free.

_______________________________

What are you feeling thankful for today?

_______________________________

Today’s 365 post: Scrabble with Mr. FG and Joshua

1 Heidi June 14, 2011 at 7:45 am

hmmm…..have you been spying on me?? =) The subject of contentment seems to be popping up a lot in my life this week. My pastor just started a sermon series on contentment this past Sunday!

I am especially thankful today for my husband (It’s our 3-yr anniversary today!) He is the most kind and gentle man, who knows me well and still treats me better than I deserve =)

2 WilliamB June 14, 2011 at 7:55 am

That’s a fantastic picture of rain! How did you do it?

3 Kristen June 14, 2011 at 8:33 am

Thanks! It was a torrential downpour when I took that photo, and I just thought I’d try to catch it with my camera.

I used my 50mm lens, an aperture of 4.5, a shutter speed of 1/400, and I auto-focused on the marigolds. And I just hand-held the camera since I’m way too impatient to haul out a tripod most of the time.

I let my camera pick the aperture and shutter speed (I was shooting in P mode) because I’m not practiced enough to know what settings are good for rain.

4 WilliamB June 14, 2011 at 7:39 pm

I understood about every other word of what you wrote – I am the opposite of a camera geek – so you tell me if my assessment is correct: you used a very good camera and let it make the decisions?

However it happened, that photo looks like an Impressionist painting. From me that’s normally faint praise (I don’t like Impressionism) but in a photo it looks excellent.

5 Kristen June 14, 2011 at 7:51 pm

Mostly…I manually chose the focal point, but the aperture and the shutter speed were up to the camera. With a tripod, I could have chosen a longer shutter speed, which would have captured more of the movement of the raindrops.

If I was more brilliant, I’d shoot in full manual mode all the time. But I’m just not that brilliant. Or motivated. Or something.

I do like that the photo manages to portray just how hard it was raining.

6 Karen@ Mom of Three Monkeys June 14, 2011 at 7:55 am

I really needed this today, Kristen! I have been feeling sorry for myself on several fronts and this is a useful reminder!

I am so thankful to have a job that allows me to be present for one of the most powerful moments in the life of a family. I love being a doula!

I am thankful for my kids’ teachers — end of the year conferences and celebrations really make me realize how far my kids have come!

I am thankful for my husband and that he is taking time to focus on his health and mental well-being.

7 Brooke June 14, 2011 at 8:06 am

This is so refreshing! Thank you for taking the time to point things like this out. I feel contentment in my life, too. I’m thankful to live in a country where we have freedom… I’m thankful for my family, my husband, and my children….I am thankful for God and HIS everlasting love…..
We had been having a few weeks of super-hot 90+ degree days here, too..so I am thankful for our cool mornings and 75 degree days!

8 EngineerMom June 14, 2011 at 8:51 am

A husband who always picks up the slack when I’m too tired or overwhelmed to take care of the basics.

Spending time with my mom (just wish it could be more often!), too.

A little boy who is quite happy entertaining himself by putting his Doggy (stuffed animal) through the bedtime routine over and over while I catch up on a few online things.

Sunny days that aren’t blazing hot! We’re finally getting some good weather here – in the 70s and not raining. Prior to this week, our choices seemed to be 95+ and sunny or in the 60s and 70s and drenching downpour.

Feeling this new little life moving around as her birthday approaches (rapidly – only about 4 weeks left!). Last summer, I was dealing with a miscarriage as June ended, so feeling her move is especially touching.

9 Shana June 14, 2011 at 9:06 am

My sweet and generous in laws, who recently blessed us with a week at the beach in North Carolina. Not only for that, but for their loving and thoughtful ways. I adore them.

Staying home with my 3 children (now 20, 17 and 13) for their whole lives. Some times have been a mighty struggle, but I am SO grateful that God gave me the opportunity, and allowed me to keep it going. Even though it’s been tough!

The best husband and man on the face of the planet. Period.

10 Sarah June 14, 2011 at 9:14 am

Just a few things I’m grateful for this morning –

Getting paid to sleep at work last night.

A cool morning so I could get in a good run before it got hot – my new work schedule is making running difficult.

An obligation free morning to get my house cleaned up and a few hours this afternoon to spend at the pool with my mom.

11 Elizabeth@ReadySetSimplify June 14, 2011 at 9:16 am

I also love speding time with my husband. It doesn’t matter so much what we are doing. I’m very thankful for all of his hard work to support our family. Especially this week, because it is such a stressful week for him.

