Wednesday Baking | Yeast Roll Roundup

by Kristen on November 24, 2010 · 18 comments

in Wednesday Baking, Yeast Bread

Instead of posting a new baking recipe today, I thought a roundup of all my yeast rolls recipes would be helpful, especially for those of you who haven’t decided what variety you’ll be baking for tomorrow’s Thanksgiving meal.

(I include myself in that crowd!)

For those of you outside the U.S., my apologies. Just take notes for your next large family gathering! ;)

Basic Yeast Rolls-I think these are the ones I’m making tomorrow.

(note to self: Please remember to take a new picture to replace this blurry one from 2.5 years ago).
img_0811

Honey-Glazed Pan Rolls -These are the other contender for tomorrow’s baking. I think I like them a little better than Basic Rolls, but my hesitation is that the glaze on these is most delicious when the rolls are hot out of the oven. So, I’m loathe to transport them elsewhere. Decisions, decisions!

IMG_6748

Whole Wheat Rolls-If I had lots of time, I’d be very inclined to make a batch of Basic Rolls and a batch of these to mix up in the bread basket.

Potato Rolls-A ring of these is quite lovely to behold, so they might be a good choice if you have space to leave the ring intact when you serve the rolls.

Cornmeal Buns-I forgot I’d even posted this recipe until this morning! These look a lot like a traditional dinner roll, but they’ve definitely got a different texture and flavor.

Cheddar Twists-Granted, these aren’t exactly a traditional choice for a Thanksgiving meal, but if you don’t mind changing things up a bit, these are a delicious option.

Happy Baking!

I’ll be back tomorrow with my annual thankful list. :)

Today’s 365 post: When no one is particularly hungry at dinnertime

1 Tina (Tightwad Mom) November 24, 2010 at 11:59 am

Roll baking is my favorite part of the holiday’s. I love the smell of rolls baking in the oven. It is much better than the aroma of any scented candle I could light! Have a very Happy Thanksgiving tomorrow, and thank you for all your hard work creating and maintaining this wonderful blog!

2 Jo@simplybeingmum November 24, 2010 at 12:13 pm

Just added the honey glazed rolls to my Christmas baking list!

3 Barb @ 1SentenceDiary November 24, 2010 at 12:40 pm

For once, I am not baking rolls or bread this year, as one of my guests has requested to bring them. I am making turkey, for the very first time (wish me luck!). And lots of other side dishes, of course, too.

But my question today is: what do you eat for dinner today? All the planning and organizing for the holiday always leaves me low on dinner ideas for the day before. What are you all doing?

Happy Turkey Day!
–Barb

4 Tina (Tightwad Mom) November 24, 2010 at 4:13 pm

If you use a Reynold’s Turkey Bag it will come out perfect every time! Also, if you roast your turkey breast side down the juices from the meat will self baste the breast meat making it moist and tender. Good luck and Happy Thanksgiving!

5 Queen Lucia November 24, 2010 at 12:54 pm

I decided, inspired by you, to bake rolls for the first time this year, and will DEFINITELY be using one of your recipes. Thanks for the roundup!

6 Stacy November 24, 2010 at 3:06 pm

Thanksgiving was in October here in Canada, but I make some sort of yeast roll almost weekly anyways :) You have lots of great recipes, thanks for sharing them so often!

7 hiptobeme November 24, 2010 at 3:41 pm

OMG those cheddar twists were amazing the last time I made them!

8 Julie November 24, 2010 at 3:44 pm

I still don’t feel like I have successfully tackled yeast rolls, yet I LOVE them so. Thank you for all your yeast roll recipes in one place. Great idea.

9 Halli November 24, 2010 at 6:14 pm

Kristen, you must have been reading my mind! I am bringing the rolls tomorrow for Thanksgiving dinner and was just thinking I should get started on those. Thanks for grouping them together. I’m going to make the basic yeast rolls in a clover shape. Time to bake baby, bake! Have a blessed Thanksgiving.

10 Elizabeth November 24, 2010 at 8:31 pm

Kristen – my mouth waters everytime you post bread recipes but I’m at almost 7000 ft. and I’m not good enough to play with recipes to get them to work. Do you, or anyone else, have tips for me to make them at high altitude? I literally have to stick to the recipe to make it work and when I research how to adjust I can’t find anything very specific. Thanks!

11 Fudgie November 24, 2010 at 11:54 pm

Thanks I am gonna bake some for Turkey day. Have a great holiday.

12 nestra November 25, 2010 at 12:32 am

Yeast rolls it is! Thanks for the inspiration, and for the secret of the cloverleafs!

13 Linda A. November 27, 2010 at 12:48 am

I love, love, love your site. I check it everyday. I have to tell you that I have never seen such fantastic pictures of food. I look forward to the Wednesday posts especially even though I have never made anything from scratch. I live vicariously through your recipes and pictures of all the tempting breads and goodies you make. They are captured beautifully!

14 Ada November 28, 2010 at 6:00 pm

My rolls turned out wonderful for Thanksgiving! Thank you for the instructions and beautiful pictures.

15 Morgan the Hyperplanner February 16, 2011 at 10:52 pm

So I was looking for a recipe to review this week and I also wanted homemade rolls, so obviously I picked these!
Thanks so much for the great recipes!

16 E. Ryan November 7, 2011 at 7:37 pm

Hi Kristen! I just wanted to let you know I linked to this and a few other of your posts in my “Countdown to Thanksgiving” post today. It’s about baking and trying to decide what I want to bake for my family this Thanksgiving. :)

Thanks for living out loud and being an inspiration!

17 Elspeth @ paperarmour November 7, 2011 at 9:11 pm

Just to clarify, the above comment is from me. My computer (for some inexplicable reason) remembered me by my old email and maiden name. Whoops!

18 Jenifer November 21, 2012 at 12:17 pm

I am going to try your basic yeast rolls for Thanksgiving tomorrow.