My menu board bit the dust. But I resurrected it.

Remember the menu board I made from a super-ugly Goodwill frame this summer?

chalkboard menu in dining room

Well, it had a little accident.


Large pieces of glass don’t take kindly to being knocked off the wall.

I’d grown rather fond of my board, though, and I didn’t want to just give it up. So, I popped in at Goodwill to find a new frame to paint/stain.

Lo and behold, they had what appeared to be a sibling of the original ugly frame/print I started with.


(original on the left, new one on the right)

I didn’t snap a photo of the frame, but it was the exact same dark stain/black speckled finish as my first frame. Apparently everyone is currently donating their framed 80s prints.  ;)

Anyway, I started to feel cautiously hopeful about being able to just pop the glass from the new frame right into the already-refinished frame.

So, I carefully removed the glass from the new Goodwill frame and yes! It fit into the stained framed.

(Oh, happy day!)

I really wanted to make sure that we didn’t repeat the falling-off-the-wall thing again, though, so I decided this needed a wire hanger and whatever the heck you call this thing:


(Previously the menu board had just been hanging on a nail.  We should not be surprised it got knocked off the wall, should we?)

I found some wire in the toolbox, but couldn’t come up with eye hooks, and I figured I was going to have to buy some.


But I kept on digging through all the compartments of random hardware and I came up with two eye hooks.



I screwed them into the sides of the frame and then wound the wire through them.


(See the old hanger there?  Not secure, people, not secure.)

And I cleaned off the glass from the new Goodwill frame, gave it several coats of chalkboard spray paint, and put it into the stained frame.



I did have to pay $7 for the new Goodwill frame, but I already owned everything else I used for this fix, and that makes me happy.

I haven’t yet decided what I will do with the empty ugly frame I now have.

For the moment, I’ll probably store it on a laundry room shelf, and next summer I may paint or stain it and use it to frame some of my kids’ art, because that doesn’t really require glass.


P.S. I already discovered that glass-less frames are kind of great.

P.P.S. Children’s art looks pretty marvelous in a frame.

Well, that worked better than a plastic bag.

I’ve spent many hours of my life bonding with paintbrushes, and usually when I’m waiting for the paint to dry between coats, I wrap a plastic bag around my brush to keep it from drying out.

This can be pretty messy, though, especially if you use the same bag more than once, so when I got a paint brush cover in the mail, I was pretty thrilled.

roller cover and brush cover review

Apparently, this is a product designed by competitors on The Shark Tank, which is a reality TV show that I’ve never seen.

The concept is super simple, but it works very well.  The plastic container keeps your paintbrush wet between coats, and the foam around the skinny end means that it can create a nearly airtight seal around multiple paintbrush sizes.

I found this to be most handy when Joshua and I were painting his bed.


When I paint furniture, I do many, many thin coats, which means I need my brush to stay wet over a fairly long period of time.  It was super handy to be able to just put the brush into the cover, snap it shut, and leave it until the next coat.

So, I do recommend this if you do much in the way of brush painting.


They also make a roller cover, which is fairly handy, but not as useful to me as the paint brush cover.


Well, paint rollers are pretty darn soaked with paint, which means they dry much more slowly than paint brushes (which can get crusty in short order, especially outside on a warm day).

Also, I don’t do as many coats of paint on walls as I do on furniture, which means I don’t need to do the whole paint-wait-paint-wait dance as much.

Plus, when I paint with a roller, there’s a big tray of wet paint that I can just leave the roller in, and that usually works fine for me.

HOWEVER.  If I was working with an oil-based product, such as a deck sealer, I can see how this would be very handy if the project was spread over two days (I would not want to try to clean oil-based product off a roller just so I could use it again the next day.)


So, I have a few reservations about the roller cover ($6.99), but I definitely recommend the paint brush cover ($5, or less if you buy multiples).

Oh, one other small tip I forgot to share on Wednesday: If you have a small amount of paint left, instead of storing it in the paint bucket, use an old glass food jar.


A friend of mine does this (Hi, Tracy!), so I am totally borrowing the idea.

I had only a teensy bit of paint left from Joshua’s room re-do, but wanted to keep it around for touchups, so I put it in an old tomato sauce jar and wrote the brand and color name on the lid with a sharpie.

Disclosure: I am not affiliated with the paint brush cover company (they sent me their product to try out, but that’s it), so I get no kickback if you purchase one for yourself.