Wednesday Baking | Pull-Apart Garlic Bread

IMG_5955-1

This is a recipe I got from Taste of Home back when I was a teenager. I made it for my parents and siblings then, and I now make it fairly often for my own family (not often enough, though, by their estimation!). It’s sort of like a savory version of Monkey Bread, and it’s received with nearly as much enthusiasm.

The original recipe calls for a pound of frozen bread dough, but of course, I don’t buy bread dough. Instead, I just use a pound of homemade bread dough. If you’re pressed for time, frozen bread dough is certainly a good option, but really, in the time it takes to thaw the store-bought dough, you could make your own and save some money.

I usually make a recipe of sandwich bread dough to use instead of the frozen bread dough. The recipe makes more than a pound of dough, so I use about half of it to make a garlic loaf, and half of it to make a plain loaf of bread.

To make a garlic loaf, follow the sandwich bread recipe exactly until it’s time to shape the dough (so, make the dough, knead it, let it rise, and stop there).

Take a pound of the bread dough, and divide it into small pieces. This isn’t an exact science, but I usually cut my dough into about 15-20 pieces. Roll each piece into a ball.

IMG_5942

Melt 1/4 cup of butter, and mix in parsley, garlic powder, and garlic salt. You can use oil or margarine, but of course I think butter tastes the best. ;)

IMG_5941

Dip each ball into the garlic butter mixture, and stagger balls in a bread pan. You can use either a 9×5 or a 4×6 pan. A 9×5 pan will yield a shorter loaf, and a loaf from a 4×6 pan will be taller.

IMG_5946

Cover the loaf with a wet tea towel, and let it rise in a warm place for about 45 minutes, or until the dough balls look soft and puffy, like so.

IMG_5949

Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 25-30 minutes, or until golden brown. Turn out onto a plate and serve warm.

IMG_5963-1

Pull-Apart Garlic Bread

1/4 cup butter, melted
1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
1 pound of bread dough, either frozen (which should be thawed first) or homemade

In a small bowl, combine the butter, parsley, garlic powder and garlic salt. Cut dough into 1-in. pieces (about 15-20). Roll into balls and dip into butter mixture. Layer in a 9×5 or 4×6 loaf pan. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.

Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.

_____________________________
You may also be interested in these posts:

Comments

1. Shaylin says

Not sure what it is, but when you post a recipe, I feel so much more inclined to try it! Maybe it’s the pictures! And that you make it sound so easy! Can’t wait to try this one…

2. Janknitz says

Looks DELICIOUS!

This would be so easy with Artisan Bread in Five master dough recipe that you can find many places on the internet. No kneading. Just mix up the dough and use it any time in the next two weeks.

YUM!

Thank you for giving me an excuse to buy some yeast! I’ve been telling myself not to buy it unless I’m baking bread, but this will be perfect with some chicken and veggies!

4. Franci says

You know, Kristen, if you’re ever really tight for cash, you could do baking and sell it – you’ll make a fortune!

5. Kristen says

@Franci I have thought about that before, but I’d have to sell a lot of loaves of bread to make very much money. I think I can make more per hour doing photography, playing the piano, and teaching piano.

Bread making would be a really fun way to earn money, though!

6. Emily says

I had sausage lasagna on the menu last night and wanted a little something else to go with it and the green salad we were going to have. Got on the computer and BAM. There was this wonderful recipe. I used my bread machine and made french bread dough to use. It was super yummy! Thanks!!

7. Shaylin says

I made it tonight too! It’s completely gone. And there were 3 adults and a toddler eating. Froze the other half of the dough to make it again in the near future! YUMMY!!! And I started my own recipe binder! I am finally getting organized and I love it. Thanks for being an so inspiring!

8. Allison says

This is rising in the pan as I type this and it already looks yummy. DH can’t eat garlic so I just added some extra parsley and oregano. I hope it turns out well! This is only my second time ever using yeast and making dough from scratch.

Making this one for dinner with lasagna tomorrow night. Your recipes haven’t failed me yet so I’m sure this will be another success…..and probably another blog post! Thanks so much for sharing your baking wisdom!

I made this to go with dinner tonight and it was fabulous. I think next time I’ll add a bit more garlic, but YUM!! We could barely contain ourselves and had to really concentrate to keep from eating the whole loaf at once (there are two of us). We’ll definitely be making it again!

11. Elle says

I really want to make this for tomorrow’s Thanksgiving dinner but I was wondering how many pounds of dough does your sandwich bread yield? I would love to know if I can half or even 1/4 the recipe so I can make just enough for the garlic bread since my husband really doesn’t like homemade bread (so picky!) :) Thanks so much!!

12. Kristen says

Elle, my bread recipe makes about 2.5 pounds of bread dough, or thereabouts. I’d go ahead and half it, and it should be fine.

13. Elle says

Hi Kristen,

Thanks so much for the GREAT recipe!! turned out perfect!! I ate 3 pieces before I even touched the slice of prime rib on my plate… although that turned out to be a bad idea after trying to stuff the prime rib down.. almost passed out from being so full~! My picky husband even commented on how fluffy the bread is. Thanks again for the great recipe! :)

Elle

14. Deb says

This is the new favorite recipe of my youngest son. I’ve made it twice in the last 2 weeks. :-)
    Thanks so much for sharing it and for all the other wonderful information and tips.
    Blessings on the journey!
    ~Deb

Tried this recipe this weekend – it was my first time of actually kneading bread. I followed your directions for the bread and the kneading. It turned out great! Thank you very much for providing both directions!!!

16. Mandy says

Thank you very much for posting this recipe! I made this yesterday and it was a huge instant hit. :) My dad commented how easy it is–you just pull off a piece and eat it, no slicing or buttering or anything else required.

I have been looking at this recipe since yesterday. I will give it a try today. I will be right back to let you know how was it.

So now I’ve made your cinnamon rolls, french bread and deep dish pizza, and now I’m definitely trying this. Seriously, I wasn’t a baker before I found your blog but you have such great directions and photos, it really makes everything quite easy (even though I’m one of those no-stand-mixer people).

19. Christie says

Awesome Recipe! Instead of using parsley for 1lb loaf I used fresh minced basil from my garden. I also used 2 other 1 lb loafs and added a tablespoon of italian seasoning instead of the parsley. And, I added a heaping spoon-ful of chopped garlic to both butter mixtures. Everyone loved loved the bread! They were all wondering why I had been holding out! This is a keeper for sure!

20. liz says

I am making spaghetti tonight and have one loaf of frozen bread dough left I am so happy I found this recipe! Thank God for the internet!

21. liz says

OK made this lastnight. It was great. I liked it even better today when the bread had dried out a little cause I love crunchy garlic bread.

22. Arlene says

Just made these for potluck at a friend’s house…huge hit! They loved it, and i was so proud of making them from scratch!!! Thank you!!!!

Trackbacks