The recipe for homemade Orange Julius has been on my blog for ages, but it was paired with the Strawberry Syrup recipe. This was super annoying when you were just googling for the Orange Julius recipe (as I have done many times!). So, I wanted to give this its own post.
Homemade Orange Julius drinks are really, really easy to make at home. And they are way cheaper than what you can buy at those mall stands too.
We mainly use this recipe when we have breakfast for dinner. It’s a quick addition that makes even basic pancakes feel just a little bit more special.
A few homemade Orange Julius notes
- The recipe calls for a 6 ounce can of OJ concentrate. These are a little hard to find, and besides, a bigger can is cheaper. So, I buy a regular can and just use half for a recipe. Store the other half in the freezer for your next batch.
- A good blender definitely makes a difference here. I used to make this with my cheap blender (use what you have!), but the Vitamix does a much better job of pulverizing the ice.
- You can adjust the sugar amount as you wish. I often use 1/4 or 1/3 cup of sugar instead of the 1/2 cup called for in the recipe.
- The vanilla is also very flexible; adjust to taste! This is not a good spot to use imitation vanilla, though; that’s only tasty in baked goods. Use the good stuff here.
Making Orange Julius is quick! Just dump all the ingredients into the blender.
And then blend for a minute or two, until it’s smooth and slushy.
This melts pretty quickly in warm temperatures, so I like to put our glasses in the freezer while I’m making this drink.
That way, they’re nice and cold when I’m ready to pour.
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup sugar (can use 1/4 or 1/3 cup)
- 1/2-1 teaspoon vanilla
- 6 oz. frozen orange juice concentrate
- 12-15 ice cubes
- Place glasses in freezer to chill.
- Combine all ingredients in blender; blend for 1-2 minutes, or until mixture is slushy. Pour into glasses and serve immediately.
To save money, buy a 12 ounce can of orange juice concentrate; use half and freeze the other half for a future batch.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 204 Total Fat 1g Saturated Fat 1g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 0g Cholesterol 5mg Sodium 39mg Carbohydrates 46g Net Carbohydrates 0g Fiber 1g Sugar 40g Sugar Alcohols 0g Protein 3g