You guys. Tile grout paint = amazing.

So, a little while ago, The Non-Consumer Advocate pinned this post about painting tile grout. I’ve got some seriously funky grout in my house, even though the tile job is only a few years old, and I’ve tried cleaning it with various things like baking soda, vinegar, and spray cleaners, and nothing really got it looking too fabulous.

Anyway, I’d heard of grout paint before, but I thought you had to be super careful not to get it on the tile, and that scared me off from using it.

(I am waaay not precise enough for that.)

After reading the Live, Love, DIY post, though, I realized that this job requires about 93% less precision than I originally thought, and so Mr. FG ran out to Home Depot the next day to buy some grout paint.

IMG_0491

It’s made by the same company that made our grout, and it comes in all the colors that grout is available in. You don”t necessarily have to choose a color that matches, though, because the paint will totally cover over your original grout.

I was most excited to use it in the kids’ bathroom, which has white tile and nearly white grout. At least, the grout used to be white.

Ahem.

To use this, you just brush a small bit onto the grout lines with a toothbrush. The paint will soak into the grout but won’t soak into your tile.

IMG_9954

I found it worked best to let the paint dry a bit and then wipe off the excess. You can use a paper towel or a rag, and if you let it dry for too long, you can always scrape it off with your fingernail.

IMG_9953
IMG_0488

I am so very pleased at the difference. I never though I could get my grout to look this good, especially in this spot where my girls had spilled nail polish.

IMG_9948

Yay!

Here’s another shot where you can see the difference.

IMG_9956

The process is pretty time-consuming, but it can be done in little bits, here and there (unlike, say, kitchen cabinet painting.)

IMG_0485

This paint is supposed to seal the grout and make it easier to keep clean in the future, but since I’ve only just applied it in the last week, I can’t vouch for that yet.

I’ll try to remember to update in six months or so to let you know how it’s wearing. Thus far, though, I’m super impressed, and very hopeful that I can actually have nice-looking grout in my house.

Comments

1. Maddie says

Wow, that looks great. My tip for shower stall tiles is to use a good quality squeegee and then wipe down the tiles with a terrycloth rag/towel after EVERY shower. It may sound like a hassle but in the long run it make cleaning easy and grout looking good for a long time. I have few old tired looking wash cloths which I use for the wipe-down.

2. Denise says

I am so glad to know about this product! I have tile on my kitchen counters, and it looks dirty no matter how clean I try to keep it. I am definitely going to try GroutRenew ~ thanks!

3. Kim C says

You can’t imagine how happy this post makes me! We are closing on a house built in 1943 in about 3 weeks and it has a white tile bathroom. It is a foreclosure that has been empty for almost 5 years so it needs a serious cleaning. I wondered if it was going to be possible to actually get the grout to look clean no matter what we did. You have eased my mind so much! Now I know that after I clean it I CAN get it to actually look that way. Thank you, Thank You, THANK YOU! You totally rock! The timing couldn’t be better. :)

4. Liz G says

I couldn’t agree with you more about how awesome grout paint is! I was also wary of it because I had been told it could have a “painted” and sort of fake look. Not true! The best part is that it is non-porous, so when you clean it, it actually gets clean – unlike real grout that can still look dirty (at least mine did). I use the small brush that came with a haircolor root touch-up kit. It helps to get less on the tiles to wipe off.

5. Battra92 says

Tile in bathrooms was created by an idiot who never had to clean. Seriously, why create something that just begging for mold? We clean ours with good old H2O2 and that sort of works. We want to rip all the tile out, though.

We have/had ugly pink (salmon?) colored tiles in our kitchen. We painted over them with white enamel based paint until we can replace them. Now they are still annoying but tolerable.

• Jewlz says

Not all grout and tile is bad — we had in throughout our entire previous house and for the entire time we lived there (over 5years) it looked AMAZING. The problem is the old tiles and grout. The new tiles now come in porcelain which is super heavy duty and the grout can be sealed to where it no longer is absorbent so it always looks clean. But the old tiles were ceramic and broke easier and the grout was super porous. That’s why this product works — it fills in the old porous grout with new color and seals it off so it will continue to stay clean. The same happens with regular grout if you seal it and you seal it multiple times as the directions say. It may be time consuming in the beginning, but worth it in the end!

• SandyH says

That’s a great description” I’ve done battle” with my grout…because thats EXACTLY how I feel too…I’ve about had it with it to be honest. I thought replacing carpet with ceramic tile eight years ago was going to be such an easy care solution…ha! Maybe at first. But oh my word, the grout. I’m after it constantly. Now to do my entire kitchen is going to take awhile but guess what? I’m going for it.

