Guys. I’m sold on the vinegar trick for berries.

by Kristen on December 27, 2013 · 10 comments

in Uncategorized

berries in vinegar

I’ve done it a couple of times now, and I’m never going back.

So simple and so amazing.

Read all about it (plus what I thought of the poking-holes-in-a-plastic-bag method of storing broccoli) in this month’s #SAVEITSUNDAY post.

P.S. Official Food Waste Friday post is over at Simply Being Mum this week.

1 Gail December 27, 2013 at 9:18 am

Vinegar must be the second most useful liquid in the universe. Thanks for the tip.
Happy New Year to your family. How can one feel love and warmth towards people she has never met in person? I think it is because of your strength with words and wonderful photos. If you lived here, I would do anything for you.

2 Kristen December 27, 2013 at 9:21 am

Aww, thank you…your comment made me smile. Happy New Year to you too!

3 Cheryl December 27, 2013 at 1:43 pm

I will be trying this tip! Totally off topic, but is that a vitamix mixer? If so, would you please share if you feel it is worth the price? I have been debating getting one, and am torn if it is truly worth the money. Thank you!

4 Kristen December 27, 2013 at 1:55 pm

It is! I bought it a year ago, and I’m planning to do a review in January (I wanted to use it for a good long time before I reviewed it.)

5 WilliamB December 28, 2013 at 7:51 am

Cheryl – I bought a new blender over the summer, so I happen to be current on blender ratings. For almost every situation, I think the Vitamix is overkill. It’s not that it isn’t a terrific blender, it’s that it’s overpowered and overpriced for what most homes need.

Both Cook’s Illustrated and Consumer Reports rates the $100 Ninja Blender highly. I prefer the $200 Breville blender because the jar feels sturdier to me than the Ninja jar. I’ve used it to crush ice, but more often I use it to make smoothies from frozen fruit.

(Another county heard from, as my grandmother would say.)

6 Diane C December 29, 2013 at 3:19 pm

Funny, I visited my sister yesterday. She purchased a new Vitamix last summer. Over Christmas, she used it to pulverize whole cloves. The mixer did the job, but the inside of the jar is so scratched that it’s no longer clear and it still smells of cloves after many washings. I noticed that it is on sale in the upcoming January Costco Circular and was considering buying one until I saw hers. Thanks for the other suggestions, William B. I’ll do some more research before plunking down any cash.

(Your grandmother sounds like a wise woman.)

7 gladys December 27, 2013 at 4:16 pm

Thank you for the tip Mrs. Frugal Girl, I will try it!

8 Sharon December 27, 2013 at 5:05 pm

Thank you so much for this tip! I will start using it right now. Vinegar is an amazing product. It cleans impeccably too!

9 Maria December 28, 2013 at 2:10 am

Yep! It’s an amazing hint and so simple. I used to have just about a whole fruit salad ruined by the strawberries going mouldy. I live in the sub tropics of Australia and raspberries will go mouldy here too so I do the vinegar trick with them too.

10 Arielle December 28, 2013 at 8:29 am

I have been doing this for a while, too. I actually do it with all of my fruits and veggies. It takes the shiny junk off apples, too.