Homemade Yogurt Troubleshooting Guide

September 4, 2013

I regularly get emails from readers who wonder what went wrong when they tried to make yogurt, so I thought it might be helpful to put together a post detailing common mistakes. Making homemade yogurt is a fairly simple process, but there are some common things that can go wrong. If you’ve got a failed […]

59 comments Read the full article →

I started the cabinet project (sort of)

July 8, 2013

I’m painting my kitchen cabinets this summer, and I’ll take you along for the ride by posting updates as I go through the process. And at the end, I’ll do a big ol’ how-to post, sharing what worked (and what didn’t!). Before I could start on the project of painting the cabinets, I decided to […]

24 comments Read the full article →

How to get rid of black cutting board mildew

January 11, 2013

Many years ago, I got a small cutting board, sort of as a joke gift. But it’s been awfully handy to have around, and as you can see by the scars, it’s been well used. The scars weren’t bothering me, but the black mildew, which happened because I didn’t ever put any protective oil on […]

40 comments Read the full article →

How to make homemade marshmallows

November 28, 2012

When I got the DIY cookbook from America’s Test Kitchen and saw this marshmallow recipe, I knew I wanted to give it a try. I’d made marshmallows once, but that was long ago when I was a teenager. It’s not really possible to make cylindrical marshmallows at home, so these don’t look exactly like commercial […]

27 comments Read the full article →

Really, really cheap homemade bubbles

November 15, 2012

My girls are big bubble-blowing fans. And normally, we have a pretty decent stash of clearance-purchased bubbles around here. But the other day when they wanted to blow bubbles, we discovered we were running a bit low. So, I did a little googling, and found that to make homemade bubbles, most people recommend getting some […]

27 comments Read the full article →

I fixed my dryer! All by myself!

May 9, 2012

Meet my dryer. We’ve had it for about 12 years, I think. It’s not fancy, and it’s got its share of battle scars, but normally it works just fine. A few years ago, it started making dreadful sounds, and it turned out that we needed to replace some parts…we ordered a dryer repair kit from […]

60 comments Read the full article →