No-Stir Clumpalicious Granola

I am seriously so excited to share this recipe with you. Woohoo!

As you know, I make my own granola on a regular basis, because store-bought granola is ridiculously overpriced. And making granola at home is just not that hard.

My least favorite part of the process, though, is the stirring. Opening the oven frequently lets a lot of heat out, plus even with rimmed baking sheets, I still manage to spill some granola every time.

America’s Test Kitchen recently sent me a super early copy of a new DIY cookbook (The America’s Test Kitchen DIY Cookbook) they’re coming out with, and this granola recipe caught my eye because it promised perfect granola with no stirring.

Count me in!

Not only does this method save time, it also produces granola that is nothing but clumps, and if you’re like me, this will make your heart sing. The granola comes out as one big piece, so you can just break it into whatever size pieces you like.

This granola is perfectly crispy without being heavy. So good.

I didn’t plan this, but when I lined up all my ingredients, I realized almost everything is from Aldi (yep, even the maple syrup!)

In a large bowl, combine the maple syrup, brown sugar, vanilla, salt, and oil.

Next, stir in the oatmeal and chopped almonds. I love coconut in my granola, so I added in some unsweetened flaked coconut.

Now, press the granola mixture into a rimmed baking sheet. (I own and love the Lincoln Wear-Ever┬« Standard Duty Half-Size Sheet Pans.) You can use the back of a spatula to make sure it’s evenly pressed down.

Bake for 30-40 minutes.

I think next time I’ll bake it just a teensy bit less, but that’s a matter of personal preference.

Let the granola cool for about an hour. At this point it should have hardened, and you can break it up into clumps.

The original recipe says you can add 2 cups of dried fruit at this point, but since fresh fruit is still readily available at this time of year, I opted to skip that step. In the winter, I’ll probably add some raisins, craisins, or dried apricots.

Store your granola in an air-tight container.

You can eat this as a breakfast cereal with milk, of course, but it’s also really good sprinkled on top of yogurt.

As with most granolas, there’s some flexibility here. You don’t have to include coconut, you can use nuts other than almonds, and though I haven’t tried it yet, I’m quite sure you could use coconut oil instead of the vegetable oil.

Here’s an image for you pinners!

No-Stir Granola

Printable No-Stir Granola Recipe

1/3 cup maple syrup
1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
4 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup vegetable oil
3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
1 1/2 cups raw whole almonds, chopped
1/2 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
2 cups raisins or other dried fruit

Heat oven to 325┬░ F. Grease a rimmed half-sheet baking pan.

Whisk together the maple syrup, brown sugar, vanilla, salt, and oil. Stir in oats, almonds, and coconut.

Spread the oat mixture into the prepared baking sheet; press evenly to compact granola.

Bake for 30-40 minutes, or until granola is lightly browned, rotating baking sheet halfway through the baking time.

Remove from the oven and let cool thoroughly. When granola is cool, break into clusters and stir in dried fruit.

Store in an airtight container up to 1 month.

_____________

Joshua’s 365 post: Swirled and One of My Favorite Pastimes

Comments

Do you think you could somehow make a peanut butter version out of this? I once got this awesome peanut butter granola that came in clumps like yours, on deep discount at a discount grocery store and loved it, and I have been craving it ever since, but I don’t want to pay the full price for it! I got it for $1 a bag, turns out it sells for almost $4 a bag in the grocery stores. I could switch out the almonds for peanuts I guess that would be step one…not sure how to get the peanut butter in there.

• Liz says

PB would probably get added to the “wet” mixture, though you might need to adjust (dial down) something else to make room for it in the recipe. It might be a matter of reducing the maple syrup, vanilla, and brown sugar slightly. (Syrup because it’s wet, vanilla so it won’t compete with the PB flavor, and brown sugar because PB has some sugar in it already.) Good luck!

• Kristen says

Ooh, that does sound really super yummy. I agree with Liz about it being added to the wet mixture, but I’m not sure exactly how much you’d need to add. Have you poked around online to see if there are other peanut butter granola recipes? That could give you some idea of the proportions that work.

