About that whole homemade Oxi-clean vs. dollar store Oxi-clean thing…

by Kristen on October 18, 2013 · 21 comments

in Laundry

Remember how I tried making my own oxi-clean this summer? And remember how fabulously it worked on underarm stains?

oxi clean before and after armpit stain

(I know. This is such a fun topic, isn’t it? Sweat and armpits are where it’s at!)

Well, in the discussion on that post, it was pointed out that you can get super cheap oxygen cleaner at dollar stores, and the price of that stuff beats the homemade stuff any day.

dollar store oxy clean

So, I went out and bought myself a container, but I couldn’t really test it right away because I’d already gone on an oxi-cleaning-the-underarms-of-all-the-shirts spree.

(Try not to be jealous of my super-exciting life, mmkay?)

Anyway, after a summer of wear, some of my previously clean shirts were needing another deep clean, and I discovered that some of my winter shirts could really use some help as well.

I cracked open my container of dollar store oxi-clean, dissolved a scoop in a small amount of warm water, and poured it on the underarms of the shirts. After a good long soak, I laundered them and I have to say, I was kind of disappointed in the results.

I mean, the shirts were cleaner than they were before, but this stuff wasn’t nearly as good at removing odors as the homemade version was, and it also was less effective at removing deodorant/sweat stains.

So, I made up a batch of the homemade stuff, poured it on the offending areas, let them sit overnight, laundered them, and tada! They’re clean and stink-free.

homemade oxi clean vs. dollar store oxi clean

Now, I don’t know…maybe this dollar store oxi-clean is pretty good at removing other kinds of stains or at whitening laundry, so I’ll keep it around and give it a try on other laundry issues.

But when it comes to the underarms of shirts, I’m gonna stick with the homemade stuff.

_________________

P.S. Food Waste Friday is over at Simply Being Mum today.

P.P.S. The $15, 15-ebook bundle sale is over tomorrow, so if you were wanting to buy one, go get it today. Or tomorrow. But not Sunday.

1 Alice October 18, 2013 at 7:56 am

Good to know. You said in the original homemade version post that baking soda OR washing soda work? Which one do you use more often.

Also, any luck at getting out tomato sauce or coffee stains with this?

2 Kristen October 18, 2013 at 9:34 am

I tend to use baking soda, only because it seems a little less harsh to me. I did try it with the washing soda, though.

Tomato sauce stains: my go-to is laying the garment out in the sun. Work like a charm! Coffee I’m not very experienced with.

3 Alice October 18, 2013 at 12:21 pm

In the sun you say….I will try that, thanks.

4 ann a October 18, 2013 at 7:59 am

Inn your original post, you did two treatments, soaks, & washes with the homemade stuff. I wonder if the cheap dollar store stuff would’ve been great after two treatments. (I didn’t remember you had done two, by the way; I just followed your link and retread it.). I’m curious bc I am cheap and lazy and want the store bought stuff to be just as good as the homemade. ;-)

5 Kristen October 18, 2013 at 8:02 am

That occurred to me, but the first go-round with the homemade stuff (back in June) was still significantly more effective than the first go-round with the storebought.

Plus, when I made the batch of homemade stuff this past week, I used it on a bunch of shirts that hadn’t even gotten a first treatment with the store-bought stuff, and they came out perfect on the first try.

I mean, if the store-bought is working for you, I see no reason to change! But if your experience is like mine and the store-bought stuff isn’t very effective, then give the homemade a try.

6 Kristen October 18, 2013 at 8:03 am

I just realized that what I wrote could be confusing. When I originally tried this back in June, only the seriously old, seriously stained shirts needed two treatments. The newer shirts turned out fine after one treatment with the homemade stuff.

On the other hand, when I tried the dollar store oxi-clean on some newish winter shirts, it was pretty ineffective, especially on the odor-removal front.

7 ann a October 18, 2013 at 8:00 am

“Inn”. That was a fun typo.

8 Marisa October 18, 2013 at 9:02 am

Do

9 Marisa October 18, 2013 at 9:03 am

Does this bleach clothes at all? I’ve always been hesitant to try oxyclean on colore

10 Marisa October 18, 2013 at 9:05 am

Comment box = not mobile friendly. You get my question though.

11 Kristen October 18, 2013 at 9:28 am

So sorry about that! I have personally not had any issues with this bleaching clothes…I used the homemade version and the commercial version on dark-colored shirts (brown, black, dark red, dark pink) and had no issues.

12 Lisa October 19, 2013 at 10:12 am

I tried your homemade oxi-clean recipe after your last post. As some others commented on your last post, I too had some bleaching of my darker coloured shirts. So beware, and try it with caution. It is strange though, some of my darker shirts were fine and others bleached. I looked at materials, but 2 were 100% cotton and one bleached and the other did not! Thank goodness most of them were old, but I did lose one good light blue shirt to bleaching. I was also sloppy in applying the stuff and must have dripped onto the front of the shirt where there is now a tie-die effect.

13 Brooke October 18, 2013 at 10:04 am

Thanks for the heads-up! You inspired me to mix up a batch of the homemade stuff right away! :)

14 Jamie October 18, 2013 at 11:17 am

Is the homemade version color-safe? I have used Oxy-Magic before, and it put a very light bleach stain on the fabric.

15 Kristen October 18, 2013 at 12:11 pm

My dark colors have been just fine so far, but I haven’t tried oxy-magic before, so I’m not sure how it compares.

16 Stef October 18, 2013 at 1:39 pm

I too shall try, I was trying my expensive Oxy and STILL stained and unhappy!

17 Stef October 18, 2013 at 1:43 pm

So here is a stupid question when you let them soak in the solution, do you add additional water, to fill the cooler? Or just place the stuff on the stains and let it sit?

18 amber October 18, 2013 at 1:52 pm

I need to make another batch of the homemade recipe too. I used it on about 5 different shirts the first time around and it worked great. I wish I knew about it years ago before tossing so many shirts. I also learned that the stains (brown yellowish color) are usually not sweat stains but, the chemicals from the deodorant. I watched a youtube video where someone had the same problem and then switched to a natural crystal deodorant and never had the problem again.

19 Arlyn October 19, 2013 at 9:33 am

We purchase Oxygen Pro. It’s a generic version of Oxy Clean that is much cheaper than the brand name. I get it at Von’s, our neighborhood grocery store. Is the LA’s Awesome brand just as good? Thanks.

20 Arlyn October 19, 2013 at 9:35 am

Also, I love the homemade Oxy Clean. Very simple.

21 Jen October 20, 2013 at 7:33 am

I tried the Dollar Store oxi clean also and was totally unimpressed. Then I got the real stuff and was equally unimpressed. I know people who don’t use any spot treatment but put a scoop of oxi clean in every load and swear by it. I certainly didn’t have that luck. Maybe it’s our water?