Pineapple Salsa

by Kristen on May 14, 2013 · 22 comments

in Aldi

Every now and then Aldi sends me a small gift certificate along with a list of seasonal projects or the option to go it on my own. I chose the latter this time around, and decided to use my certificate to buy some ingredients to make this salsa, which has been my favorite thing to eat of late.

pineapple salsa

It’s a nice bit of a change from regular tomato salsa, it’s not expensive to make, and it contains nothing but raw produce (and salt.)

It’s also super delicious.

I cheated a teeny bit this time around, because the salsa does call for two ingredients that my Aldi doesn’t currently carry: cilantro and a jalapeno pepper. I hear some Aldi stores do have these in their produce departments, though, so for some of you, this could be a 100% Aldi dish. ;)

I was all organized-like and took a picture of my ingredients. Except, um, I forgot to include the red onion. Please imagine one in the photo somewhere.

IMG_8717

Just so you know, salsa is quite a flexible thing, so while I’m sharing the ingredients and proportions I use, feel free to change it up to suit your tastes.

Cut the top, bottom and peel off of the pineapple (I do mine kind of like this, except I’m not as careful about the eye removal!) and then chop it into small pieces. The smaller, the better.

IMG_8722

If you’re skeered of cutting up a pineapple (though really, it’s not that hard), you can always use canned pineapple. I prefer the texture and flavor of the fresh stuff, though, and hey, a fresh pineapple has zero packaging waste.*

Which is always marvelous.

*assuming you compost the peel

Ok. You’ll also need to chop up some red onion and jalapeno. Depending on how iron-clad your mouth is, you may want to remove the ribs and seeds of the pepper (that’s where lots of the heat resides) before you chop it up.

IMG_8725

The family FG, we are wussies, so I remove the seeds and ribs.

Lastly, you’ll need to dice some red pepper and chop some cilantro. If you loathe cilantro, you can leave it out. I like cilantro in pretty much everything, though, so I always add it.

Bring on the cilantro!!

IMG_8728

Mix the pineapple, veggies, and cilantro together in a bowl and add salt to taste. I usually start with 1/2 teaspoon and go from there.

We like to eat our salsa with corn chips, and I always have a bag of Aldi tortilla chips around (I eat them with guacamole all the time.)

IMG_8729

You can refrigerate your salsa and eat it later (it’ll keep for a few days in the fridge) but if you’re too impatient, you can dig in right away.

IMG_8737

Oh, and you don’t have to just eat this with chips. It’s also lovely on top of grilled meats, in fajitas, on tacos, or in a burrito.

Go make some, k?

Pineapple Salsa

4 cups diced pineapple
1/2 cup diced red onion
3/4 cup diced sweet red pepper
1/2-1 jalapeno pepper, diced (remove seeds and ribs if you want less heat)
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/2-1 teaspoon salt

Mix all ingredients in a bowl. Taste and add salt as necessary.

Disclosure: Aldi sent me a gift certificate, but they have not bought my adoration (that’s 100% natural!), they didn’t come up with this recipe, and my opinions and words are all my own.

________________________________

Joshua’s 365 post: My latest origami

1 Tammy May 14, 2013 at 9:24 am

Yum! This looks delicious! Can’t wait to give it a try!

2 Becky, aka SimplyBurbs Mama May 14, 2013 at 9:24 am

I love salsa … but I’ve always assumed it was much harder to make than that! (Although, now thinking about it logically, I’m not sure what I thought would be difficult … ) This will definitely go on my ‘to try’ list; this looks super duper yummy, and healthy to boot. Double yay :-)

3 Economies of Kale May 14, 2013 at 9:34 am

This looks delicious :) I wouldn’t have thought to use pineapple in salsa but I’m sure it’s great.

4 BarbaraB May 14, 2013 at 9:45 am

I would like a squeeze of lime juice in this recipe….but then I like lime in pretty much everything I make using cilantro!

5 Lili@creativesavv May 14, 2013 at 9:49 am

Yum! That looks fresh! In summer I adore all kinds of less traditional salsas, my favorite being peach salsa. I’ve been seeing great deals on peppers (both sweet and hot) in the markdown bin at our local produce stand. Looks like salsa may be in my near future.

