A new use for asparagus rubber bands

by Kristen on April 1, 2013 · 14 comments

in Green and Frugal

IMG_7270

The other day, I was cleaning the glass domes on my kitchen ceiling fan (a job which is done only rarely around here, let me assure you!). When I took the domes down to wash them, I saw that the original rubber bands that go around the top of the domes had become very brittle.

So brittle, in fact, that they were completely useless. They fell apart at the slightest touch, and so they were no longer providing any cushion between the dome and its housing.

I rummaged through my kitchen junk drawer and came across some purple asparagus rubber bands that I’d saved (One can never have too many rubber bands, you know!) and lo and behold, they were a perfect fit.

IMG_7255

One the dome is screwed into the fixture, the purple rubber band isn’t at all visible.

Sweet.

So, hang on to your asparagus rubber bands because they just might come in handy. ;)

IMG_7273

__________________________

Joshua’s 365 post: When did this happen?

1 jodie April 1, 2013 at 7:08 am

oh, these are super perfect for opening tight lids, too. wrap one around the lid and it gives you the grip you need. i have always used the broccoli rubber bands, but i imagine the asparagus ones would work the same ;)

2 Economies of Kale April 1, 2013 at 7:20 am

Awesome :) I also save all of my rubber bands, but use them for the slightly more boring use of keeping spice packets closed in the freezer. I like Jodie’s suggestion of using them to open jars as well, I’ll have to try that :)

3 Victoria April 1, 2013 at 7:40 am

Great Idea! My newest repurposing project is making the mesh bags our oranges come in into pot scrubbers using a post I found on Money Saving Mom over a year ago. You fold the bags up into a small rectangle and then crochet and edge around them. Work great!

4 EcoCatLady April 1, 2013 at 1:28 pm

I do the same thing but I’m far too lazy to crochet them. I just wad one up into a ball and shove it inside another one. Then I tie a knot in the outside one. Works great, although I’m sure yours are much prettier!

5 Ellen S April 1, 2013 at 8:27 am

I have used mine like this too! works perfectly!!

6 RebeccaScaglione - Love at First Book April 1, 2013 at 8:29 am

Amazing idea! Glad you had that inspiration and I will from now on save a few of those bands!

7 Jen April 1, 2013 at 8:38 am

My husband figured this out a few years ago. It worked fantastic! I started hoarding asparagus rubber bands. ;) Be warned… over a few time the heat from the lights starts making the rubber bands smell really bad. I can’t even stand to turn on the light now. The bands will eventually become brittle too. Perhaps changing them more often would help. :)

8 The Norwegian Girl April 1, 2013 at 10:46 am

good idea on how to reuse those rubber bands ! :-)

9 EcoCatLady April 1, 2013 at 1:30 pm

See… this is why I have trouble throwing anything out!

My most recent use for them was to secure an old nylon stocking to the washing machine drain tube to catch the lint before it can clog the drain.

10 carol April 1, 2013 at 2:55 pm

Great tip! I would have never thought of that. Thanks so much for sharing! :)

11 Felicia April 1, 2013 at 3:34 pm

Yes you can never have to many rubber bands.

Is it sad that I had no clue that there was supposed to be a rubber band between the dome and the housing piece?

12 heather April 1, 2013 at 3:47 pm

So many great ideas for reuses here! Now I know why I keep saving rubber bands & mesh bags. :)

13 Jill April 1, 2013 at 7:31 pm

Great ideas here! Looking forward to (hopefully) more!

On a similar-ish note, wondering if you, or any readers, have ideas for ways to reuse twist ties? I know there’s the obvious of holding stuff closed, and we use them to hold cords together, but I have so many! The bakery I buy from uses one every time, but they’re not very long ones (so not as useful) so I have a heap in the drawer. And never think to take them with me so they don’t have to give me a new one!

14 Jewlz April 3, 2013 at 8:12 pm

LOL I, too, am a crazy rubber band saver! I even save the bags that asparagus occasionally comes in. LOL I figure, they are small, don’t take up much space, and have tons of uses! :) It’s always the small things that end up being the most useful!