Stuff. And other stuff.

by Kristen on September 3, 2013 · 15 comments

in Miscellany

We start school today. Boo. I’m not quite ready for summer to be over.

IMG_1763

___________________________

I finished Lisey’s room! I just need to take some photos and then I can show you what I’ve been up to.

IMG_1702

It looks a whole lot better in there now (I kind of want to move in.), and I didn’t spend very much money at all. That’s always a lovely combo…big improvement, small price tag.

___________________________

Remember the glass straws that I bought for our family? Well, there’s a Living Social deal running right now where you can get a $20 Strawesome voucher for $10.

I bought two vouchers for my family because we finally had a straw casualty here.

(Which involved a certain smallish person in the family leaving her cup on the edge of the table. Ahem.)

JFKSmSet2

She was so, so sad over her broken straw, and I’m hopeful that this will help her to remember that drinks go up at the top of the plate, toward the middle of the table.

Also, when I replace her straw, I’m going to get her the shorter smoothie straw so that it’s not quite so likely to fall out of her smoothie mug (I wasn’t thinking when I ordered our original straws…I drink my smoothies out of a taller glass, but the kids usually have shorter ones.)

hues-lengths

Actually, since I now have $40 of credit to spend at Strawesome, I’ll probably get shorter straws for all four kids (I just saw that I can get a set of four for a discounted price. Yay!)

________________________________

I can’t even believe I’m saying this, but we’re buying a loft bed for Joshua, and, um, it’s gonna need to be painted. Oof.

He needs a little more space in his room, and we’ve been thinking for a while that a loft bed would be perfect. A used one popped up that fits perfectly in his space, so we’re going to buy it.

However, I am really tired of painting right now so this bed may sit, unassembled, in our laundry room for a month or so while I wait for my painting mojo to come back.

___________________

Joshua’s 365 post: Rhinoceros

1 Lisa September 3, 2013 at 8:17 am

We start school today as well. Our first day of homeschooling after public schooling up to 8th grade! Freshman and second grade for us.
Have a wonderful first day back to school!

2 Economies of Kale September 3, 2013 at 8:38 am

We just had the first day of spring here and I am definitely ready for winter to be over :)

That’s really cool about the loft bed (but not so cool that you need to paint it!). I used to live in a house where the third bedroom was only just bigger than a double bed, and the guy who lived in the room had a double loft bed, which was a great use of the space.

3 Katie September 3, 2013 at 9:26 am

Does Joshua know how to paint? Maybe he can tackle the bed project. My dad used to have me help him with all kinds of painting projects when I was a teenager.

4 Christina B September 3, 2013 at 9:38 am

I just noticed on the straw site that they will replace if for you if you break one.

5 Kate September 3, 2013 at 9:54 am

Ah, the painting mojo. Do you know where I can get some? I’ve been holding off painting a small powder room by spackling every. little. dent. Then I sand, wipe down and vacuum. Then the next day I do it again. Then there’s the pile of spray painting projects… :P

6 Therese Z September 3, 2013 at 12:18 pm

why can’t Josh paint it himself? I did, at that age, and didn’t do too bad a job, with some initial supervision. I don’t think I cleaned the brushes, but I did the painting and sanding between coats, on my dressing table.

7 Michelle September 3, 2013 at 12:55 pm

Thanks for the note about the straws — I’ve been wanting some for a long time and now I can get them! Yay!!!!

8 The Norwegian Girl September 3, 2013 at 1:52 pm

A loft bed is a great way to get more use of limited space. I bet heŽll love it! :-)

9 Kristina September 3, 2013 at 2:13 pm

Can you tell me the name of the manufacturer of the loft bed you found? I’m trying to find an alternative to the typical Ikea loft bed, and there is one American manufacturer that’s escaping my mind….

10 Kristen September 3, 2013 at 4:26 pm

Unfortunately, I can’t help you there, because this IS an Ikea bed!

11 Kristina September 4, 2013 at 10:39 am

Ha! Well, I’m sure it will be great, just want to find some alternatives :)

12 Patti Williams September 3, 2013 at 3:43 pm

Amazing catch on the dive into the pool!

13 Lilypad September 4, 2013 at 12:48 pm

We have stainless steel straws which I LOVE. They don’t break!

14 Maria G. September 4, 2013 at 3:54 pm

Oh, I have never seen straws made of glass! It must be so convenient to use them and by the way they are really cute and it makes them perfect for parties. But are they safe for children? Because they can easily bite off a piece of glass and swallow it.

15 Randi September 5, 2013 at 7:59 pm

I love my stainless steel straws.