A quick Food Waste Friday

by Kristen on December 20, 2013 · 7 comments

in Uncategorized

I switched the DNS on my site this morning, so it’s officially in the process of being switched over to the new server.

Because of that, I’m not even sure how long this post will be up, and that’s why I’m not gonna make it very fancy.

(If you’re seeing this post, it’s because the blog hasn’t migrated yet.)

Here’s what I had to throw away this week:

IMG_7708-001

The sour cream had pink mold it in, and I forgot about the taco meat (darn back of the fridge!)

The stuff in the bottom is cornmeal polenta, which I used to make some fried mush. I didn’t cook all of it up, and put the extra in the fridge. But in less than 24 hours, it had gone bad, which confounds me. I’ve never had it go bad that quickly before.

So, not an awesome week around here.

On the topic of food waste: I have a Save it Sunday post for you (I’m reporting back on how well the berry rinsing and broccoli storing methods worked), but I’m just gonna hang on to it until the bloggity-blog is migrated.

Hopefully next time I post something here, we’ll be riding on the shiny new server!

1 Liz @ Economies of Kale December 20, 2013 at 7:52 am

I had meat go bad this week as well from being in the fridge too long – so frustrating! But I managed to eat up all of the fruit and veg in my fridge before leaving for my parents’ place, so hopefully I won’t come home to any waste!

2 Jo@simplybeingmum December 20, 2013 at 8:28 am

At least you got your post up! Just pitched up for my physio appt… Busy today . Mine will be early evening! There is a ‘how to make a sugar paste snowman’ still over st mine. Good luck with the migration :-)

3 WilliamB December 23, 2013 at 6:33 am

This is strange – earlier I saw a post that’s on your new host, now I see these from your old host but not the post that’s on your new host.

I wasted a cucumber this week.

4 Kristen December 23, 2013 at 6:37 am

I think what happened is that they refreshed the migration, which means that everything from the old blog has now been moved over, but doing so probably erased anything that I posted here since the migration.

There were some formatting issues with the earlier migration, and those seem to have been fixed now, and all I posted here since the migration is a post about the migration, so I don’t really care if that’s gone (now, if I’d gone and posted a ginormous post about painting kitchen cabinets, then I’d be bummed!)

5 SandyH December 23, 2013 at 8:00 am

Just now seeing the food waste post as well. I wondered about it and skipped over to Jo’s to see if it was there! But them remembered all the new goings on related to the migration.

I’ve never participated in Food Waste Friday because honestly, it’s not well under my control. But I’m working on it. My main problem is (still) learning to cook ( and shop) for two, after many years of cooking for six!

I wasted a partial head of lettuce and a few leftovers this week, and like William, a cucumber. Produce is my weakest area.

6 Kristen December 23, 2013 at 8:13 am

Yup-all of that is just migration growing pains!

7 kathy December 28, 2013 at 8:09 pm

I just did a fridge clean out. Unfortunately celery that I meant to use st Christmas got pushed to the back of the fridge along with chicken casserole. Also several containers of yogurt that had need there for awhile. Big fail this week. My New year’s resolution include decreasing food waste.