Food Waste Friday | Saving asparagus. And lettuce. And tomato sauce.

by Kristen on May 9, 2014 · 12 comments

in Food Waste Friday

Every week, I post a picture of the food that has gone bad over the last seven days. Why do I do this? Because in March of 2008, I finally got fed up with the amount of food I was wasting, and I thought that showing my waste to other people would motivate me to use up my food instead of wasting it. Because this often embarrassing practice was so helpful for me, I invited other bloggers to join me in posting their food waste photos, and Food Waste Friday was born.

So, I did pretty well.

moldy lime

Not too shabby.

Some wins?

-I threw together a bunch of random tomato sauce/puree from my freezer to make pink sauce to go on ravioli.

IMG_0728-001

-I grilled some asparagus that had been in my fridge for a shockingly long time.  I kept meaning to cook it and then I’d forget, and amazingly enough, only a spear or two got wilty.

-I hacked up the ends of several heads of romaine to make a strawberry green salad. (Except I used apples instead of pears because that’s what I had on hand!)

How did you do this week? If you blogged about your food waste, link us up by entering your info into the widget below. You’ll save money, reduce your trash output, and get a little publicity for your blog! And if you don’t blog, you can still share about your food waste by leaving a comment.

Those of you who participate in Food Waste Friday can now grab a fancy-schmancy button to perk up your posts. If you copy and paste the following code into your Food Waste Friday post, this little graphic will appear.

FoodWasteFriday

If you blog on WordPress, just make sure you’re in html mode when you copy and paste the code, or it won’t work properly.

1 WilliamB May 9, 2014 at 7:29 am

Not a great week. Three losses:
1) Half a head of romaine, which just metastasized on me.
2) 3-4 c. repurposed tomato sauce. It started life as mushy spaghetti squash + onion ragu (a CI developmental recipe) that didn’t work out. I saved half the batch by pureeing it and using it in soup. The other half, well,… didn’t make it.
3) About 1/4 container of raspberries. I assume I’ll lose a few berries, this was more than that. What happened here is I got the older purchase confused with a newer one so lost a few more than I should have.

OTOH – Uber Super Save: 43 bananas for $2!
My store had a box of battered bananas out. I thought a worker was using it to dump what couldn’t be sold actually it was out for sale. For $2! I figured I could get at least $2 worth of bananas from that sad, bruised pile and the rest, at least, would be composted rather than thrown out. By the time I’d sorted, peeled, and frozen the bounty I had 43 usable bananas. I’ve already made 2 batches banana bread and two sets of smoothies & smoothie pops.

Save:
I put some elderly spinach in the smoothie and discovered that it is, indeed, true that while you can see the green, you can’t taste it.

2 WilliamB May 9, 2014 at 10:32 am

Hannah’s post reminded me of
4) 1/2 lb mushrooms.

:-<

3 Jen May 9, 2014 at 12:10 pm

Score! I would be seriously happy over the banana win!

4 Jo@simplybeingmum May 9, 2014 at 8:23 am

I actually purchased extra food to make a save this week. 3 leeks have saved 3 potatoes! And it’s the simplest save ever…In fact it’s a souper save! (ignore me – in a stange mood this afternoon – finding myself way funnier than I actually am!)
Have a great waste-free weekend everyone!

5 Debbie May 9, 2014 at 9:54 am

I love that you have little bits of things like tomato sauce/paste in the freezer just like me. I always imagine people would be floored if they saw the tiny bits of gravy or mashed potatoes, etc. in my freezer! Nice to not be alone in my frugality. The only thing wasted this week can be blamed on my stupid fancy crock pot. I made beautifully rich turkey broth yesterday, and decided to put another half pot of water in with the bones again and see if I could get more broth with it overnight. Well, I should really find/read the instruction manual for this crock pot at some point, as it decides to shut itself off for seemingly random reasons. Woke up to a cold pot this morning, so I guess I’d better play it safe and huck those turkey bits/bones and veggies. Makes me sad!

6 Hannah @ eat, drink, and save money May 9, 2014 at 9:59 am

No food has been wasted yet! We also ate some food that had been in the fridge for a very long time. I assume that if it smells good and isn’t slimy then it is a win, right? We ate some mushrooms that had been in for over a week and I was surprised that they were still fresh!

7 Bella May 9, 2014 at 9:59 am

Hello
I have follow your blog for over a year now,and every Friday,I wonder the same question.
Why don’t you have some chickens ,no more food waste ,very little time and money investment and great eggs year round.
Between my dogs and the chicken ,we never have any food that not fully use.
Maybe that’s for question Monday.
Bye

8 Kristen May 9, 2014 at 9:12 pm

Well, I’m not sure I have the space for them or the time/energy to take care of them. :)

9 Rebecca May 9, 2014 at 7:06 pm

Not a good week for me. Husband out of town, so two servings of soup made it in the trash along with some old rice and a funky broken egg. Lost some orange slices to the compost bin. The good news is I didn’t grocery shop last week and just ate what was here, so while I had some waste this week, I didn’t spend extra money. :/

10 Karen. May 10, 2014 at 12:52 pm

So, my two-year-old figured out how to freeze the fridge. I think that’s bad news … ? But the only thing lost this round was a grapefruit that was getting past its prime anyway.

It was my fault for pushing the part jar of pizza sauce to the back and forgetting about it, though. And I also put a casserole in the oven while we made a quick trip to take my husband to the tractor and back, but then I agreed to let a kid ride with him a bit, so it was pretty brown when we got home. Edible, but the second set of leftovers were not appealing. Thank goodness for the dog!

Wins? On Tuesday I bought a bag of “overripe” bananas that were by no means overripe — 28 cents a pound, perhaps four pounds — and they are already all gone. This is completely abnormal! I’m almost always freezing a few. Also, discovered that one of the gallons of milk I bought Tuesday was also dated Tuesday, but it was still fine this morning (Saturday) so it is becoming yogurt as I type.

11 Beth May 11, 2014 at 12:54 am

You inspired me to freeze and smoothify the following:
-less-than-flavorful watermelon
-roasted butternut squash
-browning/squishy grapes
They literally blend right in with delicious bananas and berries!

12 Kristen May 12, 2014 at 6:53 am

Whoa, I’d never have thought of putting squash in. Go you!!