A kitchen photo dump

by Kristen on April 17, 2013 · 26 comments

in Kitchen Happenings

We had a Kitchen Happenings post just a few weeks ago, but I have more photos, and they must be shared. Because it’s no fun to keep photos to yourself!

I’ve been on a quest to add more and more vegetables to our diet (because they are both cheap and nutritious, which makes Kristen happy.), and so the vegetable section of my Cook’s Illustrated cookbook has been getting a bit of a workout.

IMG_6518

The “more vegetables” thing has been met with mixed reactions from my kids, most of whom would prefer to stick with fruit instead of veggies.

(And yes, I know that butternut squash is technically a fruit, but I’m operating with the “If it has seeds and isn’t particularly sweet, then it’s a vegetable.” definition. Because really, who mixes up green peppers and tomatoes and calls it a fruit salad??)

*steps down from the vegetable definition soapbox*

I’ve roasted lots of veggies this winter, but now that warmer weather has arrived, raw vegetables are becoming more appealing.

IMG_7496

Grapefruit season is coming to an end for us, as Aldi doesn’t really carry them during the warmer months. But when we do have grapefruits, we like to eat them with a spoon and then squeeze out the remaining juice into a glass. There’s a surprising amount left in there, even when you think you’ve scooped it out pretty well with your spoon.

IMG_6524

My table is almost always filled with food made from Cook’s Illustrated recipes. This particular day, I had three at once…Chipotle Lime Chicken Breasts, a tomato-basil salad, and scalloped potatoes (which are an odd thing to have with chipotle chicken breasts, to be sure, but I had to use up my potatoes!)

IMG_6530

Speaking of scalloped potatoes…I don’t use my food processor terribly often, but I do adore having it on hand when I need to make scalloped potatoes. It’s so fast and makes such even slices.

IMG_7344

I’ve been eating lots of yogurt at breakfast. It is 95% more fabulous when you stir in fresh mango and strawberry and sprinkle granola on top.

(That’s clumpalicious granola, but it was from the bottom of the container, which is why there are no clumps!)

IMG_7193

Though I don’t normally buy a lot of jello, the most recent birthday person here at Chez Frugal Girl requested Seven Layer Jello, an old recipe from my side of the family.

IMG_7257

That meal was, um, not full of vegetables.

And neither was the dessert.

(Not that dessert generally contains vegetables, but I needed a segue. Work with me here.)

It was an ice cream crunch cake, which I covered with a cereal bag and a rubber band.

IMG_7262

It’s not purty, but it works, and I do stuff like this because I hate to use plastic wrap. I actually just finished up a roll that I’ve had for years, and I’m pretty darn pleased it took me years to use it up.

IMG_7264

I’ve been experimenting with my bunny-roll shaping technique. Which do you think is best?

IMG_7347

Sonia and Zoe and I are continuing to work our way through our Usborne science activity book. Here, we observed how water, unlike most other substances, expands when it freezes.

IMG_7380

And we made a fun thermometer using a bottle, dyed water, play-doh, and a straw. Immersed in hot water, the water level rises, and in cold water, it falls.

IMG_7386

Photo bomber.

IMG_7390

And lastly, I remembered to cut some daffodils and bring them inside. Yay me! I hate it when I forget about this until after the daffodils are done.

IMG_7493

Ok! I think I’m all caught up on sharing kitchen photos now (at least, until another few weeks go by. The kitchen, it is a busy and well-photographed place.)
__________________________________________

P.S. Until midnight tonight, you can still enter to win the Shabby Apple $50 gift card. The winner is randomly chosen, so you have as good a chance as anyone. Enter yourself!

1 Maureen April 17, 2013 at 7:52 am

Butternut squash is a fruit?? Say it ain’t so! (Also in the fruit > veggies camp, but always working not to be. But really, butternut squash is my favorite food on the planet!)

2 Battra92 April 17, 2013 at 9:52 am

Squash is a fruit, just like tomatoes, chiles (with an E), peas, cucumbers, pumpkin (a kind of squash, really) and beans.

I find it interesting that the only vegetables on Veggie Tales are the asparagus.

3 Sarah April 17, 2013 at 8:48 am

The picture of seven layer jello makes me so happy. :)

4 Battra92 April 17, 2013 at 9:31 am

When I was a kid we made that thermometer experiment using a 35mm film canister. I don’t know that most kids would know what that is. :P

5 Economies of Kale April 17, 2013 at 9:31 am

I’m a little bit confused about the Jello – are you saying it was the meal and then you had cake? Was the Jello savoury? I’ve never ever seen it as a meal before, so am curious :)

Thanks for the tip about the grapefruits – I will be trying that one out. Also you can include veggies in dessert – tonight I had a very yummy sticky rice with butternut pumpkin (squash). But I think the butternut pumpkin we get here is sweeter than in the rest of the world.

