Right now, I’m…

by Kristen on April 10, 2013 · 20 comments

in Right Now

IMG_6444

…a little tired. Which might be bad news for writing a Right Now post, because it could be a bit of a downer. We’ll see. Can my Pollyanna tendencies pull through???

Read on to find out!

(isn’t this exciting?)

…feeling slightly disorganized.

…in the middle of doing the seasonal clothing switch for my kids (which is part of the reason I’m feeling disorganized!)

…glad it appears that I won’t need to do a ton of shopping for girl clothes.

…thinking about where I might want to go to shop for Joshua’s clothes. I haven’t got much in the way of hand me downs for him, and his build is difficult to fit at a thrift store.

…happy that warm weather has finally arrived.

…sad that oak pollen will soon fill the air. Well, actually, I guess I’m more sad that Sonia’s allergic to it. Aside from that, I have nothing against oak pollen.

…pleased that I have all the necessary anti-allergy supplies here. I am ready!

…experiencing a touch of spring fever. I look forward to summer break as much as my kids do. ;)

…realizing that this was the scene less than three weeks ago. Things can change so much in a few weeks at this time of year.

IMG_7206

…thinking, as it seems I often do, that parenting is no job for sissies. It’s less physically demanding now than it used to be when our kids were younger, but now it’s definitely more mentally challenging.

…remembering that I need to hurry and use some of my Groupons. I’ve got one for a restaurant and one for some photo books that are due to expire sort of soon. I think the photo book one expires first, so I better get moving on that. I did at least get started on one of the photo books, so, um, points for me there?

…remembering that I also need to type up a money email for April. Considering we’re nearly a third of the way through the month (whaaaa??) I should really get on that.

…glad that my kitchen has been filled with a lot of science activities of late (this particular time we were studying the water cycle, and the bowl contraption here showed the basics of how rain works.)

IMG_7377

(The book we’re using is The Usborne Book of Science Activities, Vol. 3, which Sonia and Zoe really like.)

… pleased that I’ve got homemade yogurt in the fridge and whole wheat bread in the freezer. I hate it when I fall behind on either of those fronts, especially the yogurt front.

So, there you go. That was pretty perky for a tired person, right? Looking for the good does wonders, I say.

_____________________________

Joshua’s 365 post: Hanging without a Care (this is a cool photo, but if you totally lose it at the sight of a spider, you’ll want to skip it.)

1 The Norwegian Girl April 10, 2013 at 7:32 am

that reminds me, I need to remove my winter wardrobe to the storage space, to make room for SPRING clothes. Finally!! Though I`m allergic too, so that`s the only downside of spring.. hope you´re feeling more re-energized soon:-)

2 Economies of Kale April 10, 2013 at 7:40 am

With all of that going on, no wonder you’re tired :) Those science activities look fun – I remember doing some similar ones as a kid.

At the moment I am: loving a new recipe for beef cheeks mole that I made today, needing to bottle some homemade cider, preparing for an interview tomorrow and planning an outing to stock up on groceries at the Asian supermarket on the weekend (exciting!).

3 Karen D. April 10, 2013 at 8:32 am

I am curious as to what you use for allergy relief for Sonia. My youngest (5 years old) is allergic and ends up rubbing his eyes continuously, getting dark circles under his eyes. I hate the idea of using medication on him, but don’t want him to be miserable either. Here is Florida, the oak pollen has been high for a few weeks already. It doesn’t help that here in Winter Park our streets are lined with a Live Oak tree canopy. Ugh!

4 Kristen April 10, 2013 at 4:55 pm

Well, our ped has us use Zaditor drops for Sonia’s eyes. I give her drops as necessary, and since it’s only for a few weeks each spring, it doesn’t bother me. She’d scratch her eyeballs to death without the drops, her eyes get so itchy and red.

5 Molly F. C. April 10, 2013 at 9:18 am

If your son is a slim build you might try shopping Old Navy online. I’ve had some luck finding jeans & shorts for my slender daughter on that website. Don’t know what Kohl’s carries for older boys but there is a large selection for clothing on their online site.

6 Kate April 10, 2013 at 9:29 am

Do you have a friend who is handy with a sewing machine? Maybe you can find some items that are close to fitting for Josh and barter some tailoring for some of your homemade yogurt or fresh bread? I love to sew and I know I’d love to get an offer like that.

7 Kristen April 10, 2013 at 4:54 pm

Ohh, I’m an old pro at making clothes skinnier…I’ve had to do that a lot for my kiddos. But it helps if the clothes are at least sort of close to fitting to begin with, so I try to scout out things that are a slim size.

8 WilliamB April 10, 2013 at 9:50 am

… still thinking that it was worth it to possibly ruin a batch of bread dough, in order to spend most of Sunday outside. (I started a batch for a new recipe, then realized it was glorious day outside and so stuck the dough in fridge. I’m not sure the yeast will last till Thursday, which is the next chance I’ll have to finish the recipe.)

… not surprise at all that FG posted an upbeat post despite feeling tired. She’s an old pro at this, after all, and knows how to use the “delete” button, after all.

… reminded, by your comment about parenting not being for sissies because my grandmother used to say that about getting old.

9 Skirnir Hamilton April 10, 2013 at 7:36 pm

Bet the bread dough will be just fine. Let it heat to room temp and rise awhile before working, or it may be a bit dense.

10 Dawn F April 10, 2013 at 9:57 am

Right now, I’m…

… enjoying the lovely rain this morning (we don’t seem to get much rain here in San Antonio).

… excited about going to the district Science Fair my sweet boy on Friday.

… thinking I need to make our weekly grocery list.

… feeling energized after a morning work-out.

… stalling the start of my work day by reading FG. :)

Hope you and your readers have a lovely day!!

