What The Frugal Girl Reads: My favorite blogs

by Kristen on October 26, 2010 · 28 comments

in Blog Business

(this photo has absolutely nothing to do with blogs, but I thought this post was just way too boring without a photo!)

Quite a few of you have written me wondering what blogs I like to read, so I thought it would be fun to do a post about that, especially since I haven’t managed to put together a blogroll.

That’s remarkably similar to the way I haven’t managed to put together an FAQ page.

Hmm.

Anyways, here are some of the blogs I read regularly, in no particular order.

Enjoying the Small Things I love, love, love Kelle’s blog. She consistently and faithfully applies that whole “look for the good” thing we talked about in the contentment series and it is a delight to see. She’s been blogging for several years, but her blog readership exploded this past winter when her second daughter, Nella, was born. Finding out that Nella has Down Syndrome shook Kelle to the core, and the beautiful birth story post she wrote went viral around the blogosphere and is actually the way that I discovered her blog.

Ooh, and Kelle takes lovely pictures, which makes her blog super-duper appealing to me.

NieNie Dialogues I’m sure most of you know about NieNie, but for those who don’t, it’s written by a woman who is recovering from a near-fatal plane accident that burned most of her body. I’ve been impressed by the way she manages to carry on in the face of such adversity, and reading her blog reminds me that my hardest days really aren’t so hard (there’s that looking at those with less thing in practice!).

GirlTalk This blog is written by a family of Christian women (the family of C.J. Mahaney, the founder of Sovereign Grace Ministries, a group that has been an enormous blessing to our family), and is one of the first blogs I ever read. It’s practical and pithy (which is good because I don’t like to read super long blog posts!), and the picture nut in me enjoys the daily photos by Janelle.

(are we seeing a theme here? I love blogs with beautiful pictures!)

The NonConsumerAdvocate Katy’s blog is also one of the first I ever read, and though I first thought she wasn’t very friendly (I don’t think I’ve ever told Katy that!), I now count Katy as one of my best blogging friends and she’s the only blogging friend I’ve talked with on the phone. We often joke that we must be long-lost twins because our brains function so similarly when it comes to frugality and environmentalism. If you like my blog, you will probably like Katy’s!

Get Rich Slowly J.D.’s blog is my favorite personal finance blog, and if you read PF blogs at all, you’ve probably heard of it. What I appreciate most about J.D. is his humility. There are other large personal finance blogs, yes, but none of them have the humble tone that J.D.’s has. I always feel like he’s in the trenches with us, not up on the hill shouting down orders.

Wasted Food I already told you all about Jonathan and his blog in my review of his book. If you want a more in-depth look at food waste than I provide, his blog is the one for you.

SouleMama Amanda is really, really different from me, but I enjoy peeking into her life through her blog. She’s way more crafty than me (I will never sew as much as she does!), but we share a love for the simple joys of home and especially of the kitchen. She posts lots of pictures and I like how unpolished and real they are (no one has fake-looking eyes or glowing skin, and the grass in her photos never looks like easter grass!).

Nesting Place There are eleventy billion decorating blogs out there, but Nesting Place is the only one I really follow. I like her “It doesn’t have to be perfect to be beautiful” motto…her attitude makes her blog inspiring, not discouraging.

OwlHaven Mary is a homeschooling mom who has ten (yes, TEN!) children, six of whom are adopted (if you’re the sort of person who thinks that I’m insane for having 4 kids, this is probably not the blog for you!). I’m totally impressed that Mary manages her household as well as she does and especially impressed that she’s managed to write several books on top of that seeing as I still haven’t managed to write even an e-book.

MoneySavingMom If there are eleventy billion decorating blogs, there are probably 500 billion couponing/deal blogs out there (sometimes I wonder how many the blogosphere can possibly support!), but MoneySavingMom is the only one I follow. Hers is neat and uncluttered and in between the deal posts, there are posts with more meaty content.

There are other blogs I read too, but I think I’ll stop there only because I find long blog-lists to be overwhelming when I read them, and I don’t want to overwhelm you guys. So, maybe a few months down the road, I’ll do another one of these posts highlighting some of the smaller blogs I read.

So, what about you? Do you read some of the same blogs I read? Do you think I’m missing out on an awesome blog? Enlighten me!

Today’s 365 post: Miss Difficult-to-Photograph

1 PaulJohn October 26, 2010 at 7:33 am

My memory is a bit foggy, but I actually believe I found your blog through Get Rich Slowly. Wish I could recall the circumstances (and this is why I’m a horrible blogger!)

2 Kristen October 26, 2010 at 11:51 am

My blog was linked to in one of their articles…my Unriveting Story post was the link.

3 Amy October 26, 2010 at 7:48 am

I found wasted food through you via twitter, so thanks! I love it! I’ll definitely have to check out some of the others you listed. The homeschooling 10 kids one will definitely help me feel less overwhelmed with homeschooling…

4 Melissa October 26, 2010 at 10:09 am

Thanks so much for the list. I will have to check these out because the only blog that I read on your list is Money Saving Mom. Some of mine that I check daily are http://www.lifeasmom.com, http://www.couponingtodisney.com (love her ways to save for luxuries like vacation that you didn’t think you could afford!), http://www.5dollardinners.com and http://www.icanteachmychild.com

5 Tina (Tightwad Mom) October 26, 2010 at 10:10 am

I am relatively new to reading blogs (and writing one),but it has been fun to see different subjects through other people’s “eyes”. I mainly stick to reading cooking and frugality blogs, right now. Thank you for the list of your favorites, I’ll go visit them soon. Your blog is one of my favorites, I have gotten some great ideas from you. Thank you!

