A not-too-impressive food waste week

Every week, I post a picture of the food that has gone bad over the last seven days. Why do I do this? Because in March of 2008, I finally got fed up with the amount of food I was wasting, and I thought that showing my waste to other people would motivate me to use up my food instead of wasting it. Because this often embarrassing practice was so helpful for me, I invited other bloggers to join me in posting their food waste photos, and Food Waste Friday was born.

First, thank you so much for all of your kind comments on yesterday’s post. It’s nice to know we’re not alone (though I certainly wouldn’t wish lice on anyone else!)

This week’s food waste photo is from more than one week. Between lice this past week and Joshua’s room project the week before, my fridge has been sorely neglected.

August food waste photo

This kind of reminds me of my 2008 food waste photos. Except back then I threw at least this much out every week.

In happier news, I did freeze some grapes that were getting a little soft.

freezing soft grapes

And my cousin told me that taking grapes off the stem helps them last longer, so I’m giving that a try.

take grapes off the stem

Thus far, results have been inconclusive, because a bowl of destemmed grapes seems much more appealing to my kids, and they eat them really quickly this way.

I guess the net result is the same regardless…no more squishy grapes!

I also did manage to make up a little batch of tomato sauce to use up some tomatoes from my parents’ garden. Not enough to can or freeze, but enough to go on our pizza subs, with a little left over.

tomato sauce to use up tomatoes

(I used Cook’s Illustrated’s Marinara Sauce recipe.)

I haven’t really been to the grocery store for a proper shopping trip this week, and one upside of that is that my fridge is fairly empty at the moment. So things look a little more promising for my next food waste post.

________________________________________________

How did you do this week? If you blogged about your food waste, leave your link in the comments below. You’ll save money, reduce your trash output, and get a little publicity for your blog! And if you don’t blog, you can still share about your food waste by leaving a comment.

Those of you who participate in Food Waste Friday can now grab a fancy-schmancy button to perk up your posts. If you copy and paste the following code into your Food Waste Friday post, this little graphic will appear.

FoodWasteFriday

If you blog on WordPress, just make sure you’re in html mode when you copy and paste the code, or it won’t work properly.

Comments

1. Marianne says

We are on vacation this week so unfortunately a lot was thrown out. I did meal plan so that was a help, otherwise I am sure I would have thrown out more. Carrying groceries on vacation is such a hassle. There are not any grocery stores in the area we stayed at.

Thanks for the tip with the grapes! I’ll have to try that. Sadly, this week I had to throw away of whole jar of homemade refrigerator pickles. :-( Been quite pleased that my first attempts with cucumbers from our garden turned out so yummy, but opened a jar this week, took a bite, and it tasted like fizzy pickle soda! :-b Hope your next week is less stressful than your last!

I have a fridge full of stuff that I refuse to let go to waste, so today is leftover day. Between lunch, dinner and any snacking everything that may go bad in the next couple of days will already be gone.

I even managed to use up some close to expiring cream cheese in a decadent marble brownie recipe.

4. Stef says

I have a newer challenge, sometimes my hubby doesn’t arrive every night, do to work. I never know when he can’t make it home… So to this I blame (achem) our throwing away of 2 cups of veggie-rice, 1 cup of homemade stew, and 2 cups of chicken enchilada soup, and 2 cups of mashed potatoes! Why o why?! I should have frozen the mashed potatoes..and the enchilada soup (from a can) was not as savory as I had thought. Kids are also back in school besides our toddler…So I guess I need to cook less*…And freeze more…

5. Stef says

btw, never thought of freezing grapes…. Good idea and ye,s I remember my kids eating them more when they were off the vine!

6. WilliamB says

I would be surprised if grapes on the stem spoiled faster than grapes off the stem, because the stem hole punctures the skin, giving bacteria a happy place to live and raise a family.

OTOH, if destemmed grapes get eaten faster then you’ve achieved your goal of grapes in tummies instead of trash cans.

It’s interesting to know about taking grapes off from the stem to keep them fresh, same goes with bananas,to keep them fresh longer,separate them from the bunch and wrap the stems individually.I haven’t tried it yet but my friend said it works!

8. ~Dorthey says

Eating Frozen Grapes like Hard candy is a Nice Refreshing Treat & you don’t eat as many B’cuz your blood Sugar catches up B’cuz you are eating them slower ;)

9. elizabeth says

I seem to be a novice at buying packaged romaine lettuce( after 43
    years of marriage!!) This week I bought a package of 3
    smaller heads of romaine lettuce only to take it out of the bag and fnd
    that all 3 heads of the brand name bag had brown leaves on them. I
    managed to rescue some green leaves and use them up. However, on
    on the next shopping trip I will make sure to inspect the lettuce before
    I put it in a plastic bag!

10. WilliamB says

Lousy week here, too, without the good excuse.

* 1 lb mushrooms: didn’t like the new recipe.
    * 2 c. brown rice: waited too long to mix with beans and stuff to make some lunches. I could have made soup but the soup would have been subpar. I’d rather throw out inexpensive cooked rice than choke down unpleasant soup.
    * 1/4 watermelon.
    * Some other produce I don’t remember. I suppose I could go check the compost pile… Nah. It’s 9.15pm and I still need[1] to paint the hallway.

[1] Yes, “need” is the right word. The old paint isn’t sold so I need to try out the new paint, let it dry, see it in sunlight, etc. Before Sunday so I can waive off the friend helping me paint if necessary. (I don’t want to paint the whole place so color-matching is important.)

11. april says

I’ve found the best way to keep grapes is to (#1) take them off the stem and wash them, but the real trick (#2) is to then keep them dry by placing some paper towels in the bottom of the container they are stored in back in the fridge. This keeps them from getting moldy and/or soft for MUCH longer than going without.