Wednesday Baking | Ice Cream Crunch Cake

by Kristen on July 8, 2009 · 22 comments

in Desserts, Wednesday Baking

This is yet another no-bake recipe for you to use when it’s just too hot to turn on your oven. I found this recipe years ago when I signed up for a Recipe-A-Day email list. It’s not the most frugal recipe ever (brownies or some other baked good will usually be cheaper), but it’s a lot cheaper than a prepared ice cream cake is, especially if you manage to find ice cream on a good sale.

This makes a fairly large cake so if you have a small family, you might want to cut the recipe in half. You’ll end up with a shorter cake, but it still tastes just as good.

The recipe calls for a springform pan, which is what I use, but if you don’t have one, you could just use a 9×13 pan and cut the cake into squares instead of wedges.

Ice Cream Crunch Cake

6 cups Rice Krispies
12 oz. package chocolate chips
2/3 cup peanut butter
1 gallon of ice cream, whatever flavor you like, so long as it goes with peanut butter and chocolate

1) Combine peanut butter and chocolate chips in a saucepan and stir over low heat until the chocolate chips are melted.

IMG_7926

2) Pour the chocolate mixture over the Rice Krispies and stir gently until the cereal is thoroughly coated. Pour the cereal out onto a jelly roll pan (or a cookie sheet), and let it cool.

IMG_7928

Since my house was awfully warm on the day I made this, I ended up having to put mine in the freezer to get it to firm up. It should be hard enough so that you can crumble it into chunks. Like, this hard:

IMG_7943

3) Soften the ice cream, and once you’ve broken all of your chocolate cereal mixture up into smallish chunks, fold all but one cup into the softened ice cream. Pour/press the mixture into a 9-inch springform pan. Mine is 8 inches, but it works fine.

Alternatively, you can layer different flavors of ice cream. For the cake in the next photo, I put the cereal mixture in the bottom, topped it with plain vanilla ice cream, and topped that with chocolate ice cream mixed with the cereal mixture. I then topped the whole cake with more cereal mixture.

4) Sprinkle/press the remaining chocolate cereal on top of the ice cream cake, cover with plastic wrap, and freeze until firm.

5) When you’re ready to serve your cake, loosen the sides of the springform pan and slice the cake into wedges. If the cake is really hard and difficult to slice, you can let it sit for a few minutes so that it will soften.

The original recipe says to garnish the cake with whipped cream and strawberries, but I’ve never bothered with that. I think it’s just fine as is. ;)

I’m adding a photo with text down here for you Pinterest people. ;)

1 Samantha FIsher July 8, 2009 at 8:15 pm

This looks so yummy! I never knew that there was a recipe to make an ice cream cake! Who knew!

2 Franci July 8, 2009 at 8:20 pm

Oh wow, that looks so good, even in the middle of winter!

3 Sarah July 8, 2009 at 8:39 pm

Just in time for my daughter’s birthday! Thanks!

4 Alea July 9, 2009 at 2:56 pm

I am really excited about this recipe. I am going to surprise my kids this weekend.

5 BarbS July 9, 2009 at 3:09 pm

Yum… that looks good! I’ve made a similar cake in my springform pan by first making a graham-cracker crust, and the filling it with softened ice cream and topping with chocolate sauce or something similar. My son does not particularly like cake or brownies (don’t ask me… I can’t explain why!) so I’m always looking for recipes for things that he might like.

6 Linda July 9, 2009 at 6:38 pm

That looks so yummy!! One question, is there anything you can substitute for the peanut butter? My son has peanut and tree nut allergies so we can’t use peanut butter, almond butter, etc. I don’t think SunButter (made with sunflower seeds) would be very good in it ;)

Thanks!

7 Kristen July 9, 2009 at 7:54 pm

Franci, I always forget it’s freezing cold where you are! lol

Linda, oddly enough, I was just thinking about that today. I bet that you could just use straight chocolate chips, or maybe mix in a few teaspoons of butter. If you try it, let me know how it works, and I’ll add a note. That could be useful if you wanted to use something like black cherry ice cream, which wouldn’t taste good with peanut butter.

8 Tammy Brackett July 10, 2009 at 6:57 am

THANK YOU KRISTEN for anything NON BAKE during these sweltering summer days in the southeast! This looks great. Can’t wait to try it!

9 ksmedgirl July 11, 2009 at 12:19 pm

Here is another ice cream cake suggestion we have used before:

Unwrap a box of ice cream sandwiches (rectangular) and put them in the bottom of a 9×13 pan. You may need to cut some to fit. Cover with a layer of cool whip, and, cut into squares,and serve. Can also make it a double decker if you ahve enough ice cream sandwiches. My kids are happy with this version of an ice cream store cake.

10 The Beer Soap Company January 23, 2010 at 4:04 pm

That looks absolutely delicious. I will have to try it out. My favorite kind of cake is ice cream cake, particularly that crunchy chocolate bottom!

Off to a birthday party, keeping my fingers crossed for an ice cream!

11 CB March 15, 2010 at 11:00 am

Another recipe to add to my peanut butter/chocolate combination files… thanks!

12 Susan November 23, 2010 at 10:26 pm

Just an added note, I have an aunt who has celiac disease (gluten intolerance) and she says this recipe is gluten free.

13 Sippin Syrup March 11, 2011 at 6:01 am

There is nothing better than chocolate and peanut butter!

14 sandra wyrick April 4, 2012 at 10:41 am

Just thought of something totally unrelated to this post ha ha, I am ok with not seeing your groceries posted in a pic., but guess what i will miss seeing? the childrens’ stuffed animals in the pics! So Sweet!!!!!!!!!!!

15 Dorthey April 4, 2012 at 11:58 am

This Cake is So Pretty & Fancy ! ;)
Gonna Make this for My Brothers BDay.

Do you Remember the Watermellon Ice cream
cake ?
Green color IceCream Put into a Bowl then
a Bowl in to the Green Icecream to make the
Shape stay & Freeze.
Then take out & remove the Inner bowl.
& Add Red Color IceCream or Sherbert
with some Choc Chips to look like seeds.
& Freeze again .
Then Slice n Seever

16 Amy Engle April 12, 2012 at 7:32 pm

Yum! I’m going to make this soon. Thanks.

17 marina March 14, 2013 at 2:43 pm

hi,
i have a question,
since you are using peanut butter, what can I replace it with?
my child and i know others are allergic to peanut butter but cake sounds awesome.
please advise

18 Kristen March 14, 2013 at 5:45 pm

You can actually use just chocolate chips if you’d like…when I’ve done that, I’ve just added another 2/3 cup of chocolate chips and left the peanut butter out entirely.

19 marina March 14, 2013 at 5:54 pm

thanks! will do that!

20 Marthalynn June 6, 2013 at 9:00 am

Just made this last night for my family. We follow a GF diet, so this is perfect for us! And I used Aldi Rice Cereal and their Chocolate Chips to make this and they worked just great. My question is this – how do you store leftovers?

21 Kristen June 6, 2013 at 10:36 am

I just store the leftover cake in the freezer, covered with plastic wrap. So glad that it worked out well for you!