Schtuff.

by Kristen on November 15, 2013 · 26 comments

in Miscellany

Post image for Schtuff.

Dude! I have so many random things to tell you guys. So, I thought I should throw together a miscellany post.

blue sky and clouds

(Starting off with cloud pictures because clouds are one of my favorite things. Except for the rainy kind.)

1. Site slowness

My blog has been running a bit slow of late for me sometimes and for some of you…my apologies!

I’ve maxed out my VPS at Dreamhost, which has been the kick in the pants that I needed to shop around for another host, and so soon, The Frugal Girl is going to be migrated to a new hosting company (don’t worry…the site will still be right here, as all the changes are just happening on the back end.)

The really awesome part: the new hosting promises to be faster, AND I’ll be paying $50-$100 less per month. Which means that I can afford to hire them to do the migration for me, and that’s an enormous load off of my shoulders.

(Kristen does not enjoy doing techie-related blog tasks. At all.)

Happiness all around, I say!

I have no idea what exactly will happen during the migration, so just know if things seem hiccupy at all, it’s probably because stuff is being moved.

2. Butternut. Squash. Soup.

Not really too sure how I missed out on this for so long, but I did.

I made mine using a Cook’s Illustrated recipe (duh!), and it was so buttery and delicious. Also: very cheap.

Ooh, and it calls for using the squash fibers and seeds to flavor the soup (you do strain them out before you’re done).

cooking squash seeds for soup

I felt like that was sort of nice on the food waste front…using what’s usually trash to make the soup taste better.

Unfortunately, Lisey liked this soup as much as I did, so I had to share it with her, and it was gone awfully quickly.

Must make another pot.

3. Cream drizzles

Ok, so this isn’t very important, but it’s awfully fun.

butternut squash soup Cook's Illustrated

I’ve found it’s key to get your pouring spout super close to the soup so that the cream hits the soup very gently. Pour from too high, and the cream just sinks.

4. Don’t you wish…

..that you had a minion to guard your basil??

minion guarding basil

5. Bad Ads

I want you guys to know that I always opt out of pop-up, pop-under, and autoplay ads. I think they’re super annoying, and I don’t care how profitable they are…I’m just not going to use them.

I also opt out of ad categories that are offensive or, uh, not family-friendly (for lack of a better term, because honestly, that term annoys me a lot).

However!

Sometimes bad ads sneak through anyway.

(I am so sorry.)

If you see an ad that behaves poorly (popping up, autoplaying with sounds) or you see one that’s offensive, the very best thing you can do is to take a screenshot and send it to me. That way I can see which ad unit is the problem and can submit the screenshot to the ad supplier for removal.

6. I’m on instagram now.

But I’m still smartphone-less, so I don’t imagine I’ll exactly be flooding your feed (I have to use a tablet to post to instagram, which is a lot less handy than a smartphone!)

I actually signed up because Aldi had an instavideo contest for bloggers. I usually stick with still photos (they’re my favorite!), but with Joshua’s help, I made a few videos, and it was actually pretty fun!

Anyway, I’m The Frugal Girl on instagram.

(I know. You were totally expecting a different user name, weren’t you??)

The Frugal Girl Instagram

Ok! I think that’s all the stuff I needed to tell you.

Have a lovely weekend, k?

living room tent

P.S. Food Waste Friday is over at Simply Being Mum today.

Joshua’s 365 post: Biology

1 Alice November 15, 2013 at 8:11 am

Are they using that amp to hold up the fort? :)

2 Kristen November 15, 2013 at 8:15 am

Yup!

3 David November 15, 2013 at 8:29 am

What is VPS?

4 Kristen November 15, 2013 at 8:32 am

It stands for Virtual Private Server. Sorry, I should have specified that!

5 Linda November 15, 2013 at 9:12 am

Any plans to put up the recipe for the squash soup? I would love to make it today!!

6 Kristen November 15, 2013 at 9:13 am
7 Moonwaves November 15, 2013 at 9:55 am

Now that you mention it, I did have an autoplay video ad on this blog this week (actually, it might have been last weekend already). I like to go through my blog list and open up all the ones I want to read and then I flick back and forth between reading and watching something on another tab (I watch a lot of programs that really don’t require a lot of attention so just listening in the background is enough for a few minutes). The same ad came up on several tabs around the same time though and since it was a German ad (for condoms, I think it was) I just assumed it was something on my setting that wasn’t being blocked the way it normally would. So, I have no screenshot but if it happens again, I’ll be sure to make one and pass it on.

