Food Waste Friday | Cantaloupe win

Every week, I post a picture of the food that has gone bad over the last seven days. Why do I do this? Because in March of 2008, I finally got fed up with the amount of food I was wasting, and I thought that showing my waste to other people would motivate me to use up my food instead of wasting it. Because this often embarrassing practice was so helpful for me, I invited other bloggers to join me in posting their food waste photos, and Food Waste Friday was born.

Before we get to the cantaloupe, we’ll talk about my failures:

Parsley can at least be composted, so I’m not too bummed about that. But I really ought to have done something with the leftover chicken. I don’t mind eating leftover chicken…I just forgot about it.

The leftover fish is another story, though…I tried eating it and was reminded once again that I pretty much hate leftover fish. Usually I do pretty well at making the perfect amount for the six of us, but I apparently overestimated this time.

On a happier note, remember the cantaloupe that froze after I put it outside? Well, this time when I bought a cantaloupe home, I cut it up promptly and it was gone less than 24 hours after I bought it. Yay!

________________________________________________

How did you do this week? If you blogged about your food waste, link us up by entering your info into the widget below. You’ll save money, reduce your trash output, and get a little publicity for your blog! And if you don’t blog, you can still share about your food waste by leaving a comment.

Those of you who participate in Food Waste Friday can now grab a fancy-schmancy button to perk up your posts. If you copy and paste the following code into your Food Waste Friday post, this little graphic will appear.

FoodWasteFriday

If you blog on WordPress, just make sure you’re in html mode when you copy and paste the code, or it won’t work properly.

Comments

1. Natalie says

I feel embarrassed about this week food waste. Bunch of parsley (i could of chopped it while it was fresh and store it in the freezer). 5 moldy slices of rye bread, 2 english muffins that gone moldy too, a few raspberries, and a few strawberries that wore forgotten about in the back of the fridge. I mean who forgets to eat their expansive fruits in the middle of the winter. Hopefully next week I will do better.

Great job with the cantaloupe, Kristen!

We had half a loaf of bread go untouched (and then moldy) by those in the family who stayed home, while the rest of us played away. Oh well. That was pretty good considering I left 2 guys in charge of the kitchen for the week.

On the very positive side, my son had some friends over for dinner, and they had leftovers, which he didn’t want to go bad, so he took the initiative and googled how best to freeze them! When kids become responsible, it’s a joyful moment!

3. Elaine in Ark says

I’m tossing quite a bit of stuff this week. I decided to eat out of my freezer early last week, so all the good frozen food is gone. What’s left is food that I do not want to eat, so it’s going.

I’ve decided to post a freezer inventory on the fridge, and keep it updated. And to also stop buying food that I don’t really like (because I think it’s healthy).

Not an overly bad week. I did have some moldy strawberries and to be honest, I didn’t think they had been in the refrigerator long enough to get moldy, but maybe I bought a slightly bad container when I bought them. The rest of the strawberries have been sliced and frozen. I love cutting up a banana, putting some frozen sliced strawberries on it and topping with yogurt and a small amount of cereal for crunch. That is my breakfast when I can find strawberries cheap. I buy bananas and yogurt year round though. (Apples too, which I swear is a huge part of my weekly grocery budget.)

I do have a potato side dish one serving that I need to throw out as no one ate it. I have to find ways to get people to eat a potato side dish and I need to check and see how the roast beef left over is doing. I had forgotten about it. Better check it. (Roast beef is fine still, but there is about 8 oz. left, so need to make a salad or maybe an english muffin sandwich with it tomorrow for lunch.)

I did throw two hot dog buns out for the birds/squirrels. New to the area and still trying to find out what I need to pay a bit more for, as we don’t like cheap fluffy white bread. The cheap Kroger hot dog and hamburger buns just don’t taste good to me.

This always reminds me to check my refrigerator for the coming week to see what I need to use up! Thank you!

5. Samantha says

I used to hate left over fish too! I have found it is good in tacos the next day with cabbage, avocado, cheese and salsa. My waste this week wasn’t too bad I composted 4 moldy tangerines.

Good job! We eat a “ton” of fruits and vegetables. I am SO BAD at buying too much and then having to compost or throw food away. I’m trying to get better by buying less and shopping more for produce. Thankfully I live within 5 minutes of two wonderful grocery stores, so it’s not out of the way or wasting a lot of gas and time. Hope your weekend is lovely! Mrs.C

7. debbie flowers says

I have a recipe for fish patties that includes cooked fish, egg, bread crumbs., lemon juice, and dry mustard. I freeze any leftover fish until I have enough!

8. Jenessa says

I had some cottage cheese that went horribly bad. It wasn’t even that old, but at least it was only about the last quarter of the container.

Our household is the same when it comes to melon’s. I find if I just take 5 minutes to cut it up the same day I buy it and put it in a container in the fridge the family will eat it up and none of it will go bad, BUT if I don’t take those 5 minutes right away the day I bought it, it gets pushed aside for days and days and goes bad. Hate it!

10. christina says

Just curious, do you ever freeze already cooked leftover meat or chicken to pull out and use later? Could save it from being lost.

11. Tabitha says

I saw the picture of your parsley and had to comment! I was so tired of buying fresh herbs for a dish and having them wilt within a day or two. I did a quick Google search, and now my herbs stay fresh for weeks! The trick? Just put your herbs in a glass container with a slice of apple. Voila! So simple, and yet it works! I have parsley and mint from two weeks ago still happily hanging in there. A chef I met also said you could put an egg in with the herbs and it does the same thing, but it makes the egg runny when you go to use it (because it has absorbed the excess moisture).