Randomness.

by Kristen on March 7, 2014 · 20 comments

in Miscellany

• I’m sure a lot of you have seen these, but if you haven’t taken a peek at Elena Shumilova’s awesome photographs, you should. The ones of the huge dog and the little boy kill me.  I saw them a few weeks ago, but a reader just sent me the link yesterday, and I enjoyed scrolling through them again.
  • This book: A Beautiful Mess arrived on my library hold shelf, and I am dying to dig into it.  So. Excited.
  • The mango salsa I shared on instagram the other day is basically like this one from Nom Nom Paleo, except I didn’t add any avocado (because mine weren’t ripe.)

thefrugalgirl on Instagram

• While I’m sharing links to stuff I’ve posted on instagram…here’s how to make the turtle rolls (I had to look it up on my blog because I usually only make these once a year, on Sonia’s birthday!).
  • And here’s the recipe for the ice cream crunch cake she requested on her birthday.  This photo is a chocolate-vanilla cake, but Sonia had chocolate moose tracks ice cream on the bottom and coffee ice cream on top.  You can really  pick almost any ice cream flavors you want as long as they go with peanut butter and chocolate.

• I’ve been slowly working on adding some little clickable graphics on the sidebar so that you guys can find things like recipes more easily.

The Frugal Girl

• I’ve been so good at using up my bananas, I haven’t had to make any banana chocolate chip muffins in ages.  But I currently have three bananas that are prime candidates for becoming muffins.
  • Lisey and I need to make this, I think.  It’s beautiful and it involves Nutella, so…
  • I’ve made these sweet potatoes several times, and I think they’re really tasty.  The sweet potato haters in my family still kind of dislike them, but feel this recipe is the most palatable way I’ve found to serve them.  So, you know, high praise.

(Ok, it does stink to lose an hour, but there’s nothing I can do about it, so I might as well enjoy the upsides.)

I think that’s all the randomness that I’ve got for you this Friday morning.  Have a lovely weekend, dear readers.

And don’t forget to change your clocks!

_____________________

P.S. FWF is at Simply Being Mum.

1 Michelle March 7, 2014 at 8:00 am

You need to add an instagram link!!

2 Kristen March 7, 2014 at 8:22 am

You mean in my sidebar? I should look into getting some social media buttons or somethin’….

My instagram handle is thefrugalgirl and the link is this: http://instagram.com/thefrugalgirl#

3 Gladys March 7, 2014 at 8:08 am

Kristen, you’re so awesome. I’ll try to make ice cream crunch cake, looks yummylicious!

4 Theresa March 7, 2014 at 8:17 am

Hi Kristen – That Nutella bread looks amazning. Please do try it and let us see the results. As for Chicken Tortilla soup, this one is my go-to: http://bakedbree.com/creamy-chicken-tortilla-soup . And on the Food Waste front, an epic save of grass fed London Broil – original dinner was meh, not much flavor. Enter this for the save of 1.5 lbs of beef: http://damndelicious.net/2013/10/05/pf-changs-mongolian-beef-copycat-recipe/ (Sorry about the title of the blog! :-( ) Disappeared in record time!

5 Kristen March 7, 2014 at 8:24 am

Oooh, creamy! I love all of the creamy things in the world, so I’m gonna have to give that a try.

6 victoria March 7, 2014 at 8:18 am

I have really got to try that ice cream cake, it looks amazing. I make one the kids like that is sort of a cheater one, it uses ice cream sandwiches, and then the middle is made with whipping creme, pudding, and crushed oreos.

7 crystal f. March 7, 2014 at 10:02 am

I love A Beautiful Mess! Their book is great and their website is even better.
Nom Nom Paleo is another favorite of mine, can’t go wrong with her recipes.

8 Katie @ The Surly Housewife March 7, 2014 at 10:17 am

I haven’t seen those photos before. Thanks for sharing!

9 WilliamB March 7, 2014 at 11:40 am

I have to go out of my way to get bananas suitable for bread or smoothies. Last shopping trip I combined many virtues in my quest for such bananas: not only did I buy the oldest-looking ones, but I bought the singles so they wouldn’t go bad and get thrown out. As it happens, the singles are more likely to be older anyway.

And … virtue was rewarded. The cashier charged me only 1/3 of the usual price, because such distressed bananas should be discounted.

10 Kristen March 7, 2014 at 12:36 pm

I bow to your awesomeness.

11 KT March 7, 2014 at 5:43 pm

Kristen, it wasn’t until I read your earlier post that I learned that single bananas are usually discarded. I had no idea. Now that’s all I buy. I LOVE bananas!

12 Susan March 7, 2014 at 12:01 pm

Your blog has the best grammar and spelling of all that I read. Most of the bloggers have a real problem with homophones. Have a great weekend. I’m going to try those sweet potatoes!

13 Alice March 7, 2014 at 3:50 pm

A typo? How could yuo? ;)
Those photos are truly magical. I had seen them before, but I loved seeing them again. I think I hold my breath as I scroll through them, I feel a bit lightheaded.
I hadn’t seen Elsie’s new book, thanks for sharing that. I first saw her in scrapbooking, and that was very inspiring, I’m sure this book will be fantastic.
Thanks for the assortment of randomness, always love these posts!

14 Lorraine March 7, 2014 at 4:42 pm

The Elena Shumilova photos are amazing. Thanks for sharing.

15 Liz March 7, 2014 at 9:01 pm

I like to mix up the root vegetables in my casserole/gratin recipes. This time around, I used about 1:1 sweet to regular potatoes, layering them like a ‘lasagna’ with mushrooms and ham between potato slice layers. A little cream, baked for a while… then add some cheese to get all melty toward the end. Delicious!

(Sometimes I’ll use parsnip and carrot, too.)

16 Vicki March 8, 2014 at 12:27 am

I really enjoy your blog! To too enjoy all things and the to be as frugal as possible!!! Thank you for posting the links to your recipes, that is on my “to do” list this weekend is to get in the kitchen and try something new!

I am new to the blogging world and you can view my blog Sweet Tea N’ Sunshine on Facebook or at http://www.sweetteansunshine.com

Looking forward to reading more posts!

17 Elizabeth | Ready. Set. Simplify. March 8, 2014 at 1:11 am

Your Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe is the best! The sweet potato recipe looks good. My favorite sweet potato recipe is this one for oven fries: http://www.instructables.com/id/Perfect-Oven-Sweet-Potato-Fries/

18 Laura March 9, 2014 at 11:34 pm

Do you ever put bananas in oatmeal? I’m not much of a
Baker but my favorite think to do with slightly overripe bananas is to cook them with oatmeal. I use one small banana for every cup of uncooked oats.

19 Randi March 13, 2014 at 11:28 pm

Its actually daylight SAVING time. We’re saving daylight, not savings daylight.

20 Kristen March 18, 2014 at 4:47 pm

In my area, the phrase “daylight savings” is very common and I wondered if it might be a regional thing. I was curious, so I looked it on Wikipedia, and it just said that “daylight savings” is a commonly used variation. :)

“Although daylight saving time is considered to be correct, daylight savings time (with an “s”) is commonly used.[128] The form daylight saving time uses the present participle saving as an adjective, as in labour saving device; the first two words are sometimes hyphenated, as in daylight-saving time. The common variants daylight savings time and daylight savings use savings by analogy to savings account. Daylight time is also common.[129]“