Stuff-Be-Gone

by Kristen on August 26, 2014 · 19 comments

in Organization

On Tuesdays and Thursdays, I post a picture and just a few words.

Not to toot my own horn (ok, that IS what I’m doing.), but I got rid of so much stuff yesterday!

goodwill donation bag

Between Goodwill and Freecycle (mostly freecycle), I gave away tons of books, a game, some toys, some clothes, an outgrown hockey stick, and more.

I listed a few things on half.com and ebay as well, one of which sold overnight and needs to be shipped today.  Yay!

Aaand, today I am dropping Joshua’s old bed off for one of my small nephews.  I’m a little sad to see it go because it’s such a great, solid bed, but I’m glad it’s at least staying in the family.  ;)

I really, really love decluttering.  And I especially love it when I can match my stuff up with someone who wants it.

(That’s why Freecycle is always my first stop.  Someone might buy my stuff at a thrift store, but Freecycle guarantees my things will go to someone who wants them.)

____________________

P.S. I made lots of great progress on my to-do list yesterday.  So maybe, just maybe, I will actually get around to helping S&Z declutter their room this week.  Hoping!

P.P.S. Did I start on my photo book?  Nooo.

1 Lee Ann August 26, 2014 at 7:22 am

That’s great. Now you can come to my house and help me!! LOL

2 K D August 26, 2014 at 7:36 am

We put a couple of furniture pieces out on Sunday with “FREE” signs on them and they were gone within a few hours, even though our street is not heavily traveled. Later that day I listed a few things on Freecycle and only one is still to be claimed. I too love Freecycle because then you know people really want your items and some people can’t afford to shop at Goodwill. I also have some of my daughter’s clothes to pass along to a friend the next time I see her. I truly believe “less is more”.

3 Battra92 August 26, 2014 at 8:19 am

How do your kids react to decluttering? Do they get a say in this?

I ask because a friend of mine’s cousin is a real hoarder (as in boxes stacked ceiling to floor full of stuff) and it was traced back in therapy to her mother getting rid of all of her stuff constantly as a child. I”m not trying to scare you or shame you, just thinking toward the future for my own proverbial future kids that may or may not happen. :-P

4 Kristen August 26, 2014 at 8:35 am

Oh, they definitely get a say! I almost never get rid of anything that belongs to them without checking first. This means that we don’t get rid of stuff as fast as I’d like because sometimes they want to hang onto things for a year or two longer than I would. BUT, I think it’s very important to recognize that children are, well, people, and that they have possessions just like we adults do.

Also, I think it’s important to teach children the skill of getting rid of things, and that won’t happen if I just do it for them. I’ve been working alongside them helping them declutter since they were small, and they are all now fairly well-practiced at figuring out what they want to get rid of.

I’ve known people who get rid of tons of their kids’ stuff without their permission and I just really do not think that’s a good idea.

5 Liz August 26, 2014 at 8:38 am

I quickly grew tired of Freecyclers in my area, because it seemed like the same ones snatched up all of the things. They would also get angry when I put limitations on my offers, to the effect of “I’m going to wait 48 hours then randomly pick someone.” This gave more people the opportunity to see an item, but made the first-comers verrrrry mad. And, not surprisingly, I rarely had the chance to grab an item myself, because I could never reply fast enough!

But I’m glad Freecycle works well for you. Local experiences may vary. :)

6 Kristen August 26, 2014 at 8:42 am

I’m sorry your group is less than fabulous! I’m sure the culture of freecycle networks does vary some. I think it’s ridiculous for someone to be upset with you for how you decided to give away your stuff. I mean, it’s YOURS and you are completely free to decide how you want to give it away.

7 Deb @ Saving the Crumbs August 26, 2014 at 8:40 am

I have to agree with you….decluttering must be one of the best feelings in the world! :-) And thanks for the info about Freecycle, what a wonderful concept that our unnecessary stuff can be a blessing to someone else. Hopefully we can put it to use too!

