For tea sandwiches

by Kristen on June 10, 2014 · 22 comments

in Photos

On Tuesdays and Thursdays, I post a picture and just a few words.

pampered chef bread tubes

When I was a teenager, I bought a set of shaped bread tubes after I attended a Pampered Chef party.

(Because, you know, that’s totally normal teenage behavior.)

I used them a little more when I had time to bake just for fun, but every now and again, I pull them out because they make bread that is perfect for little open-face sandwiches.

I still have not quite mastered the art of filling them evenly enough to prevent spillage, though. (It’s a little bit complicated, because the star mold can hold less dough than the other two shapes.)

Anyway, every time I make these, at least one of the loaves rises so much while it’s baking, the lid pops off and carries some dough with it.  Which is actually ok, because there’s always someone around who wants to snack on the renegade bread.  ;)

_________________________

I’m not sure if Pampered Chef sells these anymore (it looks like they’re discontinued), but Norpro makes a set that looks a lot like mine.  And I see some Pampered Chef branded version are also available on Amazon.

1 Tracey Hand June 10, 2014 at 7:39 am

Oh, they are wonderful!
They’d be great for children’s parties and suchlike.

They obviously appealed to the baker in you, even in your teens :D

2 Gail June 10, 2014 at 8:12 am

Wish I could have known someone like you when I was a kid –you were born too late for it to have been you!– and bought cookbooks with birthday money.
These bread tubes beat the cookie cutter method I used to use to encourage my kids to eat their lunches. Maybe a good idea for the granddaughters. Thanks.

3 Liz June 10, 2014 at 8:12 am

My “totally normal” teenager self adored her cookie press, with discs for every occasion. I would have loved to have tried these canape molds!

4 Mary June 10, 2014 at 8:23 am

Yep, I had those as well. I loved making cute appetizers and sandwiches. I have purchased my fair share of Pampered Chef products over the years.

5 Tammy June 10, 2014 at 9:22 am

I bought a set of mini tart pans at a thrift store when I was a teenager. I just pulled them out a few weeks ago to make some tarts. It’s been a while since I’ve used them, but they’re the kind of thing that is fun to have and doesn’t take up much space to store.

6 Susanna June 10, 2014 at 9:25 am

good thing I never went to one of these as a teen! I LOVED cookbooks – my mom and grandma were the same but none of us every really cooked from them because my dad and grandma’s husband and at the time esp us kids weren’t adventurous though I would have tried it if I’d made it LOL! but we loved cookbooks and cooking stuff. I’m 47 so the biggie during my years was Tupperware! my mom had lots of that stuff then got rid of most then started picking it up at estate/yard/garage sales.
these bread tuebes are soooo cute! gonna have to see if they still sell them LOL!

7 Lili@creativesavv June 10, 2014 at 9:54 am

I see these shaped bread pans at garage sales from time to time. They do look fun!

8 Deb @ Saving the Crumbs June 10, 2014 at 10:26 am

Cute! But I think what I like best about them, is that you don’t have the waste of cutting out the crust with cookie cutters. We’re all about “saving the crumbs”, especially big crumbs like that! =)

9 Lisa June 10, 2014 at 11:05 am

Hi, I have these bread tubes and would love your recipe and tips for getting the dough in there and then getting the dough out so nicely. My bread never looks like that, but I love the idea of those tubes and still have them.
Thanks! Love your blog.
Lisa

10 Kristen June 10, 2014 at 11:13 am

I just spray my tubes and lids with cooking spray, and then when the loaves are done, I kind of shake them so they come out the bottom end. Do you bake yours upright? If you bake them on their sides, they won’t be so nicely shaped.

11 Lisa June 11, 2014 at 9:40 am

I do bake them upright but never use cooking spray. I never use it, I have an oil atomizer. I don’t like the residue from cooking sprays and it’s hard to clean; I can only imagine what it does to my insides. I may have to break my own rule if that’s the only thing that will work. Thank you for responding.

12 Linda in Mass June 15, 2014 at 8:30 am

Spray them with oil really well and they should just slid out when slightly cooled.

13 Stacey June 10, 2014 at 11:13 am

Yes, please tell us which bread recipe you used and how much dough to put in. I was given the Pampered Chef set years ago and never had the guts to try it. I think it would be fun to make little sandwiches for outdoor picnics with the shaped bread.

14 Kylene June 10, 2014 at 11:47 am

You can find these pretty regularly at the thrift store. Glad to finally know what I could use them for.

15 Katy Wolk-Stanley June 10, 2014 at 1:16 pm

I see these at garage sales and Goodwill all the time.

16 Jen Y June 10, 2014 at 8:38 pm

How can you post this & not post a pick of your finished sandwiches? Please do a follow up post!

17 Linda June 10, 2014 at 8:47 pm

I too see those molds “ALL the time” when I’m at the thrift stores.

18 Kimberly Yue June 11, 2014 at 8:17 am

That is absolutely adorable! I think I might have to stalk ebay to find them. It might encourage my picky daughter to bring sandwiches to school ;-)

19 Kristen @ Joyfullythriving June 12, 2014 at 11:14 pm

Love it! I attended my first Pampered Chef party when I was a teenager as well. I bought one of the measuring cups that works best for peanut butter – as well as liquids and solids. I’m still using my purchase today, as well!

20 Kristen June 13, 2014 at 8:25 am

Well, we have more in common than just our names, then! ;)

21 Katie | The Surly Housewife June 14, 2014 at 1:17 am

Holy cat! I think I went to a pampered chef party as a teen! I think the mom I babysat for threw it, but still! I had totally forgotten about that.

22 Linda in Mass June 15, 2014 at 8:21 am

I have been selling Pampered Chef for 16 years. I love those bread tubes. We do not sell them anymore. When my kids were younger, I would make bread in them and make little sandwiches for birthday parties. All the kids loved them!