I’m thankful for the ability to stay home with my kids. And the freedom that gives me to be able to say “yes” most of the time when a friend needs me to watch her child(ren).

I’m thankful for chai tea and lemon raspberry muffins.

12 adventuresindinner June 14, 2011 at 9:25 am

Ahh…this is just what I needed.

In my morning talk with the “Big Guy” I was going through my very long list of things to be thankful for and doing my daily reminder to not make it a time to ask for even more.

What a lovely reinforcement.

13 Brenda June 14, 2011 at 10:42 am

I just stumbled upon your blog and I love your attitude! I will checking in with you often. Thank you for your upbeat attitude.

Brenda in South Dakota

14 Tara@riceandbeanslife June 14, 2011 at 12:26 pm

Thinking about blessings-what a great way to start my day! Thank you!
I’m thankful to live in a place (for now) where I can see a bajillion stars at night and have the time to start learning the constellations. And I’m thankful for my morning coffee (sip sip!).

15 Sarah June 14, 2011 at 12:36 pm

I don’t take anything for granted anymore. Life is too short. I am thankful for the beautiful birds I hear singing in the trees during the day, the trees, green living, family, people, peace when we get it, love, your blog and oh so much more. Enjoy summer everyone.

16 Abby June 14, 2011 at 1:14 pm

Lovely post! And all the comments. I am thankful for my growing walk with Jesus, my healthy children, my parents, my inlaws, my sisters, my brother, all of the people in my life. I am grateful to have the ability to be of service to other people, I am grateful for this day(a day I’ve never seen before.) And I too, am thankful for my hardworking man who makes it so I am able to stay home with my boys, and has helped me get *this close to finishing my degree. I am also grateful I found your blog Kristin, it had changed the way we shop and eat and how I spend my time. THANK YOU!

17 Katy Wolk-Stanley June 14, 2011 at 1:18 pm

Today, I am grateful for:

- My high school son who stepped it up to ace all his finals.
- Strawberry jam made from The Frugal Girl’s recipe.
- Indoor plumbing. (I love long hot showers and toilets that flush.)
- The financial cushion to be able to spring for enough ice cream sandwiches to treat the entire 6th & 7th grades at my son’s school.
- Warm wool socks to wear during Oregon’s “summer.”

And as much as I complain about Oregon’s rain, I love that I rarely have to water my outdoor plants.

Katy Wolk-Stanley
“Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without”

18 Jackie June 14, 2011 at 3:42 pm

I am grateful that it is finally sunny here! We’ve had the coldest June ever. I don’t think it’s gotten above 70 until today.

19 Jessie June 14, 2011 at 3:53 pm

I am thankful for my graceful, easygoing husband and my exuberantly happy 16 month old daughter.

I am thankful for the backyard where I can have a garden to grow healthy food and chickens to give our family eggs.

I am thankful for the opportunity to work from home so I can tend to all the living things around here (people, animals, and plants!) and so I’m not stuck in a gray box all day!

I am thankful for loving, helpful, and not at all intrusive extended family members that love us and love spending time with our daughter.

Thanks Kristen for making me think of what I’m thankful for – it was a bright spot in my day!

20 Stacey June 14, 2011 at 7:33 pm

<3 this!! Your posts about contentment are some of my favorites, I think. :)

21 carol fleisher June 14, 2011 at 9:51 pm

what a great idea for a blog post. I wrote about contentment too. I mention your blog on my post. It’s great!

22 Candice June 15, 2011 at 7:43 am

I have just recently found your blog and I love it! I read back through all your archives just to see how you got where you are today. You are such an inspiration to me as I struggle to find contentment in my life. Thank you!

23 Amber@neuronmommy.com June 17, 2011 at 7:34 am

You just put my week into perspective! I love when you do posts about contentment. I am usually pretty positive, but sometimes it is hard. We are having our 13th day of over 100 degree weather and I think it is takin its toll on me ;) But I am reminded of all of my blessings. Thanks! And please send some of that rain to Texas!

I LOVE hydrangeas! Do you grow them inside? Are they difficult to grow?

24 Kristen June 17, 2011 at 7:43 am

I have two outside right now. They like shade and not too much heat, so I wonder if you can grow them in Texas!

25 Amber@neuronmommy.com June 18, 2011 at 8:52 pm

I think I will just stick to buying at the store (which I rarely do). I don’t think they would make it in our Texas heat either!