8 MomOfThree August 26, 2014 at 8:43 am

Yay! Just reading your post makes me feel clean all over

9 Laura Vanderkam August 26, 2014 at 9:14 am

How does the freecycle transfer process work? Do they come get it? Has this ever been an issue? We had shied away from listing our moving boxes on Craigslist because of being slightly wary of the random-person-coming-to-your-house concept. Not that addresses are ever really private, I suppose. I listed the boxes on a private email list and someone knew a college student who wanted them.

10 Kristen August 26, 2014 at 9:40 am

Yup, people just come and get your stuff. As long as it’s not something huge, I just leave it out on the front stoop (a porch pickup, they call it). Super easy.

You only give the address to the person who actually agrees to come and get your stuff. And honestly, it’s not like they know anything about you except that you’re giving away item X. They have no more access to your personal information that someone who is just driving down the street and sees your address, except that they have your email address (which does not have to include any personal info if you don’t want it to.)

And yeah, addresses are not particularly private unless you take steps to make them so. With just your first and last name, it takes about 5 seconds to find your address and photos of your house (try it! ;) ) So, you’re sharing more information with a larger audience by signing your name on your writing projects than you would be by posting on freecycle or craigslist.

11 K D August 26, 2014 at 11:41 am

I always specify porch pick-up. I don’t use my real name on my Freecycle account, but as Kristen says there’s not much private in the world these days.

12 KimN August 26, 2014 at 10:59 am

I LOVE decluttering! In our neighborhood we have what I call, “freecycle without the effort”. We live in a lower income area and if you put it out at the curb, its a guarantee someone will pick it up within the hour.

13 Stephanie August 26, 2014 at 2:34 pm

Fabulous! I listed our old dining room table on Craigslist and it sold for the full asking price. I WAS ON TOP OF THE WORLD. :) A pile of other stuff went to Goodwill.

14 Frugal Paragon August 26, 2014 at 3:47 pm

I feel the same way about Freecycle! I love knowing that someone actually has it. Don’t get me wrong, I love Goodwill, too, and shop there often (there’s a nice one in biking distance of my house), but Freecycle is better for some things. My favorite Freecycling experience was a bassinet that I picked up through FC, used for three months, then re-listed when baby outgrew it. Let’s keep it moving, people! :-)

15 Tammy August 26, 2014 at 4:45 pm

Lately I have been using my curb as my own “Freecycle”. I just stick things on the curb, and usually within 24 hours they are GONE! Just within a few weeks I’ve gotten rid of two suitcases, a horrible vacuum cleaner, and a bunch of old light fixtures that were up in our attic. I love getting rid of stuff, but I don’t like the hassle of Freecycle, and only use it if what I’m getting rid of is too small to put on the curb.

16 Diane C August 26, 2014 at 9:10 pm

Sorry, I can’t get behind people who advocate putting random stuff out on the curb UNLESS they leave it out for a very brief period, say 24 hours max. I hate it when people put out skanky stuff and leave it there endlessly. Watching crap deteriorate day after day just makes me sad and cranky.

OTOH, I volunteer at our library’s book sales. Lately, we’ve been giving away duplicate books on freecycle. It’s a win-win. Some people get free books and everyone learns about the upcoming sale at the library.

17 Kristen August 26, 2014 at 9:16 pm

But if it’s a neighborhood like the one my reader lives in, where things get taken really promptly, I see no issue with taking that route. Easy peasy and someone is happy to get what you wanted to get rid of!

18 Katie August 27, 2014 at 1:08 pm

I love curb finds! I’ve gotten a nice rocking chair, coffee table, bookshelves, and more from the curb in my neighborhood. Last week a neighbor put a bunch of Little Tikes toys out on the curb and I brought them home, bleached ‘em, and my kids were thrilled. When I have things I no longer use, I set them out at the curb and they’re usually gone within a few hours. If it’s still there by the end of the day, I’ll stick it in my garage and put it back out the next day. Scrappers drive through our neighborhood several times a week too, and they pick up old microwaves, lamps, and any other metal stuff to sell at the metal recycling center in my town.

19 Leesha @ Living Contently August 28, 2014 at 10:27 am

I am the same way! Whether I’m planning to get rid of just a few things or doing a major clean out, it always ends up being an “addictive” process where once I get started, I can’t stop. It’s so nice getting things cleaned out and sending them on to be used by others. :)