6 Kelly October 26, 2010 at 10:16 am

I was so hoping you’d do a post of your favorite blogs! I can’t wait to check them out. I follow several decorating blogs – Young House Love, Thrifty Decor Chick, and Centsational Girl are my favorites. I also follow some random blogs, but I’m looking for more frugal/personal finance blogs. I think I’ll find some good ones from your list!

7 Katy Wolk-Stanley October 26, 2010 at 10:58 am

Kristen,

Okay, I have to ask, why did I seem not friendly? Did I accidentally use a frowny face emoticon? :-(

Katy Wolk-Stanley ;-)
“Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without”

8 Kristen October 26, 2010 at 11:50 am

I think you used to not respond to reader comments as much as you do now, or something. lol

9 Lisa October 26, 2010 at 11:21 am

Liberal Simplicity- http://catelinden.com/ is a fun blog that you might enjoy.

10 Kristen October 26, 2010 at 11:50 am

Oh yes! I read Cate…I’m just not subscribed and so I forgot to include her.

I will definitely have to do another one of these posts.

11 julie October 26, 2010 at 1:43 pm

ohmygoodness – sitting here crying after reading the birth story link you posted. gonna have to start reading her blog!

12 Cheryl October 26, 2010 at 1:54 pm

I follow Kelle’s blog too. It’s one of my favorites!

13 erin October 26, 2010 at 3:17 pm

I love your blog Kristen, its been so helpful to our family. Its probably the only one that I follow where frugality is the main subject. Here are two that I think you might like. :-)
Small Things (gsheller.com) – A mom of 5 soon to be six. One of their children is from Liberia. She’s inspired me in the homeschooling realm & if we decide to homeschool, I would follow a lot of her curriculum/style. She also has awesome photography.
Little Fists (littlefistsworld.blogspot.com) – a kindergarden teacher. She does a weekly menu & currently every week she posts a simple supper. My husband loves everything that I’ve made from her blog. Nothing is too difficult or takes too much time to prepare, because she cooks after she’s had a full day of school teaching. Its all pretty healthy too.

14 Kristen October 27, 2010 at 6:08 am

I just subbed to the Small Things blog…love it!

15 Ness October 26, 2010 at 3:24 pm

What about Short Stop? You both seem to have a lot in common (homeschooling, photography).

16 Kristen October 27, 2010 at 6:07 am

I checked that one out and I do like it! Subscribing now. :)

17 Sarah Smith October 26, 2010 at 3:38 pm

Thanks for the recommendations! I am obsessed with personal finance blogs and am already loving Get Rich Slowly. I also enjoy home decor blogs, but most of the ones I read feature homes that are styled within an inch of reality, not quite feasible for most, so Nesting Place is super great, thanks for the suggestion. One home blog I read quite often lately is YoungHouseLove.com – it’s great for anyone with a knack for DIY. Miss Mustard Seed is also great for DIY.

I subscribe to a lot of Tumblr blogs to find pretty photos, it’s a great repository!

18 Chelle W. October 26, 2010 at 7:07 pm

Thanks for the links Kristen! I am a new reader thanks to a post link to your CBN segment I found while following Jolyn over at Budgets are the New Black and so far I am really enjoying your site as well =)

19 Marianne October 26, 2010 at 8:33 pm

Oddly enough, I was reading a forum that posted about The Pioneer Woman who lost her dog Nell,The PW had a link to Cjane Enjoy It who was blogging about NieNie when the plane crash happened. I have read NieNie since then, it amazes me all she has been thru and how brave she is.

20 Erin October 26, 2010 at 9:34 pm

I read Gail Vaz Oxlade’s blog every morning. She is tough and it feels like she is right in your living room making sure you don’t go over budget, have a healthy emergency fund and has taught me so much regarding finances. It compliments your blog which teaches me simple ways to get to the financial place I want our family to be.
3 years ago we were over 30.000 in debt… and she was the catalyst who got us where we are now (debt free and lots of savings:)

21 Connie October 26, 2010 at 11:00 pm

I really, really think you would like this one. You gals kinda remind me of each other in a way.

22 Kristen October 27, 2010 at 6:07 am

Oh my goodness! HOW did I forget to mention that one?? Whenever I read Rachel’s posts, I’m always nodding my head in agreement. lol

23 Deb October 27, 2010 at 3:02 am

omg I clicked on The Nesting Place link and got sucked into THE best vortex! And her blog led to others, which led to others. Before I knew it, an hour had passed.

Maybe I need to set a timer when I do these things! :o)

Thanks for the blog links. I’ve loved Get Rich Slowly and Nonconsumer Advocate for quite some time.

24 Jennifer Lorenzetti October 27, 2010 at 8:39 am

I love your blog; it is one of my first visits every day!

If I may blow my horn, you are welcome to visit me over at my blog, Fast, Cheap, and Good (fastcheapandgood.blogspot.com). I talk about frugality, sustainability, and the little choices we can make that add up.

25 mrs shortcake October 28, 2010 at 1:24 pm

I was so excited to find your blog, and now you lead me to other great ones? Wonderful! Thank you!

26 Amanda Spaulding October 29, 2010 at 1:58 am

You have to check out “The Pioneer Woman” at http://www.thepioneerwoman.com
Ree Drummond is a hilarious rancher’s wife/homeschooling mother of 4. She tells her story through pictures and has lots of funny, poignant stories to tell. She’s full of life! I definitely recommend her blog.

27 polar f4 January 29, 2011 at 3:21 am

Hey! Just thought I’d chime in. I really enjoyed your post. Keep up the awesome effort.

28 Peter August 18, 2011 at 6:29 pm

I recommend Zenhabits.net and mnmlist.com. I’m curious to know your opinion of Leo’s websites considering I’m Catholic myself. Thanks for providing value to your readers Kristin.