6 Elizabeth May 14, 2013 at 10:30 am

Have you tried the blue corn tortilla chips at Aldi’s? They are my favorite out of all of the various brands we’ve tried (even some fancy ones!). Bonus is that they are from organic corn.

7 Katie @ Horrific Knits May 14, 2013 at 11:13 am

We love the blue corn chips! I like taking them to parties because they have such a visible impact.

8 SandyH May 14, 2013 at 10:53 am

Oh I also wish my Aldi carried cilantro, but mine DOES have fresh jalapeņo, in a multipack shrinkwrap tray. I made red salsa Sunday morning :-)

9 Katie @ Horrific Knits May 14, 2013 at 11:13 am

I used to make salsa with mango and mint all the time, then I developed what I think is an allergy to mango. Now I do pineapple or peach with mint-I’m one of those people who thinks cilantro tastes like soap. It’s one of my favorite potluck dishes because it’s so portable.

10 Pamela @ Brooklyn Farm Girl May 14, 2013 at 11:40 am

I have been looking for a good pineapple salsa to try, thanks for this!

11 Susan May 14, 2013 at 12:14 pm

I LOVE pineapple salsa. Of course, mine isn’t homemade. Was your pineapple really sweet? That makes the best salsa. I love to eat pineapple salsa on scrabbled eggs with some avocado. Super Yummy!

12 Sarah May 14, 2013 at 12:24 pm

Yum. This reminds me of eating cold pineapple chunks with salt and red pepper flakes when we were in Cambodia and Thailand. Now I’m 38 weeks pregnant and constantly feel like I’m in a tropical country (hot!). This salsa would really hit the spot.

13 jackie Brown May 14, 2013 at 1:11 pm

Hi Kristen, I just made this for my ball park picnic, along with BLT wraps. It’s going to be fantastic; thanks for the recipe. I had all the ingredients from Aldi, too. I use the pickled jalepenos for pico all the time; it keeps me from having to worry about hot fingers or burned eyes ;)

14 Kristen May 14, 2013 at 1:17 pm

Woo, you get an award for prompt application of a blog post!

15 Deb May 14, 2013 at 3:00 pm

Gonna have to try that, I hate mangoes (even though I grew up in Honolulu), but I think I would like the pineapple, but I am partial to the On the Border corn chips, Walmart carries them now in thin and original, they are THE best corn chips. ;)

16 Amie May 14, 2013 at 3:51 pm

When I lived in Georgia, a coworker of mine would take the top of the pineapple and grow a new plant.

17 Alyssa May 14, 2013 at 9:04 pm

This looks really tasty, I’d love to try it this Summer! Do you think it is definitely best to do all that dicing by hand, or would it be possible to use a food processor to cut down the prep time?

18 Michelle May 14, 2013 at 11:39 pm

Did you know that you can regrow a pineapple from the top of one? Just cut the top off – put it inside in the sunshine to dry for about a month – and plant! At the very least, you get a free plant and at the very best – the cutest, sweetest little pineapple!

19 Maddie May 14, 2013 at 11:48 pm

My first thought was how pretty your salsa is!

20 EngineerMom May 15, 2013 at 5:28 pm

Looks yummy!

If you’re interested in “buying local” for your tortilla chips (and probably tortillas, as well), check out a local Mexican restaurant. DH and I discovered that our favorite one sells their tortilla chips by the bag. They’re unsalted, which is how we like them, made fresh in the restaurant every day, and helps to support a local business. In terms of cost per ounce, they run pretty much what we were paying for regular chips in the store, except they’re truly the extra-thick “restaurant” quality. Here in Seattle, it’s a little under $5 for what amounts to a roughly 2-pound bag of chips.

21 Kristen May 15, 2013 at 5:56 pm

Katy from the Non Consumer Advocate does that! I haven’t tried it myself, though. We do have some local Mexican places around here…

22 Sande June 16, 2013 at 6:43 pm

I make this salsa too. But I add lime juice and a little honey. It’s great!