Good Monday morning!

by Kristen on December 2, 2013 · 16 comments

in Miscellany

It’s Cyber Monday, actually…a day I enjoy much more than Black Friday, mostly because it doesn’t involve things like stampeding shoppers and standing outside on cold, dark mornings.

(I did buy one thing on Black Friday…. Desperate: Hope for the Mom Who Needs to Breathe, because it was on sale for $1.99. And actually, it still is as of this morning. I read about a third of it last night, and I thought it was really good.)

If you’re doing online shopping today (or anytime!), don’t forget to check Ebates to see if you can get some cash back for your shopping. It’s not usually an enormous percentage, but hey! Anything more than $0.00 cash back is a bonus in my book, as long as the item is something you were already planning on purchasing.

And for Cyber Monday, you can get double cash back at a lot of sites, which is pretty sweet.

Coupons, Promo Codes and Cash Back Savings - Ebates.com - Mozilla Firefox 1222013 62133 AM

I must say, I’m doing kind of awesome at remembering to check Ebates lately. Yay me!

(If you haven’t already signed up, hop on over to Ebates and get yourself an account. It’s fast, easy, and free and I can tell you from personal experience that they do pay out…I just deposited a $15 Ebates check last week, actually, and I’ve been a proud member since 2001, so that’s just the latest of many checks I’ve received from them over the years. ;) )

__________________

On a not-shopping note, I have some leftover mashed potatoes that I need to do something with. I’m thinking some potato bread is in our future.

I’m also thinking maybe I should try my hand at some gnocchi. I’ve never actually eaten gnocchi, so I’m not sure if I like them or not, but they seem like such a perfect way to use up mashed potatoes, and they don’t seem overly complicated.

I’ll probably give this recipe a shot.

If you have gnocchi tips, do leave a comment for this newbie!

_____________________________

Mr. FG and I made a battle plan for Christmas shopping on our last takeout date night…we’ve planned what we’re getting for pretty much everyone on our list, and we made a plan for splitting up the tasks.

IMG_8806

If all goes well, we’ll be done early, and that would be super fantastic.

_____________________________

Don’t forget that today is the last day you can snag some huge bonuses for opening checking and savings accounts with Capital One 360. If you open checking and savings accounts, you can get $200, and if you refer two friends, you get another $100, so you could get $300 all together!

(Which would be marvy-fab at any time of year but especially nice during this month of higher-than-usual expenditures for most of us.)

__________________________

Have a great Cyber Monday. I’m off to poke around and see if there are deals on any of the things I have on my shopping list. And I might pop back in this afternoon to share a few discounts you’d be interested in.

This post contains affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy for more details.

1 Elizabeth December 2, 2013 at 7:30 am

Are Canadians eligible for Ebates ?

2 Kristen December 2, 2013 at 7:39 am

Ooh, good question! Just googled it and yep, it looks like there is a Canadian version: http://www.ebates.com/canada.htm (not a referral link)

Yay! You can get cash back too!

3 Elizabeth December 2, 2013 at 8:08 am

Thank you Mrs.FG! It worked like a charm and there are all kinds of extra cash back offers for Canada too….hurray.

4 Kristen December 2, 2013 at 8:31 am

Oh, that’s lovely to hear. Yay for all of you Canadians!

5 Molly F.C. December 2, 2013 at 8:32 am

I make gnocchi, and I second the tip about not using too much flour. I also boil a test gnocchi or two to make sure my dough is correct. I like the blogger’s suggestion to pan fry the finished gnocchi in butter, (browned butter and sage is especially good), but you don’t have to do so. My family loves when I make it. Leftovers are gobbled up. Good luck!

6 carrie December 2, 2013 at 8:43 am

What is this thing called leftover mashed potatoes?! No comprende! :)

7 Kristen December 2, 2013 at 9:39 am

Ha! Well, there are so many other great things to eat at Thanksgiving…probably if I’d served them at a normal meal, I wouldn’t have this problem.

8 Elizabeth December 2, 2013 at 9:15 am

Sorry to bother you again but I am just trying the Potato bread recipe and is it really a tablespoon of salt? I am using my bread machine so I’ll let you know how it turns out.

9 Kristen December 2, 2013 at 9:38 am

Yep, that’s right! It makes two loaves, so each ends up with 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt. If you think that’s too salty, you could cut back to 2 teaspoons of salt, but don’t leave it out altogether or your yeast will go wild.

A loaf of bread usually does need between a teaspoon and a teaspoon and a half so that it won’t have a flat flavor.

10 Elaine in Ark December 2, 2013 at 11:16 am

You can just send those leftover mashed potatoes to me, as is. I *lovelovelove* mashed spuds and would just add a little butter, heat them up, and gobble them down!

I’m going to check that potato bread recipe and give it a go, when my new oven heating element arrives this week. My oven quit working on Thanksgiving day, when I was ready to pop my Orange Braised Carrots & Potatoes in to cook. I ended up taking all the ingredients to my sister’s house (where dinner was going to be served) and used her oven. It’s a real PIA not having my oven working. Just because it’s down, I want pot roast, pie, home made bread, oven roasted veggies, etc. etc. etc. Isn’t that always the way?

11 KimN December 2, 2013 at 12:49 pm

I’ve never made tasty gnocchi so no tips there. I usually use my leftover mashed potatoes to make pierogies. Its a lot of work and very time consuming so I usually make a ton and freeze them for several meals worth. Definitely worth it though, they are delicious!! Good luck with the gnocchi!

12 Elizabeth December 2, 2013 at 1:52 pm

The bread was successful even without all the salt although next time I will use the full TBSP. It doesn’t look as good as your bread but it is delicious! I used my bread machine and followed the recipe exactly (except for salt mistake) and used 5 cups of flour. Just thought I would share that with your readers. Picture on Instagram elizmac8. Thank you for a great way to use up my potatoes.

13 Kristen December 2, 2013 at 7:31 pm

Oh, that’s lovely to hear. Yay!!!

14 Liz @ Economies of Kale December 2, 2013 at 9:06 pm

Potato pancakes are also a great way to use up mashed potato (or are just a delicious thing to eat!)

15 Eileen December 3, 2013 at 5:00 pm

I’m “kicking” myself that I haven’t been on the computer for a few days and missed out on the great Capitol 360 incentive! Will have to pay better attention for their next promotion ~ I’m fairly new to your blog and I really enjoy it! Keep up the good work…..

16 MelissaZ December 6, 2013 at 2:47 pm

You’ve probably already made you’re gnocci, so hopefully it turned out good. If you haven’t, my advice is to not make the gnocci too big; they don’t taste/cook the same. It’s tempting to make them larger because it can be a little time consuming to make. I also don’t roll them on a fork or thumb indent & I think they taste fine.

Sweet potato gnocci is very tasty too, if you ever have too many sweet potatoes. It’s actually one of the few ways I can make myself eat sweet potatoes.