Seven Meals

Once a month, I usually post a grocery photo, give an update on my average weekly spending for the year, and share a week’s worth of meals at our house.

This month, all I have is the meals.  Because…bedroom project!  And lice!

But photos are the most interesting part of meal posts, right??  And I do have those.

Some of these photos are from the week that wasn’t my favorite, so they’re not exactly super exciting or creative or vegetable-filled.  But I wasn’t really operating at full capacity, and honestly, I’m just pleased we didn’t end up eating out.

Grilled Sausages

(with salad and potato cubes)

grilled sausages

Pizza Subs

I basically make these the same way I make pizza bagels.  Very, very easy.

pizza subs

Buttermilk Waffles

(With bacon and Orange Julius)

buttermilk waffles

Pan-Sauteed Tilapia

(with corn muffins and strawberry salad)

sauteed tilapia

Pulled Pork Sandwiches on Fluffy Hamburger Buns

This is a recipe from America’s Test Kitchen’s new book, The Make Ahead Cook. (not an affiliate link)  I’ll do an actual review of it a little later on, and I believe I get to do a giveaway as well!

Pulled Pork

Chicken Cacciatore

(also from The Make Ahead Cook)

(with sauteed green beans and corn from our local produce box)

chicken cacciatore

Chicken Quesadillas

(with guacamole, pico de gallo, and watermelon)

chicken quesadillas

Next month, I promise I’ll have a grocery report to go along with the meals.  ;)

Comments

1. Petrina says

Beautiful pics! I love the idea of simple food but plating it well. Healthy food doesn’t have to take hours to prepare but you make it look like it did.

And we have one daughter (12 now) and dealt with lice 6 years ago (the year she went to school), YIKES!! You are a good mama to have made food at at all. Getting rid of those guys was like a full time job;)

2. SheB says

I can’t wait for the review of this book since I thought about buying it! Did you make these ahead? There was another book review you promised awhile ago and I was looking forward to that one as well but I forgot the title.

3. Jen says

Okay-I’m giggling! Are those “grilled sausages”-hot dogs?? :-) My dad used to call them “tube steaks”. Happy Weekend!

• Kristen says

No, no, they really are sausages…you know those packs of chicken sausages they stock near the bratwurst at grocery stores?

I like bratwurst and such, but hot dogs are really not a big favorite of mine (and actually, no one else in my house really loves them either!)

4. Amanda says

I’ve always wondered…are the plates of dinner you photograph representative of how much food your kids would eat at a meal? Or do you just put an attractive amount of food on the plate for the picture?

How’s that for a question you only get when you have a blog? :)

• Kristen says

It depends…I definitely do consider what looks good on the plate, but someone in our family does eat off the plate I photograph. Depending on who it is, they might eat more than what’s on the plate or they might not. For instance, Joshua eats more than one pulled pork sandwich, but Sonia doesn’t. And Joshua could eat all the quesadillas on the plate, but that would be too large a helping for Sonia or Zoe.

And of course, anyone is allowed to eat as much as they want, even if I end up putting too little on the plate at first.

• Amanda says

Makes sense. My six year old just eats a crazy amount of food. He gets his metabolism from his dad, I guess. I’m scared for when he’s a teenager!

It’s great that with being a busy mom (and having such a lousy week) you’re still able to make most of your food from scratch. We do that as much as we can too since it’s healthier, tastier, and cheaper, but we don’t have four kids (or even one)! :-)

6. laura says

I would say that you held yourself together pretty well during those hard days! Those meals look amazing! I know that I couldn’t have done that well :) Way to go Kristen!

• Kristen says

Yeah, my CI baking book is like that too. The new cookbook has color photos of almost every recipe, which I do love dearly. It’s so much easier to choose a recipe when there’s a photo.

(says she who is visually oriented!)