Three Things for a Wednesday

One

allowance for kids

I don’t do tend to do much guest posting (this here blog keeps me pretty busy!) but I just wrote a post for Mint.com about how we handle allowance here at Chez Frugal Girl.

Two

I got an email letting me know that the Starfish Project, an organization that helps exploited women, is having a 50% off of a $50 purchase sale now through July 15th.

I haven’t ordered anything from them yet, but they have some really lovely jewelry, and it’s a great cause, so if you’re in the market, go check ‘em out!

summersalesquarelogo (18 of 32) (3)

I really love this starfish necklace.  Simple and beautiful.

This floating pearl necklace is lovely too.

(I’m not currently affiliated with Starfish Project.  Just letting you know about the sale and the cause!)

Three

_____________________________________

Make a salute to financial independence!

360 Savings®: Grab $76 when you open a 360 Savings® account.

Offer details:

• This has to be the primary account holder’s first 360 Savings account and it needs a $500 minimum deposit.
• The bonus starts earning interest on day 1, but you can’t take it out for at least 30 days.

360 Checking®: Earn $100 when you open a 360 Checking® account.

Offer details:
Sign up for fee-free 360 Checking®, make 5 Debit Card purchases or 5 mobile deposits with CheckMateSM within 45 days and snag a cool $100 on day 50.
• This has to be your and your joint account holder’s (if you have one) first 360 Checking account.
• Open 360 Checking from June 30th – July 3rd and make a total of 5 Debit Card purchases or 5
CheckMate(SM) deposits or any combination of the two within 45 days.
• Your $100 bonus will be automatically deposited into your account on day 50.
• Rates are variable. Annual Percentage Yields (APY) are effective 6/30/2014

Disclosure: I’m happy to be affiliated with Capital One 360.  I’ve been a customer since their doors opened back in 2001 as ING Direct, I can honestly and enthusiastically recommend their accounts, and I know that they always make good on their bonus payments.

Comments

1. Marianne says

I signed up when you posted back in the ING days. Their web page was super funny back in the ING day. I keep my monthly grocery spending money in that account.

2. Kat says

I loved the tips on allowance. This has been a. Hit topic between me and my sisters. How do you determine an amount for allowance?

• Kristen says

Well, we don’t have a very specific system. We’re sort of figuring it out as we go.

Really helpful, I know.

• Lythrum says

I decided on $1 for every year old that my daughter is for her allowance. She is six now so she gets $6 a week for allowance. As she gets older, I plan on having her cover more of her own expenses as her allowance increases.

That $76 is tempting, but I have a similar Ally account that I’ve been really happy with.

I liked your post about the monthly money e-mail! I might have to try that. We usually exchange a few sentences about our situation after Mr. FP pays the bills, but it would be nice to be more specific. Or maybe I will do like thegoblinchief does–write it up for my blog, and let him look at that!

4. Susanna says

I got in on ING back in 2001 or close to then – only had to put in $10 then to get $25 – it’s higher now but still free money and I really do like their savings accounts- this past year I opened more savings accounts to prepay for thing like long term care insurance, property taxes, friend’s kid’s Christmas spending money(yes he’s major LOL!), HOA monthly dues for townhome, and am trying a reverse savings plan I saw in a blog online somewhere (am doing the person’s kid version for my friend’s kid’s Christmas fund), plus I have a general unmarked savings. a couple of years ago I took advantage of the checking account bonus though I haven’t been using the account after doing the required debit purchases.

nice article on the savings – we had allowances as kids up through high school but I don’t recall how much. seems like it was enough we could blow it on a book or couple of magazines each week or save for something else- we weren’t taught to divide it though but sorta learned that on our own as pretty much the only time we got extras were at Christmas and birthdays and both of us had near Christmas birthdays – mine on the 22nd and my brother a month after -and of course back to school clothes/.supplies in august or September otherwise we made do with our allowances. sometimes we could borrow a bit but it wasn’t a guarantee and often the answer was no unless parents agreed something was a good deal and it wasn’t too frequent. my friend’s kid is 6 now and she and her hubby still haven’t figured out a system yet- for a while she had a chore chart and would buy stuff her kid liked and keep it on top of the fridge and he could earn what he wanted but often he wouldnt’ complete the chores and interest would waver a bit until he saw the item and decided to get with it. they both stink with managing money themselves so not likely they’re gonna be able to teach the little guy anything other than to guard his piggy bank. :-( so far I haven’t tried since I think it’s overstepping my bounds but I’ve come close to getting him some of dave ramsey’s kid stuff esp when they were intersested in the adult course.luckily he’s not a very materialistic kid htough thanks to school and peers he’s learning quick. How much allowance do you think is good for a kid? enough left in the spending category to buy something small each week? maybe $10 to divide between the 3 categories for a 6 yr old?

5. SandyH says

I also signed up with ing because of the bonus over a year ago, and just a FYI: the bonus was deposited in my account WELL before the 45-day period…awesome!! I have checking and savings with them, and I’m mulling whether or not to open another checking, for the bonus. Neither account is my ” main” account, and just don’t know if I need another.

6. WilliamB says

A question about allowance: I agree about the no debt bit, but what if the kid has enough money, but not just on him right now? Me, I think I would find that a reasonable accommodation (albeit hypothetical for me), but I’m interested in what others think.

• Lythrum says

If I know that my daughter has the money I will cover it for her and she will pay me as soon as we get back home. I’m not a huge stickler when it comes to that, because I always know how much allowance she has. Part of our allowance ritual is that when I give it to her I have her pull out her change purse and count to see how much she has.

• Denise says

I loan my kids money and they pay me back when we get home. But I also have them pay me back if I can get what they need at a discount with my Target card (I pay it off every month). Occasionally my son — who is a saver loans me cash when I need to send field trip money to school.

• Kristen says

Oh, if they don’t have it on them at the moment, we have no problem spotting them. They just pay us back when we get home.

7. Linda Sand says

We also did not tie allowance to chores. Everyone does chores because we are all part of the family. And everyone gets an allowance (including Mom & Dad) because we are all part of the family. We did not pay for extra work, either, because Mom & Dad don’t get paid when they need to do something extra. Sometimes extra things just need to get done to keep the family functioning. And it feels good to help the family.

I’ve had a savings account for many years (ING) but just transferred some into a checking account today and will snag that $100—thanks for the tip.
    The jewelry looks nice, but not sure the quality…I’ll wait for a review from someone, I’ve been burned before buying cheap-ish jewelry online.

• Kristen says

Excellent! So glad you’re getting yourself a bonus.

I’m getting the starfish necklace, and I’ll let you know how the quality is once I’ve worn it a bit.

9. Sasha Cannon says

So, how do you go around the requirement from Capital One that it must be your 1st 360 Savings (or checking for the $100 deal) account?