Let me know if you find a recipe, because I would totally make a batch. And if I find a recipe, I’ll be sure to share it here.

• Christina says

This is EXACTLY what I would do, and have done in other baking recipes! Works out perfectly, and I’m sure it will with this too. Add in some dried berries, and it’ll be like PB&J granola!

Quick question – What is your method for chopping the almonds (knife, food processor)? The reason I ask is because I’ve been making homemade granola for years as well but have been buying the pre-sliced super thin almonds. However it is pretty pricey in my opinion and turns me off from making it. I’m not crazy about huge chunks of nuts in anything so I never chopped them myself.

• Kristen says

I usually just chop them by hand because I don’t mind having chunks of nuts in my granola. Could you use a food processor to chop them finely?

Or is there maybe a place where you can buy sliced almonds in bulk? Aldi carries them intermittently, so if you have an Aldi near you, you could stock up on the almonds when they have them and then store them in the freezer.

• Kristen says

I’m not sure, since I’ve never used it. Splenda is supposed to be substituted cup for cup, though, right?

You could always just give it a try and find out. :)

• Sarah says

The only problem with Splenda that I see is that the sucralose doesn’t carmelize the way real sugar does. So, it might not clump as well. You still have the maple syrup in there, so that might hold things together ok.

Thanks for the recipe :) I make my own granola too, and it makes me smile every time I go past the bulk bin in the health store which has fancy granola for $29 a kilo. Mine costs about $5 a kilo at most.

I agree with Lili, this would make great bars for packed lunches. I might try it out.

4. Dawn says

I really like the sounds of not having to stir the granola while it’s baking. Taste-wise, do you prefer one recipe over the other (the old recipe vs. this new one)? Sometimes the ease of one recipe over the other might make a difference as to which recipe I might prefer, but I’m wondering whether you prefer to eat one more than the other! Or are they equally good that way.

5. Jen says

Hmmmm…I like the idea of clumping, but this recipe has more than twice as much sugar for 3 c. of oats as what we currently use. I bet that’s what sticks it together as the sugar melts.

6. Natalia says

Hi Kristen,

This my first comment. I have been enjoying your blog for a while. This recipe looks so good, I would love to fix it right now. I do not have maple syrup at home. Do you think I can use honey instead?

7. Kaitlin says

I was at a bookstore a few weeks ago, and picked up a cookbook from ATK and was looking at their granola recipe. I almost bought the cookbook just for that one recipe, but the rational side of my brain took over. I’m so glad you’ve shared this recipe! I love homemade granola, but hate waiting for hours for it to finish!

8. Michelle says

Omgoodness! This looks/sounds delicious! :)

I love my ‘clumps’ when it comes to granola. Thank-you so very much for sharing this recipe. :)

Wow, that looks so good! Ooooh, you could make little granola bars or make granola sandwiches with some sort of delicious center like peanut butter or something. :) I love Cook’s Illustrated…yum.

10. Wendy B says

LOVE the granola recipe. I sure will be trying this out!–thanks so much for sharing.
    By the way, what are your initial thoughts on the America’s Test Kitchen DIY Cookbook? I sure love my The Cook’s Illustrated Cookbook & America’s Test Kitchen Family Cookbook. I’m looking forward to looking through their new cookbooks!

I’ve never had “clumpy” granola, but it does look good & I love the idea of making granola bars with it. Maple syrup is SOOO expensive here I’ve never purchased it. I wonder how homemade maple syrup (brown sugar, water & mapline) would work.
    As for stiring granola I never do. I spread it thin on the baking sheet and put it in the oven at 170 degrees (the lowest my oven goes) It takes a while but when Its golden brown I just let it cool and put it in my storage container. no muss no fuss.

• Kristen says

Yeah, maple syrup is crazy expensive, but at Aldi, it’s not too bad. I’ve wondered if you could use honey instead of maple syrup..I’ll try it one time.

