For $2.38, I figured it was worth a shot.

by Kristen on March 6, 2014 · 25 comments

in Photos

The other night when Mr. FG and I were out on a date, we stopped in at Target (because we do very exciting things on our date nights. Don’t be jealous, k?), and I found this little planner on the clearance rack.

clearance calendar at Target

I’m prone to making to-do lists on scrap paper, which seems to be ever-present at our house (and which I use to write notes to Mr. FG!), but for $2.38, I figured I could give the whole official-planner thing a try.

Of course, two months of the year were nearly gone when I bought it, but again with the $2.38 thing…what did I have to lose?

So far, I like it, but I’ve only been using it for a week or two, which means it might be too early to tell.

1 Courtney B March 6, 2014 at 7:16 am

I but this same planner every year, for the last 5 or so years, and I really like it. Not too big, easy to manage the info I put in it, and cheap! I have kept my old ones and they are fun to flip through because I have gotten married and had 2 children in the last 5 years. So it is neat to remember what we were doing during those prep days!

2 Courtney B March 6, 2014 at 7:17 am

I meant buy not but!

3 Bethany March 6, 2014 at 7:44 am

I have the same planner too! I love it! It is easy to carry around if necessary (though not all the time since its the size of a notebook) but I also love hanging it on my fridge.

4 Valerie March 6, 2014 at 7:55 am

You already have one in your smartphone. I use Google calendar (I have an Android), it took a while to remember but it is s whole lot easier to just whip out my phone while I am at the dentist/doctor or where ever I am, since I have my phone with me.
I guess there are those that are really good at lists and whatnot (there are apps for lists too) I’m not one of them. Plus I don’t have to carry a book around with me and I always have my phone with me.

5 SandyH March 6, 2014 at 8:07 am

Yes I haven’t written a paper grocery list in two years I bet. I use “Notes” in my iPhone. Keeps my purse neater, plus, I have all my menus for the week right there on my phone, because sometimes I’ll be darned if I can remember what I bought certain ingredients for… Embarrassing but true. I’ll write WHERE the recipe is (bookmarked on iPad, my own card file, whatever) next to the name of the dish.

6 Kristen March 6, 2014 at 8:44 am

I am just such a diehard paper person. I’ve tried using things like Google calendar before, and man, it just doesn’t work as well for me as a paper list.

Maybe once I get more comfortable with my phone, I’ll switch, but for now it just seems way easier to write stuff down in a notebook!

7 Battra92 March 6, 2014 at 9:21 am

I am the same way. My father in law has to pull out his iPhone, unlock it, find the app, open it and then start typing. I get out my notebook and pen and done.

8 Kathy M March 6, 2014 at 8:03 am

I would be lost without mine. I know everyone is going tech on me with apps and lists on phone but I think I will always prefer the paper. Enjoy!

9 Gina March 6, 2014 at 8:15 am

I am addicted to using my planner and making lists. I save the kids’ old notebooks from the school year and use up all the blank pages before they go into the recycling bin! For my planner I go all fancy schmancy with Erin Condren. I figure I am CEO of my home, I have to have the right tools. (: And I loooove Target and their clearance stuff…

10 Dawn March 6, 2014 at 8:23 am

That’s a great price for the planner, & there’s still plenty of 2014 left for you to get your value out of it. Yay!

I’m a paper sort of girl, myself. As my kids have got older, it helps having a centralized place where things get written down. It’s easy for me to say, “Go write it in the planner.” I’m still one of those who don’t have a smartphone, but I do have a computer, and try as I might, I just couldn’t make the switch to planning and list writing on the computer. Paper and pencil for me. The key is doing what works for you, whichever you prefer.

11 WilliamB March 6, 2014 at 9:19 am

Paper accessible to all, seems more suited to a multi-person household. Everyone can see/add to the calendar on the wall or the shopping list that way.

12 Dawn March 6, 2014 at 9:49 am

Exactly! The planner saves me from such things as having to answer four times, “What’s for supper?” The grocery list on the fridge is everyone’s responsibility. Bring something up from the pantry? Use the last of something? Need something for school? Write it on the list. Sometimes things slip by, but for the most part this system is a lifesaver for us.

13 Barb @ 1SentenceDiary March 6, 2014 at 12:03 pm

For us, paper in the kitchen was a disaster. My husband and I both work outside the home, so we were constantly trying to remember what was on the calendar, or to add something to the calendar when we got home. It was terrible.

We switched to Google calendar, evenf or the kids (teenagers). Each of us has our own calendar, but we can see each other’s. We can all see the calendars on our phones or computers (or my work iPad), wherever we are. Anyone can add something to the calendar whether in the dentist’s office or anywhere else.

I think a paper calendar can really only work if there’s only one person who basically keeps it. Since we have multiple people with varying schedules, we find Google Calendar works great for us.

14 Battra92 March 6, 2014 at 9:19 am

I’m a Moleskine-type notebook kind of guy myself. I know they aren’t particularly frugal but I like them and they work well with my fountain pens.

15 Tracy March 6, 2014 at 11:25 am

Date night at target…hahaha. We used to go to Lowes once a week which I deemed “date night”. Got to know the workers really good too. We’d walk in and they would say ” hi…date night again”? I felt like Norm on Cheers when he walks into the bar.