• Candy says

Hate my grout. Idiots put it in and the grout in the kitchen is 1/2″ to 3/4 ich wide. I’ve been cleaning it on hands and knees for years. Trying this now! Hope it works until I canteplace the floor. We have broken tiles and can’t find any replacements!

6. Paul says

Hey there

I really enjoy reading your blog, and on your suggestion, went ahead and ordered some of this stuff for my own grungy tile. I have used products similar to this in the past, and have been pretty happy with the end result.

Like you, I have tried EVERYTHING under the sun to get my grout back to its original condition, but to no avail.

I’m a man who appreciates what you blog about, and Im proud to be a reader. Please keep up the great work, you’re blog is great.

Yay, I love this! You could *totally* guest post for my pretend “Inoffensive Decorator” blog, where I write about home decor projects that make a home look, well . . . less offensive!

:-)

Katy

Wow, I didn’t know there was such a thing! My bathroom grout chips out if I try to clean it, and I’ve never gotten it clean! The previous owners left pretty grody grout for us. ;) I think I’ll just give this a try!

9. Michelle says

Anyone know how this works if you have a fairly porous (i.e. natural stone) tile versus a porcelain tile?

10. jodi says

I just moved into an apartment last week and was looking for this type of product. Thanks for the review. I will pick some up is week.

11. Patti says

You may want to choose another color for your grout. My tile installer told me to do this and I have been very pleased as it makes the tile stand out and it keeps from looking gross. That said, I am wondering if this product comes in other colors? My tile floor in my bathroom has gray grout and my son’s tile floor in his bathroom is a reddish color (like a brick red). I have some stains and would love to cover them up!

12. Caity says

I absolutely love this. Kristen, it looks great! What a high return-on-investment type project. One question — does the product have a strong scent/smell while you are applying it?

13. Dorothy says

So glad I found this post! I can’t wait to try this to cover up the blue grout in the bathroom of a home we just bought. The pink/mauve tiles are another story, but I think it will help tremendously!

• Kristen says

It’s been about six months now and the highly trafficked areas don’t look quite as bright as they did originally. However, they are easier to clean than they were before, and they still look way better than they did before I painted them.

14. nicole says

Thanks so much for this idea! I did my kitchen but noticed it wipes off the grout some when I wash my floors. Have you had any issues? I didn’t pretreat or do anything to prepare my grout and I’m wondering if that’s why. Thanks for any insight

• Kristen says

Hmm, I’m not sure. But my lack of knowledge is likely due to the fact that I am a terrible, terrible slacker when it comes to floor washing. Which basically means I haven’t washed mine enough to know if it wears off!

15. Ana says

I have white tile exactly like yours and last year I used the same product on our grout throughout the whole house. I applied two coats and then an additional sealer (very easy too apply). Since the product was applied, I have only used vinegar to clean the floor but eventually the lines started to look dirty again, or perhaps the product was fading after one year. However, I bought a bathroom cleaner and used one of those green Brillo pads to clean the grout lines and I was amazed to discover that the product still looked as good as new. I am so happy with the Polyblend product, I totally recommend it!

16. Maureen says

Thanks for the post. I have an interesting project. I have an outdoor table that used to have a tile mosaic. The tiles peeled away, but the table is still in good condition.

The grout that is left behind has interesting texture because of the various sizes of the mosaic pieces. I’m thinking I paint it, then do some type of glaze treatment to fill in the holes and smooth out the surface.

Any ideas about the glaze treatment? I want the texture to be visible. It needs to be able to handle heat and rain…

Thanks!

• Kristen says

Oh man, I wish I had a good idea for you, but I’ve never done any projects quite like that before! Hopefully someone else will come along with a good tip.

• says

I painted my grout more than two years ago. I wish I hadn’t done it. I did all the tile on my main floor which starts at the foyer and extends into the powder room and into the kitchen. The worst part is in the kitchen in front of the sink, stove and fridge. The main traffic area and where it gets washed the most because it gets the dirtiest. The paint is chipping off there and looks terrible. I am hesitant about repainting that area because I am afraid the new paint wont match the old paint. Besides the chipping it is a pain to keep clean. You need to get down on your news and use a toothbrush to lift the dirt! I hope this helps someone else who is thinking about doing it.

I used grout paint 19 years ago to change the color, and it only has come off This year where there is heavy traffic, like in front of the sink. Never had a rug there. Great success.