Food Waste Friday | Nadda for me (at least for this week!)

by Kristen on December 14, 2012 · 32 comments

in Food Waste Friday

Every week, I post a picture of the food that has gone bad over the last seven days. Why do I do this? Because in March of 2008, I finally got fed up with the amount of food I was wasting, and I thought that showing my waste to other people would motivate me to use up my food instead of wasting it. Because this often embarrassing practice was so helpful for me, I invited other bloggers to join me in posting their food waste photos, and Food Waste Friday was born.

Happily, I have not experienced any food waste in the past 7 days. However, on my off week, when FWF was hosted at Simply Being Mum, I did have some produce waste.

I’m sitting here trying to remember what it was that I threw into the compost bin, but I’m coming up totally dry.

Well, anyway. It was not a perfect week, that one.

I did thoroughly clean my fridge though, in the take-out-the-drawers-and-shelves kind of way.

There was some serious disgusting-ness in that fridge, especially on the very bottom. Fortunately for you, that went unphotographed.

Something sort of obvious dawned on my when I put my cheese drawer back in. When I have a partially-used block of cheese, I usually store it in a glass container (since that’s less disposable than a plastic bag.) However, the lid is opaque, which means I sometimes forget what I’ve stored in the drawer.

Fortunately, I finally realized that hey, I could just turn the containers upside down and fix that problem right up.

Duh.

So, my cheese should not ever be forgotten from here on out.
________________________________________________

How did you do this week? If you blogged about your food waste, link us up by entering your info into the widget below. You’ll save money, reduce your trash output, and get a little publicity for your blog! And if you don’t blog, you can still share about your food waste by leaving a comment.

Those of you who participate in Food Waste Friday can now grab a fancy-schmancy button to perk up your posts. If you copy and paste the following code into your Food Waste Friday post, this little graphic will appear.

FoodWasteFriday

If you blog on WordPress, just make sure you’re in html mode when you copy and paste the code, or it won’t work properly.

______________________________________

Joshua’s 365 post: Mini Ferns

1 Live and Learn-Toss and Turn December 14, 2012 at 7:16 am

I like the look of your cheese drawer. Not only can you now see what you have, you have a lot of it. You must like cheese at your house.

2 Live and Learn-Toss and Turn December 14, 2012 at 7:40 am

I forgot to add that I wasted cheese my house this week.

3 Jo@simplybeingmum December 14, 2012 at 7:36 am

I can’t even bring myself to photograph my fridge this week… not my finest hour! There’s a cute piccie of a gingerbread house instead.

4 WilliamB December 16, 2012 at 10:39 am

Come up, you gotta fess up to the bad stuff or we’ll think you’re an unrealistic domestic goddess or something! (I suspect a photo from this week would just prove that your full fridge resembles most readers’ empty fridges.)

5 Elizabeth December 14, 2012 at 8:50 am

We lost a handful of grapes that sat forgotten behind the bowl of apples…not to self…better fridge organization. I had the last of some less than crisp celery but that went into the stock pot along with the turkey carcass and other assorted veggie scraps for stock.

6 Becky December 14, 2012 at 8:51 am

I had to eat a big ol’ slice of humble pie over my food waste this week, after being pretty smug about my zero waste week last week.
Ah well … tis the season to be busy and overwhelmed, right?!

7 Economies of kale December 14, 2012 at 9:12 am

I like your upside-down cheese containers, and the variety of cheese you have (we love our cheese too!).

Unfortunately I wasted bean sprouts, coleslaw and a green smoothie this week. But I did have some good saves. This week we really need to eat everything as we are going interstate for Christmas.

Thanks to all the reader suggestions from your previous post, I have a lot of recipes to try and use up the whole watermelon I have sitting on the kitchen bench. I might even end up posting some of them :)

8 Skirnir Hamilton December 14, 2012 at 9:13 am

Zero waste this week, but when you are in temporary housing, after a move, takes awhile to build up waste. Despite that, if I don’t find a good use for a cup of homemade gravy, I may wind up in trouble soon. I bought a few more left over dishes as three wasn’t cutting up, but one seems to be occupied constantly with some left over gravy that needs a use. Ideas?

9 AFS December 14, 2012 at 1:18 pm

add it to soup

10 Jenny December 14, 2012 at 2:15 pm

Shepherd’s pie – Mix the gravy with ground beef and whatever cooked or frozen veggies you have on hand. Cook together briefly and dump into a baking dish, top with mashed potatoes, cheese if you like, and broil until the top is just starting to brown.

Beef Stroganoff – Mix the gravy with some sour cream and add some cooked beef (ground, shredded, or finely diced), mushrooms if you like, and serve over egg noodles.

11 Jenny December 14, 2012 at 2:17 pm

Oops, I just noticed you didn’t say what kind of gravy. The previous two ideas were for beef gravy.

For chicken gravy, I like to mix in some chicken and some veggies (usually peas, carrots, celery for me) and bake up some fresh biscuits to serve it over. It’s kind of like pot pie filling, but I just pour it over biscuits instead of putting it in a crust.