16 Laura Vanderkam March 6, 2014 at 11:42 am

Once, we had a sitter, and went mattress shopping and to Costco together. Crazy times.
I’m a real paper person, too. On my smart phone I can’t just *see* my notes without opening an icon, and so it doesn’t really exist to me. I won’t remember to open it. I have a paper pocket calendar organized by weeks, and I write appointments and notes on that. Then I maintain a separate priorities list in a notebook that I also use for jotting down notes to myself. I make a new priorities list each week (professional and personal). That notebook sits on my desk so I see it while I’m working. Nothing fancy about that particular notebook — $2.38 seems like a good price!

17 Kristen March 6, 2014 at 3:18 pm

Yes-it really helps me to have something that’s always visible, not just when I click on it.

18 Katie @ The Surly Housewife March 6, 2014 at 2:28 pm

Ya gotta love Target clearance!! I am a paper person too. Although just recently I have been able to keep track of bills in iCalendar. It frees up so much space in my planner now. I need a big paper planner to keep track of all my homeschool and blogging stuff.

19 KT March 6, 2014 at 2:46 pm

I use both tech and paper. I do not have a smart phone, but I do use the calendar in Microsoft Entourage on my iMac. Entries can be made just one time or eternal and be color-coded, which I love. I am retired, having only personal entries to keep track of.

I keep a paper calendar for hubby who is not computer literate. Long before I used calendars on the computer, I designed my own using a spreadsheet program. I made 7 templates for months starting on Sun., Mon., etc. On the templates, I entered all of the weekly and monthly permanent items, using copy/paste. The first year I entered birthdays and anniversaries in blue on the 12 months, but I only print 3 months at a time because our medical appointments are 3 months apart. When one appointment is over, I copy/paste the next appointment. Currently my spreadsheet calendars range from March 2014 to March 2015. When April arrives, I create April 2015 by copying/pasting the blue events to their appropriate days in that month.

But what I really want to share are these shopping lists I found: http://speckless.wordpress.com/2012/05/10/printable-dollar-bill-lists/. They fit a need I had, but never thought of this solution, which works perfectly for me! They are printable lists the size of dollar bills. I don’t use them for groceries, but for odds and ends that I need to pick up the next time I’m out and about. They are handy to keep right with my $.

20 Jyl Boehms March 6, 2014 at 3:38 pm

I too have bought that same planner for the last 7 years. And I also keep them. (It’s fun to go back and see how crazy May was of that year, how did I ever do all that?? lol) My husband has begged and pleaded with me to go to an electronic calendar ‘So we can sink them up’ and I just can’t do it. I love flipping it open to the month and I can see my 4 boys sports practices, games, haircut appointments, cub scout meetings, etc. all right there for me.

21 Gladys March 6, 2014 at 5:16 pm

I love writing down all my do-to-list and the family’s activities on a paper and I write mine on a notebook pad I bought at Goodwill for .99 cents this year. Having planner is pretty nice because it looks so organized, anyways, both works for me!

22 Jo@simplybeingmum March 7, 2014 at 7:11 am

Love planners…….

23 Lorraine March 8, 2014 at 11:40 pm

I am also a pen and paper kinda girl. Partly because I enjoy the tactile feel of pen and paper and partly because I find it easier than electronic calendars. At work I am required to keep project deadlines and days off, etc. on an Outlook calendar I share with coworkers, and I can see the advantage of that, but I also use a paper calendar. It usually takes a few clicks to open the Outlook calendar, which is not a lot, but all I have to do to check the paper calendar is turn my head and glance at it.

24 Linda March 13, 2014 at 8:57 am

I use an electronic calendar. But I do carry around a paper calendar because I do not have a smartphone. I got my paper week at a glance calendar free from a local garden center. Some businesses have nice pocket sized calendars for free…just look for them.

25 Elizabeth March 18, 2014 at 12:23 pm

Hi,
I totally understand about keeping lists on paper, but now with your smart phone I would love to introduce you to a free app called Cozi. I used to use Notes on my iphone, but Cozi lets me organize better. You can keep your family schedule/calendar in there when you’re on the road (I keep a paper one still displayed at home too, but this helps me when I’m not at home & someone wants to know if we are free to do something.) Cozi also lets you make grocery lists & separate to do lists. You can even put your recipes on Cozi and it will help you make out your grocery list for the ingredients you need to buy when you menu plan.
If you are a family that mixes computers like we do (one MAC & one windows), this app works with both which has been a lifesaver for us. My husband can see when I add something else to our calendar & he can also add something to my shopping list too. I love the color coded (a different color per family member) calendar that is helpful when you have multiple children in different activities. (Helpful with teen home schoolers & knowing who is driving them to different activities as well.) There is a paid version of this app, but I’ve not found the need to purchase the paid version yet. I do still have paper lists that I use more at home, but I find myself using this more & more on the go. I think that is really the difference. (We now use our electronic calendar to fill in the paper one at home because the electronic one is the one that is most up to date.) I am on the go more with my older home school kids now & this is a real help without keeping lots of papers or a little notebook on me at all times. (I always have my phone with me. (Must have camera with me!) This has just been a real blessing to my family, so I thought I’d share.

God Bless!