About those grocery posts…

by Kristen on September 23, 2013 · 17 comments

in Ask The Readers

So, you guys left lots of great comments when I asked what frugal things you’re struggling with last week…I’m so glad I asked!

A very common theme was that you want help with food spending, so I’ll make sure to do some blogging about that.

Also, a lot of you said you missed the grocery/menu posts that I used to do.

(Which is sort of surprising to me, because when I did them every week, they didn’t seem to get a whole lot of traffic. Although that may be because I posted them on Saturdays.)

Anyway, I’d assumed that most of you weren’t interested, and plus, I was looking to simplify my blogging a bit, so I canned that feature about a year ago.

I don’t think I want to go back to doing them every single week, partially because that would be a lot of work for me (arranging your groceries for a photo when you get back from shopping is a little bit exhausting.), and partially because when you only blog three days a week, a weekly feature tends to not leave room for other blog posts (that’s why I do Q&A and Food Waste Friday posts only every other week now.)

So, I’m thinkin’ that maybe I’ll do a grocery/menu post once or twice a month. That way it won’t be a ton of work for me, and it won’t take over zee whole blog.

I’ve also made notes about the other topics you all wanted to hear more about (fun on a budget, mindful spending, gift giving, contentment, goal posts, and more!), and I’ll work on addressing those in the coming months.

I really appreciate so many of you taking the time to give feedback. I want my blog to serve you well, and so hearing what you need help with is, well, super helpful to me. Thank you!

1 Battra92 September 23, 2013 at 7:29 am

Hail King Arthur!

Does your Aldi carry KAF or did you have to get that elsewhere? Not that I need any (says the man with 80 lbs of flour sitting on his kitchen table.)

2 Kristen September 23, 2013 at 7:44 am

Oh, that would be so awesome if Aldi carried it but no…I have to go to a regular grocery store (or Target) for that.

3 Kim September 23, 2013 at 8:13 am

yay! I am so glad you will be doing the grocery\menu again. It really helps.

4 Kim C September 23, 2013 at 9:23 am

I miss the recipes/menu. I know you do the baking with Lisey, but we don’t do many sweets here so I have to admit that I don’t usually even read them after reading the titles. :( Sorry about that, but I do bake (all because of you) and I cook our meals, but not really any sweets unless it’s around the holidays. I still cook a lot of your recipes including many of the bread options. So, yep, that’s what I miss.

5 Liz @ Economies of Kale September 23, 2013 at 9:48 am

Great, I’ve been missing the grocery posts :) I just like looking at what other people buy to get some ideas.

6 Jackie September 23, 2013 at 9:52 am

Kristen,

Thanks for posting this again. I always loved to look at your picture of groceries. It’s nice to see what a your family eats. I wish we were getting an Adi’s. They were supposed to be coming to my area about a year ago. Not sure what happened. Oh I am glad that you purchase some convenience items like dry cereal. I work full time and do stock up on cereal. I always feel like I should be making everything from scratch. Obviously I have some time constraints and I know that homeschooling takes a lot of work. So nice to see.

7 april September 23, 2013 at 10:05 am

I agree about grocery & menu posts! I almost always took at least 1-2 dinner ideas from your menus, so I miss them!

8 Molly F.C. September 23, 2013 at 3:50 pm

Hooray! I’ve enjoyed your grocery posts, and agree that a few times per month is perfect. Regarding KA flour, I bought 25 lbs. of Sir Lancelot flour for a bee-you-tee-ful price of $9.75. It has been sitting at my kitchen table waiting to be stored!

9 BAttra92 September 23, 2013 at 10:18 pm

Wow, and I thought I did well getting 50 lbs for $25 (and I had to pick it up at their HQ in Norwich VT!)

10 SandyH September 23, 2013 at 4:32 pm

Yay! Happy to see this. Kristen your kids are too big to include the stuffed toys in the photos now! Time flies. (Sniff)

11 Kristen September 23, 2013 at 4:46 pm

Oh, I don’t think Sonia and Zoe are past that yet. And come to think of it, Joshua might still be up for hiding a spider in there, and he’s 14!

12 SandyH September 23, 2013 at 10:40 pm

Ha ha glad to hear that!

13 Mp September 23, 2013 at 4:34 pm

Once a month would be nice.

14 Susan September 23, 2013 at 5:38 pm

It would be interesting to have you do a blog about your groceries, menu planning and then follow up later regarding the related food waste. Did you use up everything that you purchased?

15 SheB September 23, 2013 at 9:14 pm

Yay I love these posts! I like to get a visual so I can make better choices when I grocery shop. Since I started reading your blog I’ve been cooking from scratch much more than before. I noticed in one post that you bought bananas that were different colors. I started doing that as well and I never thought to do that before and that has been helpful in cutting down on my family’s banana waste. And I also started going to more than one store.

I also liked that when we saw your menu plan you often have links to your cooking post so we can see exactly how to make the item. But I can see how taking the photo take a lot of effort. When I get home from the grocery store I try to unpack my bags as quickly as possible so I can rest.

16 Stef September 24, 2013 at 11:20 am

I forget, do you still post your weekly menus? I love your shopping trip ones, reminds me how healthy I should be eating and even frugaly!

17 Lisa September 25, 2013 at 7:24 am

The menus/food combo helped me too! Thanks for doing them again. :)