Wednesday Baking-Grilled Pizza

by Kristen on July 1, 2009 · 17 comments

in Pizza, Wednesday Baking

IMG_3945

This is another recipe that isn’t exactly a baking recipe (maybe I should call this feature Wednesday Un-Baking for the summer!), which makes it perfect for summertime cooking. Most pizzas require such a hot oven temperature that I hate to make them in the summertime, but this recipe keeps the super-hot temperatures outside.

What follows is a combination of a Cuisine recipe and a Cook’s Illustrated recipe, although I did a few things differently than both recipes. The end result is a pizza that’s somewhat akin to a thin-crust pizza, although the crust is a bit thicker.

For a more printer friendly version with fewer pictures, go here.

Grilled Pizza

Dough

2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 cup water, room temperature
2 cups all purpose flour, plus more for work surface
2 teaspoons sugar
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon instant yeast

Topping

1 1/2 pounds medium plum tomatoes (5 to 6), cored, seeded, and cut into 1/2-inch dice
3/4 teaspoon table salt
6 ounces mozzarella cheese , shredded (about 2 cups)
1 1/2 ounces Parmesan cheese , finely grated (about 3/4 cup)
1 recipe Spicy Garlic Oil(see bottom of this post for the recipe) or a thick tomato sauce
1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
You can top your pizza with other things too…bacon, mushrooms, chopped cooked sausage, and so on.

(For food processor directions, see the very bottom of the recipe.)
For the dough, mix the water and oil together. Combine 1 1/2 cups of flour plus the rest of the dry ingredients in mixer bowl.

IMG_3928

Add water/oil mixture and mix on low speed until combined. Beat on high speed for 3 minutes, at which point it should look like this:

IMG_3930

Add more flour, a few tablespoons at a time until the dough is thick enough to be easily kneaded. Turn it out onto a floured surface…

IMG_3931

and knead for 3-5 minutes.

IMG_3932

Cover with a wet towel and let rise for 1 hour.

While the dough is rising, mix the tomatoes and salt together in a bowl; after about a half hour there should be a decent amount of liquid in the bowl, which you should drain off.

IMG_3933

Mix cheeses together and make garlic oil(if you’re using tomato sauce, you don’t need to make the garlic oil).

Punch the dough down, turn it out onto a floured surface, and divide into four pieces. Form each piece into a ball, placed on floured counter and press with hand to flatten.

IMG_3937

Let the balls rest for 10-15 minutes. This will relax the dough and make it easier to roll out. While the dough is resting, turn the grill on high heat.

After the dough has rested, roll each ball out into an 8-9 inch round that is about 1/8 inch thick.

IMG_3938

Scrape the now-heated grill clean. Put a round of dough onto a pizza peel(or alternatively, you can use a floured rimless cookie sheet), and slide it onto the grill. If your grill is large enough and you feel so inclined, you can cook two at a time.

IMG_3940

Cook the dough for about three minutes, checking the bottom to make sure it’s not scorching. When the bottom is nicely brown, remove it to a cookie sheet or baking peel. With the cooked side up, brush with garlic oil or thick tomato sauce, and add toppings.

IMG_3941

Place the pizza back on the grill, close the lid and cook for another 3 minutes or so, until the cheese is melted and the bottom crust is lightly browned. Top pizza with basil if you’re using it. Cut into slices and serve promptly.

Repeat cooking process with remaining dough rounds.

IMG_3945
______________________________________________
I like to make the dough in the mixer(I usually get frustrated with making it in my food processor), but for those of you who wish to do it this way, here are the instructions.

To make dough in food processor:

Combine dry ingredients in food processor fitted with metal blade. While the machine is running, add liquids slowly through the feed tube. Process until dough forms a ball, about 1 1/2 minutes. If dough does not form a ball, add flour 1 tablespoon at a time until ball forms. Transfer dough to a greased bowl, cover with a wet tea towel, and let rise 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
___________________________________________
Garlic Oil

4 medium cloves garlic, minced or pressed through garlic press (4 teaspoons)
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes(I used way less than this)
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil

Cook all ingredients in small saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until garlic starts to sizzle, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to small bowl.

1 Jenny July 1, 2009 at 3:15 pm

Nice! Those tomatoes look beautiful…

2 EngineerMom July 1, 2009 at 3:40 pm

Yum! Makes me wish we had a grill conducive to making pizza… By the way, how are your eyes?

3 Terri Young July 1, 2009 at 4:26 pm

This is making me drool! ;-)
I’m showing my husband now. Thank you so much for posting the pics and instructions!! I simply love your blog!

4 calimama @ compactbydesign.com July 1, 2009 at 5:56 pm

We are loving our weekly pizza nights thanks to your recipes and ideas! Glad to see your eyes are up to a full post today!

5 CanadianSaver July 1, 2009 at 7:06 pm

That looks very, very good!!

6 Melody July 1, 2009 at 9:43 pm

Mmmm. So, quick question: do you ever do the kneading in the stand mixer with the dough hook? Or is that always unsatisfactory?

7 Stephanie July 1, 2009 at 10:20 pm

Can you do this on a charcol grill? If you used less charcol than usual maybe? Also, does it not stick?? Looks so yummy!!!!

8 Angela July 2, 2009 at 12:36 am

What the ??? This is the kind of thing that makes people think you’re superwoman! You’re sick, and then the next day you’re doing a detailed post with tons of photos about making homemade pizza dough.

My husband makes the pizza in our house- I love it. And he can put anything he fancies on there since he’s made dinner.

You’re a champ.

9 Minnow July 2, 2009 at 2:27 am

Too funny, I just made pizza on the grill for the first time last week. Man was it good! I especially like that you can wrap the crust you don’t need and store them for another night. Just like your little own Boboli pizza crusts. ;)

Great post! Thanks!!

10 Pat July 2, 2009 at 8:20 am

These look great! My family has been making these for years. I will make these for when we have guests over for dinner too. I make a big toppings bar and every one gets to put what they love on their own pizza. It is always a big hit.

Love your blog! Great ideas here.

11 Whitney July 2, 2009 at 9:31 am

Stephanie- I have made this on a charcoal grill and it works great!! It does not stick at all!! This is great pizza!! My family LOVES it!!! Thanks Kristen!!

12 Callie July 2, 2009 at 12:27 pm

This looks delicious and fresh. I’ll definitely be trying this one out soon!

13 Lauren F July 2, 2009 at 1:47 pm

We make dough by hand without any machines. It can be done. The secret to grilled pizza is rolling the dough out as thin as possible and keeping the toppings light. I personally recommend a layer of pesto on the dough before adding any other sauces or toppings.

14 Anyazs July 2, 2009 at 2:17 pm

Wow, looks like we all had the same idea this week :) Our household grilled pizza for the first successful time last weekend (over charcoal, so I can second Whitney’s endorsement!). I wish I had read this last week so I could’ve followed your instructions and especially Lauren F’s advice to keep the dough as thin as possible. I have a picture posted of my very well done crust, but Kristen’s pictures are so much more appealing!!

15 Kristen July 2, 2009 at 2:56 pm

Engineer Mom-my eyes are FINALLY feeling a little better. I’m not back to normal, but I’m improving.

Angela, I cheated. I had this post up on my baking blog last year, so I just had to copy and paste the text(although I modified it a bit), and I had to reload the pictures because they were smaller on my old blog.

Anyways, you shouldn’t be too impressed. lol

Stephanie, I have never had a problem with mine sticking. If chicken sticks, you’d think pizza dough would stick too, but it definitely doesn’t.