8 Deb November 15, 2013 at 10:33 am

Since you mentioned the ads, I just saw an ad at the top of your page that says, Cook your a** off. (a new tv show). I know that I am conservative, but I just don’t appreciate language like that. I also know that you don’t have complete control over the ads, so this is just an FYI, you can do what you want with your blog! I don’t know how to do a screen shot…………

9 Kristen November 16, 2013 at 9:44 am

You should have a button on your computer that says prtscn or something like that. If you push it, you should get a screen shot.

I’ll go log into blogher and opt out of that particular campaign.

10 Emily M November 15, 2013 at 11:02 am

Ha ha! You just called us all ‘dude’. You totally have a teenager in your house…

11 AFS November 15, 2013 at 12:02 pm

Please share the soup recipe with us.
I once had a delicious squash soup at a luncheon. I complimented the hostess and asked for the recipe. Only to find out it came from a package. I’ve lost count of how many squash/pumpkin soup recipies I’ve tried never finding what I was searching for.

12 Liz November 16, 2013 at 7:26 am

My favorite squash soup: Cut a butternut squash in half, and bake cut-side down until tender (~50 minutes at 350*). Let cool, then scrape the ‘meat’ into a blender. Add about 1 cup chicken stock, 2-3 ounces goat cheese, and thyme, salt, and pepper to taste. Blend until smooth. Serve warmed.

13 Liz November 16, 2013 at 7:28 am

Oh, I should say – the squash I used was about 4 pounds before cooked.

14 Susan November 15, 2013 at 12:02 pm

Soup looks excellent. Love the cream in it. I would just buy Trader Joe’s ready to cook chopped up squash. I’m such a loser that I would never make the soup if I had to actually cook it/bake it or deal with the seeds. Have a great weekend.

15 Hannah Bouchoucha November 15, 2013 at 2:24 pm

They just opened a Trader Joe’s close to my place – definitely following your advice and making that soup the easy way!

16 Kristen November 17, 2013 at 7:21 pm

The nice thing about this recipe is that it doesn’t require peeling or chopping the squash…you only have to quarter it.

17 Sloan November 15, 2013 at 4:17 pm

I bought a butternut squash the other week and we just boiled it and mashed it up and it was delicious. I may need to make that soup. Also, I was seriously thinking this week how I wish you were on Instagram, so that announcement made me very excited!

18 Kristen November 17, 2013 at 7:21 pm

I hope I live up to your expectations! Heh.

19 Tina S. November 15, 2013 at 6:31 pm

I made a butternut squash soup similar to this, but I added coconut milk instead of cream and also put in a big spoonful of Thai curry paste. It was so good! It wasn’t too sweet, and had a nice depth of flavor. I am horrible at following recipes exactly – I always like to experiment.

20 Micro November 15, 2013 at 6:49 pm

Butternut squash soup is amazing. I really need to make another batch. Although last time the recipe I used didn’t use the seeds so I will have to try that next time.

21 Stef November 15, 2013 at 11:37 pm

cute blog and loved the above pics!

22 HeatherS November 17, 2013 at 7:11 pm

I once made this butternut squash soup and it was amazing! It did, however, take a long time to make as I remember. Will have to make it again sometime when I am feeling like spending some time in the kitchen.

23 Liz @ Economies of Kale November 17, 2013 at 11:42 pm

That soup looks good, and I’ve never heard of using the seeds and fibres as well.

I’ve been seeing the occasional pop-up ad, but I’ve also been seeing them on other sites, so I suspect my computer is causing them.

24 glory lennon November 18, 2013 at 1:30 pm

I take exception to you calling squash seeds trash. They make a great snack and great in green salads when toasted in the oven and flavored with your favorite spices. They are also awesome for planting out in the garden even if you are NOT a great gardener. They are so easy to grow! Ever have battered and fried squash blossoms? And need I say anything about the treat you would give to our feathered friends if you tossed them outside for them to munch ?

25 Kristen November 18, 2013 at 2:05 pm

I wish I liked eating seeds like that, but sadly, I don’t! I feel the same way about pumpkin seeds, unfortunately.

26 Lulu November 23, 2013 at 8:32 pm

Thank you! I don’t mind ads,but moving blinking ads are terrible. Thank you.