I made some chocolate covered strawberries.

Aren’t they beautiful??

I made ‘em with two ingredients, both from Aldi. Aldi has a number of different flavors of chocolate, but the 70% dark is what I always buy.

People without Aldi stores, you don’t have to hate me…you can go buy some strawberries and chocolate somewhere else and make yourself some beautiful strawberries.

I think you can use most any sort of chocolate you want, although I do believe I’ve heard that chocolate chips aren’t the best for melting and dipping.

Remember when I flew to the Aldi headquarters and met Janice Stahl, a food stylist? Well, she and the Aldi test kitchens put together 4 different Valentine’s Day projects that you can make with Aldi ingredients for under $10.

And they sent me a $10 gift certificate to buy ingredients to make one of the projects. (This post is not sponsored in any other way, though, and all the photos and text are mine.)

I chose chocolate covered strawberries, obviously.

To melt the chocolate, just break it into pieces and microwave it. I did mine for 45 seconds at a time, stirring in between each zapping session.

Proof I am a true fangirl: Even my spatula is from Aldi.

Wash the strawberries and pat them dry. You can use a paper towel, of course, but why would you? ;)

Dip the strawberries into the chocolate, and lay them on a lined baking sheet to set. Wax paper was suggested, but I dug up my silicone pan liner and used that instead.

I drizzled some chocolate onto a few of my strawberries, just to mix things up a bit.

I actually think they look prettier with the drizzle, but of course, the ones dipped in chocolate taste better.

You could get more creative with these of course, by maybe drizzling white chocolate onto the berries once the chocolate has set. Or you could roll them in sprinkles or nuts before the chocolate has completely hardened.

But I have to say, I really like the simple look of the dark chocolate.

If you don’t happen to like the combo of fruit and chocolate, you could always opt to dip pretzel sticks (I’ve done that before and they are so good!) or marshmallows.
_____________________________
Joshua’s 365 post: Tree Tuesday

Comments

1. Liz says

Yum! Did your Aldi have strawberries for $1.50 this week? Great deal for Valentine treats! This seems like an extra-good produce week at Aldi. We just stocked up yesterday!

• Kristen says

Let’s see…one was heart-shaped muffins (but they called for a mix), and another was a rose bouquet with chocolate kisses in the bottom of the vase.

I was sitting here wracking my brain to think of the fourth, looked it up, and realized the fourth option they offered us was to come up with our own $10 or under Valentine idea. Duh.

The chocolate you chose is our “go-to” variety! I love that it is vegan, so it’s perfect for Lent, as well as those with dairy allergies.

And, I also like that you melt your chocolate in the microwave – so much more efficient that the old double-boiler method : )

3. Marthalynn says

I just love Aldi! My silicone baking mat is from there. I have to say, though, I’ve been a little disappointed with their produce in the past. Maybe it’s just my store, but the items seem substandard and they go bad SO quickly!

4. Patti says

Hi Kristen,

Your berries look delicious. I just had a strawberry smoothie. So glad they are in season again.

Does Aldi carry dark chocolate with sea salt? It is sooo good! Let a small piece melt in your mouth and then bite on the small grain of salt. Really, really good!

Patti

• Kris says

My Aldi’s is currently carrying a “special purchase” dark chocolate with sea salt–probably in honor on Valentine’s Day–with the special purchase items, I have found that you need to grab them while you can cuz they won’t last long!

I love Aldi’s Choceur brand dark chocolate.

5. Susan says

Yum!

You are correct, chocolate chips do not melt well. They are made to last through oven heat to end up whole in chocolate chip cookies. When I make homemade chocolate candy, I buy chocolate bars made for melting.

• says

I have had great luck with melting chocolate chips in the microwave for dipping. Perhaps the difference is in the brand? I find that the uniform size and shape helps them to melt evenly, which I see as a big plus. (I do stop and stir every 30 seconds)

• Renee McD says

When we do chocolate chips we actually go for the Nestle brand and put a little butter or milk in with it (not a lot or it is too runny) and melt it in the microwave and dip. We find we have the same results as breaking up bar chocolate.

• WilliamB says

It can be done, but choc chips are designed to hold their shape under heat. Choc bars and coverture (chocolate designed for coating) are more likely to work better/not burn.

• Susan says

I’ve burnt chocolate chips trying to get them to melt. After two different failed trys, I went with chocolate that designed to melt.

6. Deb says

I always use chocolate chips and we make these ALL the time. I add a tiny bit of shortening to help them set up, like a tsp. I miss Aldi, none of those in MT..but the strawberries at Costco have been good. ;)

7. Karen says

I noticed at my local grocery store, they were curiously not selling strawberries this week, yet they WERE selling chocolate-dipped strawberries. I think they wanted the extra profit.

We don’t have an aldi’s near us, but I just read that their beef was contaminated with horse meat. Thought of you. Hopefully that didn’t affect you, since you buy your beef locally.

I needed to stop by Aldi today and I picked up strawberries and chocolate so I could make some for our dessert! They turned out so good! I also got a pineapple (it was under $2 this week) and we had pineapple along with our strawberries. I would say this was a healthy dessert. :)

9. Suzanne says

Semi-Sweet Chocolate chips work really well. Just put them in a micro-wave safe bowl, drizzle the chips with vegetable oil, cover and shake them up so they are all covered with the oil. Nuke them for 1 minute and then stir like crazy. If they are not melted all the way put them in for another 30 seconds.
    My family LOVES these chocolate covered strawberries!!! Happy Valentine’s Day!