6 Kristen May 2, 2013 at 9:29 pm

Oh, no, we DID eat things other than the jello. But our birthday meals aren’t known for being especially healthy. We eat all sorts of things we don’t generally eat.

7 Lili@creativesavv April 17, 2013 at 9:37 am

The jello salad looks beautiful. Please share what the layers are!!

8 Sydney April 17, 2013 at 9:43 am

Your blog always has such wonderful photos. I especially love the daffodils! My favorite bunny is the one on the far right. Will you post/have you posted your recipe for seven layer jello? I would like to try that out.

9 Joyce April 17, 2013 at 10:10 am

I love these kind of posts. !!! <3

10 Emily April 17, 2013 at 10:27 am

Why does water expand when it freezes, but with your homemade thermometer the water rises when warm but falls when cold?

11 Battra92 April 17, 2013 at 3:05 pm

Water expands and contracts like normal until around 39F which is just above the freezing point. As there is now less heat there is less motion of atoms and molecules and thus hydrogen can create bonds with other hydrogen atoms and the water molecules create a crystalline structure that is less dense than plain old water which is why it expands.

12 Anna@stuffedveggies April 17, 2013 at 10:46 am

I LOVE your vegetable definition! Nobody has broccoli & cabbage for dinner and says “We’re having flowers tonight!” or celery & asparagus and proclaims, “It’s stems for dinner!” Of course tomatoes, peppers & squash are veggies : ) (This all started because of a Supreme Court case decades ago when Tomato growers didn’t want to pay a tax on vegetables, BTW).

And I think I might try your thermometer thing with my daughter – that looks so fun : )

13 SOS April 17, 2013 at 10:54 am

I love a lot of their clothes but I would pick sea breeze.

14 Bonnie April 17, 2013 at 1:17 pm

Do you have a recipe for the dip you have in the second photo? Looks delish!

15 AFS April 17, 2013 at 2:12 pm

I do the same with my grapefruit.
I like the middle bunny best but it is a tough call.
Pheasant eye narcissus are my all time favorite flower, they won’t be blooming here for at least two more weeks so its nice to get to look at yours.

16 Kris April 17, 2013 at 2:24 pm

I love it that rhubarb is technically a vegetable but we eat it as a fruit. Bonus! Too bad ours doesn’t grow better.

Battra92 has a point about the veggies on VeggieTales … never thought of it like that before. Hmmm.

17 janknitz April 17, 2013 at 3:33 pm

Thanks for the memories! Grapefruits are one of my favorite (but I don’t eat them anymore). Somehow they taste better when you eat them halved like that, with a real authentic grapefruit spoon (pointy end, serrated edges). I love scraping out every last bit and then squeezing the juice, sticky hands and all!

My mom did precut each grapefruit piece along the segments to help little hands, and we ate our grapefruits with lots of table sugar sprinkled on top. I learned how to pick out the sweet grapefruits as an adult, and I would never sprinkle sugar on them any more!

18 Diane April 17, 2013 at 4:15 pm

Three cheers for the bunny on the left.

Also, here’s one of my favorite quotes. Not 100% positive about the source, I have seen it attributed to others or even the famous author “Unknown”.

Miles Kington – “Knowledge is knowing the tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting in your fruit salad.”

19 Kristen May 2, 2013 at 9:30 pm

I like that!

20 Jenny April 17, 2013 at 8:40 pm

You can grate carrots into green jello to get veggies with dessert. My mom made this as a kid, and I loved it then. I’m not sure if I’d like it anymore.

The bunny on the left looks more like a cat to me, but it’s cute. The way the dough is curled around reminds me of a cat with its tail curled around it. The one in the center just needs a little puff of dough for a bunny tail.

21 Amy April 18, 2013 at 8:56 am

That 7 layer jello is awesome!

22 The Norwegian Girl April 18, 2013 at 11:35 am

your pictures actually made me crave some vegetables!:-P
I like making tzatziki to dip carrots. It`s healthy and good!

23 Dori April 18, 2013 at 11:35 pm

Hey there, I think it’s really awesome that you’re trying to use less plastic wrap. I’m trying to do the same. Thought your use of an old cereal bag cut open instead of plastic wrap is brilliant! I never would have thought of that. Any chance you would be willing to do a post with tips on what you do to utilize so much less plastic wrap?

24 Jessica April 19, 2013 at 11:25 pm

I would love to see or get a link to the Sever Layer Jello Cake. Looks super cute and I want to try it out!

25 Amy @ Fun With Family and Fitness May 4, 2013 at 6:31 pm

Those bunny rolls are adorable! But I have to ask you, how old is that Hires root beer bottle? I didn’t think that was sold anymore! I remember not too long ago, I asked my parents, who live up north to bring me some down here in the South, but they couldn’t find it. I used to LOVE Hires root beer!!!!!! :)

26 Kristen May 4, 2013 at 9:07 pm

They do sell it here, but just in a few grocery stores. You have to look pretty hard for it.