12 Skirnir Hamilton December 14, 2012 at 2:19 pm

Chicken gravy actually. :)

13 kris December 14, 2012 at 4:35 pm

You can freeze it until you’re ready to use it.

14 WilliamB December 16, 2012 at 10:41 am

You can make shepherd’s pie, stew, or stroganoff from chix gravy. The stroganoff will taste the most different but all will be fine. In fact I made shepherd’s pie with turkey gravy last week; shepherd’s pie being just meat stew topped with mashed potatoes.

Oh – mashed potatoes and gravy.

15 Economies of kale December 14, 2012 at 9:15 am

PS. The link widget is not showing up for me this week, although the text talking about it is. Is it supposed to be there? Thanks :)

16 Kristen December 14, 2012 at 12:12 pm

Well, nuts. That happened to me last time too. I wonder if Mr. Linky is broken or something.

17 AFS December 14, 2012 at 1:23 pm

Is Mr. Linky even necessary? If a commenter’s name is blue (indicating they are bloggers) I click on their name to see what their blog says.

18 Economies of kale December 15, 2012 at 10:17 am

I do notice a lot more people visit my blog when it is listed in the widget, which is probably because it’s listed on the front page.

But I totally understand if it’s hard to fix and know you’re busy :)

19 Sharon December 14, 2012 at 9:17 am

Great idea! Sometimes it’s the simple things that make all the difference! I cleaned out my fridge yesterday (in preparation of food shopping) and finally got rid of the outdated condiments. LOVE a clean fridge!

20 Tina Ray December 14, 2012 at 9:23 am

I have a serving of goulash that has been wasted. No produce though which makes me happy.

21 Diane December 14, 2012 at 9:43 am

Why didn’t I ever think of just turning those cheese containers over?? Sheesh! Sometimes the simplest things just escape us, don’t they? We use
a lot of cheese, too.
I confess, I had a food waste that made me a little angry. I bought two bags of “Cuties” (mandarin oranges). I thought we were eating them at a pretty fast clip, but when I went to the kitchen yesterday morning, I smelled mold, and there it was, all over four of the oranges. I was very unhappy. I hate to do it, but do you think that it would be good/bad to wash oranges off with a vinegar or bleach solution (after purchase), in order to keep these puppies good?

22 WilliamB December 16, 2012 at 10:45 am

Vinegar solution, definitely. Either Consumer Reports or Cooks Illustrated found that a 3:1 of water and distilled vinegar did at least as good a job as purchased produce washes, for a miniscule fraction of the price. I keep mine in a large spray jar with the formula written on it.

Me, I’d avoid putting bleach on something I wanted to eat.

23 AFS December 14, 2012 at 1:01 pm

I wish I could say nadda also but I let 3 portions of yogurt get mouldy and most of a can of black olives.

24 Heather December 14, 2012 at 2:19 pm

We wasted a pack of raw chicken. Wasted is a stretch…because it must have been bad before we bought it! I can’t stand when I buy something and then find out it is bad when we go to make it or eat it! Drives me wonky!

25 Jenny December 14, 2012 at 2:24 pm

I had to dump out a whole pot of popcorn last night. I don’t know what went wrong, but it just didn’t pop much at all. I used the same technique as usual (cook a few kernels until they pop, then add the rest), but only a few dozen kernels popped, and they kind of burned while I was trying to get the rest to pop. It wasn’t bad popcorn because the next batch from the same kernels popped up fine.

A suggestion for your fridge – Before you put your bottom drawers back in, put a layer of wax paper below them. This will catch a lot of the drips and ickiness that fall down there, and then next time you clean your fridge thoroughly, you can just replace the paper. Just be careful, if you have a big sticky spill and don’t get it right away, it can end up under the paper, and then you have a sticky mess with bits of wax paper stuck in it to clean up.

26 Jill Whitney December 14, 2012 at 5:14 pm

You are a genius. Flipping over your food containers so you can actually see what is inside of them! I am amazed by how sometimes the most simple changes can have a huge impact on how we function.

27 Jenessa December 14, 2012 at 7:04 pm

I found about a half cup of homemade pesto in the back of the fridge that was growing absolutely amazing mold on it. I also wasted the last two of a bag of clementines that were really dried out and part of a block of cheese that had turned blue. At least I was able to save most of the cheese.

28 Helen @ my lil adventures December 14, 2012 at 9:38 pm

No waste here – we’re on a roll!

BTW: both cheese & gravy are items NEVER wasted in this house.

29 Sarah December 14, 2012 at 9:54 pm

Well done Kristen on your no waste and clean fridge. I wish I could say the same for my food waste.. I did very poorly this week.

30 WilliamB December 16, 2012 at 10:51 am

Nothing to signify, if I remember correctly. So the usual bits of berries, maybe the last clementine of batch, and suchlike. I also helped prevent waste at the company’s holiday party by properly wrapping up and labeling leftovers, so the weekend crew can eat it.

31 sarah@everydaylifeonashoestring December 17, 2012 at 1:30 pm

I blogged about it eventually…more runny stuff here.

32 Kelly March 28, 2014 at 12:35 pm

I hate wasting food but I’m inclinded to be leanient towards things that can be composted. They may not be eaten but they are still useful!