12. Nancy says

I made this today even though it has a lot more sweetner (and oil) than my regular recipe. However, my kids don’t really like that recipe, so I thought maybe they’d go for a sweeter one. I chopped the almonds up into a coarse meal so they wouldn’t be noticeable as almonds (for my picky eaters), same with the coconut. I added about 1/4 cup of flax meal, and used honey instead of the brown sugar. It turned out AWESOME. My son loved the big chunks and was just eating them like cookies. I think it tastes like graham crackers!

13. Michelle says

Made this yesterday, so yummy. Nice to have the pieces so you can eat it on its own or in yogurt!! Another great recipe find Kristen, you rock at that!

14. Lauren says

Thank you! I have been making granola in the crock pot (still has to be stirred but no spilling!) but this looks LOTS easier!

15. Elaine in Ark says

This sounds great, and easy, too!

Do you have any nutritional information on this? I’m “pre-diabetic” and need to watch sugars, carbs, & fats.

Thanks!

16. Elizabeth in CA says

I made granola this morning and it stuck something fierce! I used a generous amount of coconut oil too. I used half pepitas and half almonds plus coconut. It was so good and I worked off all the calories just getting it out of the pan. ;-)

• says

I finally got around to making this today. Didn’t have maple syrup, so I used honey. Maybe that was a mistake because I just about had to use a chisel to get it off the pan. It came out really greasy too- weird. I followed the recipe to the letter, except for the honey part. Maybe it’s me????

17. Stacy says

Yum! I made this today and it is so good. I’ve tried several granola recipes this year and this one is perfect in my opinion. It was crispy when it cooled and so easy to throw together.

18. Cindy says

Thanks for sharing this recipe. It’s similar to how I make mine. I don’t grease the sheet pan….I use parchment paper and it is so easy to flip out…no cleanup at all. I also buy sliced almonds and whole walnuts at Sam’s Club. The price is excellent and the large packages last several months (and I make granola once a week). Thanks again!

19. Rona says

Granola is a favorite of so many people and many of us, like myself have never made it before. In fact, before reading this article many people probably never thought much about making their own either. This easy recipe will surely keep many of your reader’s smiling. Thanks for the post.

I just made this yesterday and it is by far the best granola I’ve ever made! (and I’ve used quite a few different recipes) I also used regular syrup since I didn’t have any maple, and added some pumpkin seeds as well. I can’t stop eating it! 3 servings in less than 24 hours :)

• Kristen says

I’m guessing that honey could work, but you might want to use a little less, since honey seems sweeter to me than maple syrup.

21. Jasmine says

Thank you so much for posting this! I have made granola for many years, but could never get it very clumpy. My family loved this so much, thank you!!

22. Levi says

I love reading your blog and usually try your recommendations seeing as how they always turn out great! The same with this granola recipe. It is awesome! I used coconut oil instead of regular oil and I spread it thinly on a whole sheet baking pan. It came out thin and yummy and too good to stop eating! I made my first batch yesterday and it’s already gone. Making another batch now and that’s what prompted me to leave a comment. My kid’s love this stuff! I also left out the fruit as fresh fruit is so readily available. (Isn’t that what you said too? lol) Keep up the good work Kristen!

23. Emma says

I decided to try this recipe because my fiance takes granola bars in his lunch every day, and I thought I would just make bars instead of clumpy granola. Well, I just made this and my fiance loves it! I used chocolate chips and raisins instead of almonds and coconut flakes and I also snuck in some wheat germ and flax seeds. Thanks for posting.

24. Kim C says

Kristen,
    I just wanted you to know that the very day you posted this I went into my kitchen and made a batch. I never buy real Maple Syrup because I’m so cheap, um frugal. I used Aunt Jemina’s maple syrup which is imitation and I used pecans instead of almonds. The entire batch was gone that night! We were leaving on vacation two days later and the entire family requested that I make a huge batch to take with us. I made 3 batches to take with us and we ate all of it within 5 days. We’ve been home for a week now and all I’ve heard since we’ve been home is, “When are you making more granola?” So, here I tromp off to the kitchen to make a double batch. Thanks for sharing such a wonderful recipe. My daughter even suggested we make a batch and before popping it out of the pan to smear melted chocolate over the top. She thought that would take like the new ones that Nature Valley sells. I think I might try half a pan just as a test for possible Christmas gifts. I think it would be more of a candy that way, but I’m going to try it.
    Thanks again!

