Easy Frugal Cooking | Bacon Cheddar Quesadillas

Actually, these can be Bacon-Chicken-Cheddar Quesadillas if you prefer. That’s what’s pictured here.

IMG_7729-1

Quesadillas are endlessly customizable. As long as the filling ingredients include cheese (which melts and holds everything together), you can put almost anything into a quesadilla.

Another lovely thing about quesadillas is that they can be on the table fairly quickly, so they’re a good thing to have on your menu when you are short on time and are tempted to order a pizza or get takeout.

Bacon is perhaps not the most inexpensive meat out there, but it can be had on sale almost without fail, and this recipe doesn’t use that much of it. Plus, even if you make quesadillas with shrimp (which I do sometimes!), you will still end up spending less money making these than you would if you got takeout or ate fast food. Honestly, I can usually feed my family crab cakes for the price that we would pay to get fast food for the six of us. Restaurant/take-out food is so expensive that cooking at home will save you money over eating out almost every time, regardless of what you happen to be cooking.

So, learn how to make quesadillas…it could save you big bucks. ;)

Bacon Cheddar Quesadillas-makes 4

4 strips bacon
1 1/3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
4 flour tortillas
butter for cooking

Cook the bacon until crisp; break into bite-size pieces. Sprinkle cheese evenly over half of each tortilla. Sprinkle bacon over cheese.

Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add butter to coat the pan. Fold tortillas in half, and place two into the skillet. Cook for 2-4 minutes on each side, adding butter as needed, until both sides are lightly browned and cheese is melted. Repeat with remaining tortillas.

Cut into wedges and serve with sour cream or guacamole.

To make Bacon Cheddar Chicken Quesadillas, add several strips of cooked, sliced chicken to each tortilla along with the bacon and cheese.

_______________________
Here are a few more meal ideas to help you resist takeout temptation:
Chicken Tortilla Soup
Shrimp Quesadillas
Hibachi Chicken and Shrimp
Thin-Crust Pizza

Comments

1. Kathleen says

I make these all the time! In fact, I made a batch for lunch on Sunday and ended up tossing in some leftover Pepperoni I had gotten for pizza. I find Quesadilla’s are kind of like quiche, you can toss in just about anything and they still turn out great. When my sister brings her kids over they just scarf them down.

2. Erika says

Sometimes we make BBQ pulled pork quesadillas. You can either use your own homemade pulled pork or can buy those tubs of pre-made pulled pork. They’re yummy!

3. Kate says

You can also used refried beans as a hold-everything-together ingredient. I mix refried beans and whatever veggies I have on hand (often corn, onions, and peppers) and put that in my quesadillas. You can add cheese if you want to but the refried beans get all melty and creamy too.

Funny, I just whipped up a batch of Need to Use it Bacon-Leftover Baked Potato-Shredded Drying Out Cheddar-quesadillas for lunch yesterday. Thought I was being so use-it-uppish and frugal then I come over here and see you just did the same thing :).

LOOOOVE this recipe. It’s so quick, we’ve been doing it for years. And I love the crispy outside you get by using the skillet rather than the microwave! We usually use olive oil instead of butter, and bacon bits instead of bacon ( I know I know, not as frugal!)

We had these tonight, using up leftover bacon, chicken I cooked ahead of time for a recipe I’m making tomorrow, and some avocados that were about to be too soft/brown to use. DELICIOUS. My husband and I thought the guacamole really pushed it over the top, so very good. Thanks for the recipe! And I used my cast iron pan and cooking spray, and that worked great.

Yum. I love quesadillas! My take: instead of using butter in a skillet, I use a griddle and brush the tortilla with oil (olive or canola is healthiest), fill half and then fold over; flip as needed until brown on both sides and cheese is melted.

8. Lauren B says

I make my quesadillas with sautéed onions and black beans (& cheese of course!) I like to top it with sour cream and salsa… Quick, healthy-ish, filling and vegetarian-friendly :)