11 Lili@creativesavv April 10, 2013 at 9:59 am

Feeling tired does make finding the silver lining in a cloud more challenging, but I like challenges, and I’m sure that you do, too.

Right now, I’m planning my day, hoping to get a bit more clean up on the deck done, a load of wash taken care of, a pair of shoes fixed and some baking for this week’s desserts.

Right now, I’m also glad to have plenty of bread and yogurt, as well as a stocked fridge, freezer and pantry, and a garden that’s producing lots of spring greens.

And right now, I’m late, so gotta go!

12 Diane April 10, 2013 at 10:00 am

Yes…you will have a house full of teenagers before you know it and then you will really need your mental energy to keep one step ahead.

Can you take a Kristin Day once in awhile…just a day for yourself. When I taught school, I used to take a mental health day every so often when my children were in school just to stay home alone, go for a walk, out to lunch etc…just for me. It always made such a difference.

13 Live and Learn-Toss and Turn April 10, 2013 at 10:11 am

I appreciate your efforts to look for the positives. I try to do that to, but it’s oh so hard when I’m tired. Hope today is full of energy for you.

14 Michelle April 10, 2013 at 2:17 pm

As for great deals on clothes for kids, I wandered into the store Crazy8 (a sister brand of the more-expensive Gymboree) for the first time this past weekend and was amazed at the deals they had. I think they go up to size 14 Racks and racks of tops for $3.99, bottoms for $6.99 (with adjustable waists, a must for my lanky 7 year old). That is cheaper than Goodwill prices where I live! I was also impressed with their customer service – one shirt I had rang up as $6.99 and I had grabbed it from a rack marked $3.99. I asked about it, thinking the shirt had just migrated to the wrong rack and really was $6.99, and she honored the $3.99 price anyway.

15 Susan April 10, 2013 at 3:39 pm

My son, awaiting the middle-school growth spurt, is sort of between boys’ and mens’ right now… it’s really tricky to thrift pants/shorts for him at this size!
I just had him try on a bunch of waist sizes at Target, (none that worked) but found they have $8 cargo shorts (boys, Circo label up to XL) with an elastic waist… They are woven, so look a bit neater, even church-friendly, than the go-to knit shorts on the other side of the display. I’m thinking those shorts are going to save our summer! :) Not sure what size yours is, but elastic waists might help.

16 Skirnir Hamilton April 10, 2013 at 7:45 pm

I do like these right now I am posts… cause then I have to do my own and it makes me think abit.

I am enjoying the flavors in my mouth having just finished some fresh strawberry and pineapple with some strawberry yogurt and a small amount of raisin bran cereal, one of my favorite snacks.

I am wishing I could have had ice cream with a tad of chunky peanut butter in it, but didn’t have the calories. (I have to admit, I pouted some.)

Hoping it cools off a little bit, so I can go for my bike ride. Was in the 80s today.

Had a busy day grocery shopping, lunch and then helping unload the food pantry minivan for my local church. Lots of food to sort too, as they received a large donation from a local food drive. But we always have to check dates and put them on the shelf with what we already have.

Hoping that all my volunteering and do gooding helps. I want to help others, but my cynic, says it can’t be done. As we just moved to TN in November, and my husband has a well paying job, for now I am helping the local food pantry for about 5 hours a week and picking up trash/litter about 1 hour a week and other such things, in addition to cooking for the family, cleaning and trying to start a new blog.

Hoping that my mood has finally improved, as for some reason it has been down since shortly before the move, for multiple reasons, some known, some not.

Looking forward to and dreading summer at the same time. Looking forward to having an access to a swimming pool, as our condo association has a community pool, but dreading how hot TN is going to become. WI did not get that hot in the summer, which meant one could not go swimming outside in the summer much, but in TN, I wonder if much of my exercise is going to be either in the water, or on the treadmill, as it sounds like it gets really hot here.

17 Clare April 10, 2013 at 8:26 pm

Looking for the good does indeed do wonders :)

I have been doing our wardrobe swap over the last couple of weeks and wouldn’t you know it? After a few days of cold weather, we’re back to hot again! As a southern hemisphere girl, and after a 3 month drought, I am soooooo ready for some rain and Autumn temperatures :) (but not as much as the cows are, poor things! The grass is very brown!) Loving that picture of snow!

Currently I am – contemplating whether I should make soup or muffins first.
Thinking I need a drink of water, feeling slightly overwhelmed by the enormous pile of washing I have to fold, and noticing I only have 2.5 hrs until school pick up. I may just waste the afternoon blog-hopping (I have a cold after all!) or I may do something productive (like eat lunch :) )

18 Kelly - RealFoodinaRealWorld April 11, 2013 at 4:33 am

Right now I am typing up blog posts because we are having a 4am thunderstorm and I’m sneezing so sleep isn’t happening.
I admire your ability to seek out the positive in life. It’s something I’m always striving to do. Some days I’m a Debbie Downer, but more often I try to find the rainbows and sunshine even in the mundane. It reminds me of your posts on contentment. Contentment is a powerful thing.

19 Siebrie April 11, 2013 at 5:22 am

I’m a long time lurker! I also suffer from hayfever/pollen allergy, and what helps me is putting petroleum jelly (or any other greasy cream) around my eyes and nostrils. It will catch the pollen before they reach the sensitive areas.

20 Jennifer G April 11, 2013 at 11:24 am

Just a suggestion on Joshua clothes. Yard sales, but for a boy his age & build this might not be a possibility. Children’s Place, I know they seem expensive, but if you watch the sales & sign up for their emails you can get clothes very reasonably as they will send you 15-20% off coupons. Many time I have gotten clothes for my grands cheaper at CP than Wal-Mart or Target:-)