25. Markus says

I just made my third batch of this recipe. The favorite in the house is the one that I substitute 1/2 cup peanut butter added into the wet ingredients instead of the coconut. I have made granola many times before trying this recipe for the simple reason of finding a no stir granola recipe.
    I love this recipe and will continue to make this for a long time.

Thank you Kristen!

• Kristen says

I don’t-I’m sorry. But I’m sure you could find an online tool that will calculate it if you input the ingredients.

26. Hydra says

Mine is baking right now. Can’t wait to eat it. The raw version was yummy, so I’m sure the finished product will be even better. Thank you for sharing the recipe.

27. Mom of 4 says

This recipe looks almost identical to what I make each week, except I don’t use any brown sugar, just 2/3 cup of honey or maple syrup instead. I also throw in a cup of ground flax seed and 1/2 – 1 cup of wheat germ, and my kids don’t even notice it’s there! Mine doesn’t clump quite as firmly as your’s, but it’s pretty clumpy nonetheless, and very yummy. Wonderful next to your homemade yogurt recipe! Thanks for sharing!

Can I just say…I’ve made this MANY times now. I have it memorized. There is no way ON EARTH this would last up to 1 month! I have a hard time making it last up to 24 hours in my house!! Thank you SO MUCH. Enjoy, everyone!

29. Mary says

I really want to make this and normally we do put nuts in all of our granola but my youngest has just been diagnosed with a nut allergy(to include coconut). If I omit the almonds, do I need to add something in it’s place or can I do it without? I was thinking if i needed to add something that I would do sunflower seeds or even sesame.
    Thank you so much!

30. Ingrid says

I make our own granola but my husband loves the clumpy kind and I could never figure out how to make it like that. He will be so excited to see this on the counter!

This is so similar to my version. It caught my eye because I’ve never tried peaches; looks yum. I prep mine just the same and do not grease pan, but use silpat mat and make 2 pans at a time, which is 14 cups! I most often bake 15 minutes and leave over night w/o stirring and it makes big clumps as well. I like the addition of the whole almonds, that looks hearty. Here’s mine to check out:

32. Diane C says

Finally made this recipe! It looked so good that I immediately made another batch so I could bake both pans at once and not have to wash utensils twice. I confess I used Agave syrup instead of Maple syrup. I use Agave on my husband’s oatmeal every morning. Last time I was at Winco, I found a great deal on a GALLON of it. I was wondering what I was going to do with it all. I see a LOT of granola in our future… It’s still cooling, so I don’t know if the Agave will have any effect on the clumpiness. I do know that it smells so good I had to sit down at the computer to distract myself!

Side Note, particularly to KimN: I make dozens of batches of toffee for Christmas gifts. I used to buy the whole almonds at Costco. Chopping and toasting was the most tedious part of the process. I discovered that Winco sells chopped almonds for about 50-60 cents more per pound. Worth. Every. Extra. Penny. They are not toasted, but they do not have the “raw” taste of whole almonds, which lets me skip toasting them altogether. Hey, maybe those extra pennies are frugal after all. I still had some left over from last December, so I used them in today’s maiden batch of granola. Win-win!

33. Heidi says

This is in the oven right now, and it smells so good! Thank you for a fantastic recipe. Stirring granola is one reason why I don’t make it more often, so this recipe is much appreciated!

Thanks for this recipe! It is by far my favorite homemade granola I’ve tried. I used 1/4 cup honey instead of the brown sugar and butter and coconut oil in place of the vegetable oil. Thanks again!

35. Tiffany says

Totally yummy! Used honey in place of the maple syrup and reduced brown sugar by half, still very sweet! Oh…used the cocoa roast almonds, too! Delicious! As a previous poster mentioned I’m using this with chocolate on top as Christmas gifts! If the worst part is chopping nuts the recipe is easy!